No stocks or conventional bonds?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

No stocks or conventional bonds?

Post by Kevin K. » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm

Interesting article from a newsletter for financial advisors I follow:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/art ... 5200981851

The author's recommendations are an iteration of Ray Dalio's All Seasons, albeit with some interesting differences. Big bet on global REITS, short-term TIPS only for the dry powder, equal weights of gold and commodities. I'd think the choice of REITS would be of decisive importance....REIT index funds often tank in unison with the stock market (and often with deeper drawdowns).

Personally I find Tyler's Pinwheel Portfolio more appealing. Thoughts?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No stocks or conventional bonds?

Post by joypog » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:27 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm
Interesting article from a newsletter for financial advisors I follow:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/art ... 5200981851

The author's recommendations are an iteration of Ray Dalio's All Seasons, albeit with some interesting differences. Big bet on global REITS, short-term TIPS only for the dry powder, equal weights of gold and commodities. I'd think the choice of REITS would be of decisive importance....REIT index funds often tank in unison with the stock market (and often with deeper drawdowns).

Personally I find Tyler's Pinwheel Portfolio more appealing. Thoughts?
Its cute, but I feel the REITS are basically a stock sector. I mean, of all stock sectors, I feel thiere is a good "real" reason for overweighting it...but basically it feels like he's taken his 50% stock allocation and converted it to REITs so he can say he doesn't have stocks while effectively stocks. At that point, I'd just MCW it.

Agreed about Tyler's pinwheel if one is headed that direction.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)