VP Mutual Fund Suggestions

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: VP Mutual Fund Suggestions

Post by MediumTex »

foglifter wrote: Is the 50/50 allocation just your rough guess or something calculated?
It's my rough guess, but I'll bet it's very close to what 100% TLT would give you.  If it's different, it's not by much.

In my view, EDV is a great way of taking an intermediate term bond fund (which is what most 401(k) plans offer) and using it to fill out the LT treasury part of the PP.

Obviously, this approach is less than ideal, but if you have significant assets in your 401(k) account and don't have access to a brokerage window, you have to do the best you can with what you've got.

On a somewhat related note, I thought it was comical earlier this year when everyone got all worked up about the government forcing everyone to invest their 401(k) accounts in long term government bonds.  For some reason, no one seemed to notice that virtually no 401(k) plan provides ANY type of treasury fund (short term or long term), and that for a balanced portfolio such an option would actually reduce risk.  It seems to me that the government could simply mandate that 401(k) plans offer a treasury fund OPTION if it wanted to use 401(k) plans as a way of selling more debt.  No confiscation needed.

The "taking over your 401(k) accounts" concern is sort of like the "government is going to take my gold" argument--there is simply no point in the government seizing an asset when it can just buy it by printing more fiat currency. 
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: VP Mutual Fund Suggestions

Post by foglifter »

MediumTex wrote:
foglifter wrote: Is the 50/50 allocation just your rough guess or something calculated?
It's my rough guess, but I'll bet it's very close to what 100% TLT would give you.  If it's different, it's not by much.

In my view, EDV is a great way of taking an intermediate term bond fund (which is what most 401(k) plans offer) and using it to fill out the LT treasury part of the PP.

Obviously, this approach is less than ideal, but if you have significant assets in your 401(k) account and don't have access to a brokerage window, you have to do the best you can with what you've got.
Thanks for your insight!

CraigR, do you think this recommendation could be reflected in your PP Bond Allocation FAQ? I'm pretty sure majority of people have less than ideal bond investment options in their 401(k) accounts and would be interested to hear about this approach. Specifically, the question "My retirement plan doesn’t offer any suitable long term bond index funds. What can I do?" lists 3 options, and the option #3 "Use the funds that you have to the best of your ability" is the place where you might add as an example MediumTex's suggestion about EDV.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud