Bitcoin giveaway! :)

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin giveaway! :)

Post by moda0306 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Can you collect on unemployment if you're not laid off and aren't actively searching for work?
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

moda0306 wrote: Can you collect on unemployment if you're not laid off and aren't actively searching for work?
Yes. I'll be unemployed, but not fired and pretending to look for work. That's the exact criteria.

You don't have to look for work. I was on unemployment when I left the Army 12 years ago. You just click a button online every two weeks saying you looked for work and they send you a check.
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Well, .... so much for Bitcoin issues. 
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 am

HB Reader wrote: Well, .... so much for Bitcoin issues.
Anything new going on with them? Price seems to be bouncing between $600-$700. I saw the alleged creator is denying that he had anything to do with them and that Bitcoin exchange CEO...umm....committed suicide. Any thoughts on any of that?
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 am

Kshartle wrote:
HB Reader wrote: Well, .... so much for Bitcoin issues.
Anything new going on with them? Price seems to be bouncing between $600-$700. I saw the alleged creator is denying that he had anything to do with them and that Bitcoin exchange CEO...umm....committed suicide. Any thoughts on any of that?
Yeah, the price seems to be bumping along just a little above $600.

I don't think the outing of Satoshi Nakamoto (if Newsweek is indeed correct), the failure of Mt Gox, or the CEO suicide (of which I know next to nothing) will have much longer term impact one way or another on BTC.  I suspect it will eventually either succeed or fail for substantive reasons that are more directly related to its viability.

As I mentioned before, why anyone would have left any large BTC balances at Mt Gox is puzzling.  Some of the primary attractions of BTC are that you can transfer it quickly and easily and store it safely at home.  It was clear many months ago that Mt Gox had problems.

Here is a Washington Post article on BTC from Sunday's edition:   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
dkalder
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by dkalder » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm

The volatility of this "currency" is worse than that of tech stocks ...
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Has anyone been spending their bitcoins?  I saw a show last night with Morgan Spurlock, called Inside Man, in which he attempts to live on bitcoins for a while.  It was on Netflix, season 3.

It was surprising how many places are starting to accept bitcoins.  The show got me fired up to use my bitcoins, and maybe even buy some more.  Marc was so generous in giving us a little bit to try it out, thanks again!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:19 pm

That really was generous of Marc, especially since he was optimistic about their rise in value.
I haven't spent mine, but I think of this thread every time the topic of bitcoins come up.

And, just least week I was going through an old folder and came upon a printout of my long password for my fraction of a bitcoin.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:37 pm

The show got me fired up to use my bitcoins, and maybe even buy some more.
Ive routinely gotten 20%+ off purchases on amazon using purse.io. Check it out.

Coinbase has a bitcoin debit card (Visa) that lets you spend your bitcoin pretty much anywhere. You can read more about it here https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/in ... hift-card/
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm

This is worth like fitty bucks $2k!!! now. Nice giveaway, hopefully you're rolling in so much dough you don't need it back!

Don't lose your wallets, people.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 am

bitcoininthevp wrote:
The show got me fired up to use my bitcoins, and maybe even buy some more.
Ive routinely gotten 20%+ off purchases on amazon using purse.io. Check it out.

Coinbase has a bitcoin debit card (Visa) that lets you spend your bitcoin pretty much anywhere. You can read more about it here https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/in ... hift-card/
hi

the link doesn't work :-(
HappyMan

Post by HappyMan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Any bitcoins left for a giveaway? Wanna try.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 am

ProShares has filed to offer Short Bitcoin ETF. Not sure of timing. Might be interesting to take the other side of the trade, but it could be like catching lightning in a jar.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 pm

ochotona wrote:ProShares has filed to offer Short Bitcoin ETF. Not sure of timing. Might be interesting to take the other side of the trade, but it could be like catching lightning in a jar.
If it is like the other derivative bitcoin products, they have daily swing limits at 20% or so and no actual bitcoin are involved.

Seems like it is just two guys flipping a coin to see who wins that day.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:15 am

Actually...if you can stand the boredom and stress of sitting in front of a computer screen all day, volatility like Bitcoin is exhibiting right now can be easy money (but it’s not fun money).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 am

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WARNING - ANCIENT THREAD
the giveaway is closed
It’s been quite a journey. In 2015, Austin Heller asked if anyone was spending their (fractional) coin gift.
Thanks to generous help from bitcoininthevp, I was finally able to re-access mine yesterday evening after a long period of dormancy and seed words that weren’t yielding anything. Of course, it was technical glitches that kept me from cashing out when my wallet’s contents were worth a tenth of what they were last night.

I immediately ordered some (fractional) gold with a vendor that takes bitcoin just so that i know i’m not dreaming. The payment was acknowledged about a ½ hour later. I usually use a paper check, so that was good.

The whole point of Marc de Mesel’s giveaway was to spark an interest in crypto. He’s still out there doing his thing on twitter, youtube and elsewhere. BCH, read.cash and all kinds of stuff.

I haven’t really made up my mind about cryptocurrencies, but I think I’m going to hold on to the remaining coin. I’ve got a sliver of ethereum via an etf and if I buy anything else it’ll be via PayPal, which I now like. That’s enough for me.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 am
WARNING - ANCIENT THREAD
the giveaway is closed
It’s been quite a journey. In 2015, Austin Heller asked if anyone was spending their (fractional) coin gift.
Thanks to generous help from bitcoininthevp, I was finally able to re-access mine yesterday evening after a long period of dormancy and seed words that weren’t yielding anything. Of course, it was technical glitches that kept me from cashing out when my wallet’s contents were worth a tenth of what they were last night.

I immediately ordered some (fractional) gold with a vendor that takes bitcoin just so that i know i’m not dreaming. The payment was acknowledged about a ½ hour later. I usually use a paper check, so that was good.

The whole point of Marc de Mesel’s giveaway was to spark an interest in crypto. He’s still out there doing his thing on twitter, youtube and elsewhere. BCH, read.cash and all kinds of stuff.

I haven’t really made up my mind about cryptocurrencies, but I think I’m going to hold on to the remaining coin. I’ve got a sliver of ethereum via an etf and if I buy anything else it’ll be via PayPal, which I now like. That’s enough for me.
I'm still trying to retrieve my sliver of a bitcoin. You're a lucky man, dualstow.

Bitcoininthevp accomplished the impossible.
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 am

It seems like there are a few slivers of bitcoin around this forum still.

I am happy to consult via private message here or secure email to help you get your bitcoin into your own control, or even buy gold or amazon gift cards with them.

My fees are 0%.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 am

bitcoininthevp is a good bro.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.