Bitcoin giveaway! :)

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin giveaway! :)

Post by Marc De Mesel »

Bean wrote: This is breathed new life into my monster gaming rig I built awhile ago, but now since I spend too much time in the real world to use anymore.

...Also, have all the parts order to build an ASIC mining set up.

Thank you Marc for a new hobby  ;)
Very welcome :)

Here the best bitcoin investment advice :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qooBzE2w
"We think, the more people on earth, the less we each have. But it's exactly the opposite, the more people, the more resources we all have!" - Julian Simon, The Ultimate Resource 2
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

If bitcoin(s) becomes the new world currency what will that do to my precious country???
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hello MARC,

How are you?

Can I start to belong to bitcoin family?

1A5iaKFGySRTJu6aauE8FBXdVq3j8x6QQf

With my best regards!
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Rien

Post by Rien »

Don't know if I qualify, or if your offer is still valid, but here is my account number: 1HaVqAS7Cr6nmcuFJQZ6MG7jSKe1ZgWWwc
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

RyeWhiskey wrote: Wow, mighty generous of you Marc. I never thought I'd get into bitcoins but I guess this would be the first step. Also, congratulations on your success - It's always nice to hear that someone is doing well.

1Nd3z24Y3kKM6LL2yzypi4uM2v7HuwMbPQ
Thanks so much for your congratulations RyeWhiskey! :)

BTC transferred. Great to hear this is your first step :)

Good luck in your investments :)
"We think, the more people on earth, the less we each have. But it's exactly the opposite, the more people, the more resources we all have!" - Julian Simon, The Ultimate Resource 2
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

Reub wrote: If bitcoin(s) becomes the new world currency what will that do to my precious country???
What are you concerns Reub?

Do you think bitcoin would impact the government of your country negatively? Or do you fear it would impact your fellow country men negatively?
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Hi Marc,
Thank you for your generous offer.  I have been paying attention to bitcoin but have not yet dipped my feet in the water, so your offer has spurred me to jump in.

17u9iM5BwvfEAQmE7T16qbqnUSaQZgq6Jw
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

Rien wrote: Don't know if I qualify, or if your offer is still valid, but here is my account number: 1HaVqAS7Cr6nmcuFJQZ6MG7jSKe1ZgWWwc
Hi Rien, I didn't get to replying but have enjoyed your posts and thoughts here very much :)

Coin send, hope you succeed in building a nice stash.  8)
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

frugal wrote: Hello MARC,

How are you?

With my best regards!
Marc, please don't forget me  :)
kapoios

Post by kapoios »

Thank you for your offer Marc. I haven't used the bitcoin concept in the past but I opened an account at the link you provided and I am curious to see how this thing works.

17DG2qoFdukuog4hpRhdCTiiKZgHbCSdcP

I guess this offer to own bitcoins is the equivalent of the cigar-butt approach with 100% margin of safety lol
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

How are you?

With my best regards!
Hey Frugal! :)

Welcome to the bitcoin family!  8)

Thank you so much for valuing my work and blog the past few years. :)

Hope you succeed in building it to 1 btc. Only 21 million people in the world will be able to own 1 full btc. And that is if no one else owns more than 1.

Here you can see a cool globe in 3D with all people currently running the bitcoin client:
https://blockchain.info/nodes-globe
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

kapoios wrote: Thank you for your offer Marc. I haven't used the bitcoin concept in the past but I opened an account at the link you provided and I am curious to see how this thing works.

17DG2qoFdukuog4hpRhdCTiiKZgHbCSdcP

I guess this offer to own bitcoins is the equivalent of the cigar-butt approach with 100% margin of safety lol
There you go. :)

You don't risk losing money with this free bitcoin, but if not valued it may cause regret one day.
Last edited by Marc De Mesel on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rien

Post by Rien »

Muchas Gracias Marc!
RickV42
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RickV42 »

Marc,

I'm always reading this site as there are many smart, mostly like minded people on this board.  I have not commented too much as of late but your kind offer has brought me out of posting hibernation.

Thank you for not only the offer, but also for persuading me to take some time to understand this more. 

Hit me up!   

16HkxXUQmf4KGavTfrU6ro8oxwmaRF82g3

Thanks again!
Last edited by RickV42 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Marc wrote:

How are you?

With my best regards!

