Predicting US Treasury Returns - a tactical bond approach

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Predicting US Treasury Returns - a tactical bond approach

Post by ochotona »

https://allocatesmartly.com/predicting- ... y-returns/

This seems to solve the "what if long bond interest rates keep going up from here?"

It trades once a month between IEF and T-Bills. Sometimes it's very cashy, sometimes it's very bondy.

It's down like -2% from Aug 2020... B&H IEF is -16%

Similar CAGR, you don't give up everything, except you have to trade it monthly. It doesn't look like the trades are big. This month, 4% change. Little steps.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Predicting US Treasury Returns - a tactical bond approach

Post by vnatale »

ochotona wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:07 am
https://allocatesmartly.com/predicting- ... y-returns/

This seems to solve the "what if long bond interest rates keep going up from here?"

It trades once a month between IEF and T-Bills. Sometimes it's very cashy, sometimes it's very bondy.

Similar CAGR, you don't give up everything, except you have to trade it monthly. It doesn't look like the trades are big. This month, 4% change. Little steps.

B&H = Buy and Hold?

IEF = ?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:43 pm
ochotona wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:07 am https://allocatesmartly.com/predicting- ... y-returns/

B&H = Buy and Hold?

IEF = ?
IEF = The iShares 7-10 Year Treasury Bond ETF (the ticker symbol of it is IEF). Basically a fairly close--albeit with somewhat less maturity and duration--proxy for the 10-year Treasury Bond for those who would rather buy an ETF than directly own Treasuries.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Yes, B&H you got right. IEF is the 7-10 year US Treasury ETF. Some HBPP users like to use IEF instead of Cash + TLT... the one ETF "bullet". The point I'm making in this post is this Predicting US Treasury Returns is a bullet that doesn't misbehave in a rising interest rate environment.

I did some modeling, if you use 40% of this for fixed income, and 40% to a tactical equity scheme like Antonacci GEM, and 20% to fixed physical gold, you get a high return, low volatility portfolio that doesn't trade that often.

CAGR 10%, worst drawdown 10%. A full 1% more return than Golden Butterfly.