Betting on the Bad Guys...

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Betting on the Bad Guys...

Post by craigr »

I saw this article in WSJ by Scott Adams of Dilbert a couple weeks back and thought it could be useful for the Variable Portfolio speculators:

Betting on the Bad Guys

When I heard that BP was destroying a big portion of Earth, with no serious discussion of cutting their dividend, I had two thoughts: 1) I hate them, and 2) This would be an excellent time to buy their stock. And so I did. Although I should have waited a week.

People ask me how it feels to take the side of moral bankruptcy. Answer: Pretty good! Thanks for asking. How's it feel to be a disgruntled victim?
I hate BP, but I admire them too, in the same way I respect the work ethic of serial killers. I remember the day I learned that BP was using a submarine…with a web cam…a mile under the sea…to feed live video of their disaster to the world. My mind screamed "STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME LOVE YOU! MUST…THINK…OF DEAD BIRDS TO MAINTAIN ANGER!" The geeky side of me has a bit of a crush on them, but I still hate them for turning Florida into a dip stick.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Betting on the Bad Guys...

Post by craigr »

BP stock is up 30-40% since this was posted. I bought this stock with variable portfolio money last year about this time.

Anyone else buy in? I was going to sell and lock in the LT gains in a couple months, but they are paying a dividend again. With the rising oil prices I may keep riding this horse a little longer. Anyone else thinking along the same lines?
Last edited by craigr on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I don't own BP, but I have noticed that my individual stock holdings pretty much constitute a Bizarro* list to the ethically oriented mutual funds I've read about. Tobacco, oil, alcohol, aerospace (with military contracts). My dividend stocks are evil incarnate.

*(If you don't know who Bizarro is, just substitute Lex Luthor).
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

craigr wrote: BP stock is up 30-40% since this was posted. I bought this stock with variable portfolio money last year about this time.

Anyone else buy in? I was going to sell and lock in the LT gains in a couple months, but they are paying a dividend again. With the rising oil prices I may keep riding this horse a little longer. Anyone else thinking along the same lines?
It sounds like BP has been peeking at the bankers' playbook--pocket the profits and socialize the losses.

In the words of the Black Adder, "it's a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Did anyone buy Transocean during the spill?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

no, but i doubled down on many of my uranium shares...don't know if they're evil incarnate, but i don't like shivering in the dark!