Hope you succeed in building it to 1 btc. Only 21 million people in the world will be able to own 1 full btc. And that is if no one else owns more than 1.

Here you can see a cool globe in 3D with all people currently running the bitcoin client:
My early morning post disapeared !

MARC: Great Man, great blogger, great mind.

Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf »

I know nothing about Bitcoins but followed this thread and created a wallet:

13iQ3FuyrhrU3f8wmBSm9WymKerNkh1ka4

Then I happened to read this today

A Bitcoin Exchange Holding $4.1 Million For 1,000 Customers Has Simply Vanished
Last edited by Mdraf on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Oh, China. ::)

I don't use an online wallet for just that reason. It's less convenient, but safer.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
frommi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frommi »

Pointedstick wrote: You know what I just realized? Moda and Gumby have been talking about how the natural "risk-free" rate of interest on a floating fiat currency is zero percent; what's the "risk-free" interest payment you can get on Bitcoin--a floating fiat currency? Zero percent. :) All of these gains are coming from appreciation vs other currencies, not interest payments. If and when Bitcoin eventually stabilizes vs the dollar or euro or something, I think there's a very strong case to be made that nobody's Bitcoin reserves are going to be accumulating any interest payments without lending them out to borrowers and taking on some real risk. How could it be any other way? Bitcoin is an inherently deflationary currency; "risk-free" interest the way bank reserves work today requires inflation.
These gains come from the greater fool that is paying you more :). But someday there will be no greater fool available and then this whole thing breaks up. It looks clearly like euphoria, the last stage of a bubble.
@Marc when i were you, i would transfer most of the gains to the real world and buy real estate or stocks for it, and live from the cashflow of rents and dividends. Currently you look like a lottery winner who gives away his money.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

Rien wrote: Muchas Gracias Marc!
You are welcome Rien! :)
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

frugal wrote:
Marc wrote:

How are you?

With my best regards!

My early morning post disapeared !

MARC: Great Man, great blogger, great mind.

Thanks so much Frugal, you made my day  :D

Ps: What do you mean with the early morning post? :)
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf »

Pointedstick wrote: Oh, China. ::)

I don't use an online wallet for just that reason. It's less convenient, but safer.
Thanks.  Not knowing anything about it I thought an online wallet was required. After reading your post I found and downloaded one to my PC.
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

RickV42 wrote: Marc,

I'm always reading this site as there are many smart, mostly like minded people on this board.  I have not commented too much as of late but your kind offer has brought me out of posting hibernation.

Thank you for not only the offer, but also for persuading me to take some time to understand this more. 

Hit me up!   

16HkxXUQmf4KGavTfrU6ro8oxwmaRF82g3

Thanks again!
That's great to hear Rick :)

There you go! :D
Marc De Mesel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Marc De Mesel »

Mdraf wrote: I know nothing about Bitcoins but followed this thread and created a wallet:

13iQ3FuyrhrU3f8wmBSm9WymKerNkh1ka4

Then I happened to read this today

A Bitcoin Exchange Holding $4.1 Million For 1,000 Customers Has Simply Vanished
Yes, bitcoin land truly is the new Wild West.

Not only does it regularly happen that people their account gets hacked (hence 2 factor!), 1 in 5 service operators ends up disappearing with the coins as well (hence cold storage!), even the government likes to raid the largest exchanges from time to time (hence no trading but buy and hold!).

I advised the blockchain.info wallet because they are the most trusted and using that with 2 factor on your phone is safer than just installing the bitcoin client I think, since most people don't use their computer safely and it's easy to hack into. But indeed the best is cold storage like Armory, though much more complicated and not worth it if you only have small amounts.

Holding on to your coin is very hard.

Some get robbed, some lose them, many invest them, some gamble them, others consume them, and those that still have them often sell them way too soon (they got me on this one)  ;D

Hence, when the fingers are itching to move the coin, watch this song.

Coins send, good luck!  8)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

You're really selling this, Marc! ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf »

Thank you Marc.  I'm a Luddite about all this. I have a whole new subject to explore...from an initial web sweep it looks to me like the exchanges that allow one to buy bitcoins with money offer terrible exchange rates :(  Which ones do you favor? I'd like to drop a few bucks in there and see what happens.
I opened a blockchain.info wallet but after PS's post I downloaded MultiBit.