in depth review of golden butterfly

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

in depth review of golden butterfly

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: in depth review of golden butterfly

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:54 pm

Some responses / questions.

1) Who IS Quantified Strategies? I went around the web site and did not find any names. I did see this: "We have written over 1200 articles on this blog since we started in 2012." I have learned that there is a "royal" we, meaning that "we" can be entirely composed of just one person. Curious why this web site does not reveal who composes Quantified Strategies, telling us all about them to give them more credibility based upon whatever success they can tell us that they have had in the past.

2) It starts with: "The Golden Butterfly Portfolio by Tyler portfolio" and then later on has: "The Golden Butterfly Portfolio is a relatively new investment strategy, having only gained popularity in the past decade. It was developed as a response to the financial crisis of 2008, as investors were seeking a more diversified and balanced portfolio that could weather economic uncertainty."

I know that The Golden Butterfly Portfolio is a Tyler invention. However, I thought it was a fairly recent invention sometime in the last three years? Or, was it created closer to 2008 and I read about it a few years ago during my extensive exploration in the forum archives?

3) Overall looks like a solid, thorough assessment of it. Thanks for putting it here.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:07 pm

The article seems cluncky and uninspired to me.

I wonder if it was written by AI?
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:26 pm

snedgar wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:07 pm
The article seems cluncky and uninspired to me.

I wonder if it was written by AI?
I wonder if it was written by AI? lol - I had exactly the same thought!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 pm

Did not appear that way to me.

Also, if you go here: https://www.quantifiedstrategies.com/# ......

..... you will see other similar analyses which presumably were written before AI became available?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:00 am

This is just “SEO Content” designed to perform well with search engines. There’s no real analysis. The goal is to attract people searching for various investment strategies and convert them to a paid membership.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:27 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:00 am

This is just “SEO Content” designed to perform well with search engines. There’s no real analysis. The goal is to attract people searching for various investment strategies and convert them to a paid membership.

I did definitely notice that there was a strong push to get someone to choose the paid option.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:31 am

Yeah, that looks like a good example of classic SEO farming where the main goal is keyword density -- even moreso than accuracy.
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:54 pm
2) It starts with: "The Golden Butterfly Portfolio by Tyler portfolio" and then later on has: "The Golden Butterfly Portfolio is a relatively new investment strategy, having only gained popularity in the past decade. It was developed as a response to the financial crisis of 2008, as investors were seeking a more diversified and balanced portfolio that could weather economic uncertainty."

I know that The Golden Butterfly Portfolio is a Tyler invention. However, I thought it was a fairly recent invention sometime in the last three years? Or, was it created closer to 2008 and I read about it a few years ago during my extensive exploration in the forum archives?
Among other inconsistencies (it is/isn't diversified, it does/doesn't include commodities), the history quoted in the linked article is false. My first article about the Golden Butterfly was published in 2015, and you'll find no mention at all of the 2008 financial crisis. In fact, the discussions on this forum are probably the best record you'll find of my thought process.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:33 am

Tyler wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:31 am
Yeah, that looks like a good example of classic SEO farming where the main goal is keyword density -- even moreso than accuracy.
vnatale wrote:

Among other inconsistencies (it is/isn't diversified, it does/doesn't include commodities), the history quoted in the linked article is false. My first article about the Golden Butterfly was published in 2015, and you'll find no mention at all of the 2008 financial crisis. In fact, the discussions on this forum are probably the best record you'll find of my thought process.
There were some discussions along the lines of the GB back in 2009, such as
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 85#p491985
but as you say the formal "Golden Butterfly" came years later. Recall the mentioning in a 2009 or 2010 post of a Variable Portfolio comprised of SCV alongside a PP, but some of the older posts have been deleted and I've not managed to search/find that.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 am

