6 slices - US Total Stock, US Small Cap, Intl Total Stock, LTT, Cash, Gold

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

6 slices - US Total Stock, US Small Cap, Intl Total Stock, LTT, Cash, Gold

Post by joypog » Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm

As I've been researching the heck out of all these portfolios I've been settling into the Golden Butterfly (to be slowly averaged into over the course of this year).

The one thing scratching at the back of my head is the lack of International exposure...which lead to this overlapping mess of equally weighted lazy portfolios once I add Bill Bernstein's "No Brainer Portfolio (4xUS,Intl, Small cap,Cash):

Gold + LTT + US Stock + Cash + Small Cap Value + International Stock
  • Gold + LTT + US Stock + Cash
  • Gold + LTT + US Stock + Cash + Small Cap Value
  • xxxxxxxxxxx US Stock + Cash + Small Cap Value + International Stock
Here are the links on Portfolio Charts and Portfolio Visualizer. (TBH the results from this loks almost exactly like the the GB).

It does a few things things for us:
1) It pushes the stock allocation up to 50% which really should be higher given our mid-40's age, but we are both tempermentally conservative.
2) It adds explicit international exposure, which I think is a good diversification play even if the back testing doesn't really play out
3) It pushes the "niche" investments of LTT's and Gold down to 15% of the overall portfolio.

As noted above, our gameplan is to build up the Golden Butterfly at first, then any extra money will start buying the intl stocks. The timing works well because we'd be adding the more volatile investments after I've vested into my State pension so we'll have more "in the bank" at that time.

But, truth be told, I'm just an architect so I'm most likely winging it on the symmetry of the numbers and a lifetime of living in a base-12 profession.

In any case, I be curious what y'all think of this "trivial pursuit" pie. Cheers!
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 6 slices - US Total Stock, US Small Cap, Intl Total Stock, LTT, Cash, Gold

Post by Dieter » Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 pm

Ha, I just sold the Intl in the GB-ish part of my portfolio, although my overall retirement portfolio is similar to your in that it’s ~50% stocks, 15% Gold, with some international in the non GB parts

Ergo, likely a great time to be in Intl! 🙂

Just didn’t seem to add anything to the GB-ish portuon