Miners and explorers bottomed? or another head fake?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Miners and explorers bottomed? or another head fake?

Post by murphy_p_t »

Gold
Silver
Uranium
Rare earth

miners, explorers all rocketing higher today.

Bottom?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Miners and explorers bottomed? or another head fake?

Post by MachineGhost »

Getting close, but not yet.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
jabba
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jabba »

I am averaging in now, when it goes there are going to be some 10 baggers.

Look at the link below and then go and look at a chart of silver. See any correlation? I think gold has more to go than silver to shake the truly faithful out, IMO we are entering the final phase that will crush people that have hung on for so long.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content ... 1.png  ( this is not my chart and I feel that we are well below" we are here")

I am also looking at some uranium now, same stocks went bezerk this week. I am nursing some long term uranium losses and have watched them dwindle and it hurts so much that now I know is the time to buy or very close, so the best I can do is keep buying on pullbacks now.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

jabba wrote: I am averaging in now, when it goes there are going to be some 10 baggers.
today must be very encouraging for you...
jabba
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jabba »

Yeah nice
Mike59

Post by Mike59 »

After a nasty December smackdown to 150 and a big run up to 220, the HUI is holding at the 180 mark as of today, anyone still buying or holding gold stocks? Any signals or signs to jump into this market? 

I'm all out currently (played around between HUI 220 and 280 early last year, left with my shirt and tail between my legs!), I have no idea if or when I'd get back into these but there's definitely a place in my heart for such gambling  :o

Some of my favorites:
B2 Gold  (I never knew the day would arrive sub $2.00!?)
Guyana goldfields
New Gold
Kinross
GLDX ETF

My quick take on this market is that the bull status gets confirmed at the .618 fib level (or HUI 450) between the 2014 146 low and 2011 638 high, I'd like to see the monthly MACD run above and hold the zero line. The gains would be monumental (easily a triple bagger) for those with patience to hold from now until then, whenever that is...
"Thanks, give me the gold" - Kyle Bass
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

We have so much already invested in gold instruments so why not find something entirely different to speculate in?
Mike59

Post by Mike59 »

Reub wrote: We have so much already invested in gold instruments so why not find something entirely different to speculate in?
Probably because miners have been beaten down so much more, one could expect the gains to be much higher when this market turns. Gold bullion and oil have been smacked, but not 90% off the highs like the junior golds! I've toyed with the idea of averaging into the TSX venture etf which is essentially a small cap oil play.  Are there other sectors you feel will have potentially ridiculous returns?
"Thanks, give me the gold" - Kyle Bass
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

just make sure your picks arent heading to bankruptcy like allied nevada...a producer
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Unloaded most of my ticker:RING shares this morning. What a relief. Not much above breakeven, but it feels even better than profit-taking.
🍍
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: Unloaded most of my ticker:RING shares this morning. What a relief. Not much above breakeven, but it feels even better than profit-taking.
Good call.  It seems like we're having a blowoff top.  That's what I maybe mean by momentum all piling in but not lasting anymore.  It perhaps a legacy of momentum finally being acknowledged by the academics as "real".
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

And sold the rest of RING today. Huge relief.
MachineGhost wrote:
dualstow wrote: Unloaded most of my ticker:RING shares this morning. What a relief. Not much above breakeven, but it feels even better than profit-taking.
Good call.  It seems like we're having a blowoff top.  That's what I maybe mean by momentum all piling in but not lasting anymore.  It perhaps a legacy of momentum finally being acknowledged by the academics as "real".
🍍
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

We've all obviously been conditioned that gold only goes down.  After 5 years of it, I think (hope) you'll be slightly upset you didn't hold longer. 

But these are miners and miners and gold don't always follow the same tune.
Test of the signature line
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: We've all obviously been conditioned that gold only goes down.  After 5 years of it, I think (hope) you'll be slightly upset you didn't hold longer. 

But these are miners and miners and gold don't always follow the same tune.
Of course you're right. RING was a light higher a year or two ago and I missed my chance to sell.
I'm still comfortable holding real gold, and I bought more  when it was really beaten down, but I don't think the miners are for me.
🍍
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

looking back on this thread, I can now see I was a year early from the optimal time to get into mining shares.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I have some mad money that is falling into my hands... $100 - $120 per month. I'm going to try trend-following on a gold fund like TGLDX Tocqueville Gold Fund, mostly so I don't have to pay the collectibles capital gains tax.