Tyler wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:31 am
vnatale wrote:

i guess you have never seen this site before ?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:09 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 am
It's new to me, and your link is the first time I've seen it. Thanks for sharing!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Tyler wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:09 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 am
It's new to me, and your link is the first time I've seen it. Thanks for sharing!
and thank you for having such a cool site
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 pm

the article is definitely flukey ..

first it’s a misconception that it’s diversified but then they go on to it is a well diversified portfolio .

i like the 10% gold 10% dbc part too , where did they come up with that ? the funny thing though is i use gld/iau and some dbc but i got that from paul tudor jones who at one time liked to split the gold budget with bitcoin , gold , commodities and cash for inflation protection
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:53 pm

Tyler, I have a question I've been meaning to ask. Is there an argument to be made for global equities in the GB? 40% VT? I know it wouldn't back-test very well, because International equities have been taken out behind the shed and butchered for a long time, but you... "Buy low sell high".

Also, I recommend portfoliocharts to every single person I meet online in financial spaces.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:00 pm

Thanks for spreading the word!

I'm no Harry Browne, but I imagine he might say that the portfolio is designed to capture the flow of money out of equities rather than capture the flow of equities money out of the country. That said, I don't have a problem with anyone who feels strongly about global diversification.

And there's definitely an argument to be made for global equities if one lives in a country with a small economy. If a global fund is heavily US-weighted anyway, US investors can't go wrong either way. But the decision for someone living in a country with a tiny slice of the global pie gets a little more interesting.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:37 am

if japanese investors invested in american markets all these years instead of their own they wouldn’t be the poster children for what happens when you have a long time bear market
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm

Better Buy and Hold will design a portfolio very very close to the GB if you select the GB assets and the criterion "build a portfolio that has never lost more than 10% in 36 months". And it does better if you add in EM, but not if you add in EM and EAFE!

If you round it off, you get something like this:

20% Gold, Cash, US Large Cap
15% LT Treasuries
12.5% Small Cap and EM

https://betterbuyandhold.com/what-we-do/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:42 pm

ochotona wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm

Better Buy and Hold will design a portfolio very very close to the GB if you select the GB assets and the criterion "build a portfolio that has never lost more than 10% in 36 months". And it does better if you add in EM, but not if you add in EM and EAFE!

If you round it off, you get something like this:

20% Gold, Cash, US Large Cap
15% LT Treasuries
12.5% Small Cap and EM

https://betterbuyandhold.com/what-we-do/

It seems intriguing. However, when you go here: https://betterbuyandhold.com/our-origin-story/

And, the first and third URLs on the bottom of page go to nowhere ... does that make you question at all the organization's competence?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:06 pm

It seems intriguing. However, when you go here: https://betterbuyandhold.com/our-origin-story/

And, the first and third URLs on the bottom of page go to nowhere ... does that make you question at all the organization's competence?
No, not really. The publisher of the 3rd URL links moved the document. I can email BBH. BBH also does AllocateSmartly, probably 99% of their focus goes to AS, and they do a great job over there.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:14 pm

For your entertainment, I present - The GMO Butterfly

1/5 to each of these ETFs

Foreign Small Cap SCHC
EM Value AVES
Long Term Treasuries SCHQ
Gold SGOL, or hold physical
Cash SGOV, or hold I-Bonds, T-Bills, bank deposits

I've started to DCA into this. For those of you who don't know GMO, here is a link, not to them, but to someone commenting on them. GMO hides their stuff behind a subscription wall, and I can't sign up for it with Gmail.

We'll know in seven years if their seven year forecast was any good!
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:53 am

Damn...all in on foreign equities. Hope it works out!

(ps, any reason you went small cap foreign instead of foreign SCV?)
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:15 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:53 am
Damn...all in on foreign equities. Hope it works out!

(ps, any reason you went small cap foreign instead of foreign SCV?)
This portfolio is just a really little part of my holdings at present. I'm going to watch it for 2-3 years then decide if I should grow it. EM Value and Small Cap Ex-US are the top two equity class picks from GMO.