Bitcoin and Taxes

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bitcoin and Taxes

Post by dualstow »

Totally forgot to report a 2021 purchase I made with bitcoin given to me by Marc on this site once upon a time. Oops. I don't do my own taxes, but I happened to see it on the extra copy of my completed tax return. "Virtual currency." Oops. I'll need to fix that.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin and Taxes

Post by Don »

dualstow wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:51 pm Totally forgot to report a 2021 purchase I made with bitcoin given to me by Marc on this site once upon a time. Oops. I don't do my own taxes, but I happened to see it on the extra copy of my completed tax return. "Virtual currency." Oops. I'll need to fix that.
I wish that I had your problem, dualstow.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I know what you mean, Don. Sorry it couldn't be unlocked.
Well, I just received an amended return by email. I guess he wants to take care of it now. O0
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I got into Bitcoin at $10,500 and Ethereum at $250.

BTC quadrupled on me, so I donated an amount equal to my initial spend to a Fidelity Donor Advised Fund, thereby recovering my original value in a tax-free manner (I get to control where the DAF sends charity donations). So my downside is $0 even if BTC goes to $0. I only have upside. It's like a call option with zero strike that never expires.

I gave away some Ethereum as gifts to my kids. My kids sold the Ethereum near $4000, I bailed at $2500.

I'm still long BTC, but I wonder about the digital gold narrative. I'm liking Jurien Timmer's technology adoption s-curve models. I think if it gets up to $47,000 by the end of 2023 I'm out, because I have to pay attention to IRMAA limits as I get close to Medicare age. Too much of a capital gain and I'll get hit with Medicare premium surcharges.

I feel really sorry for people who got in near the top. That's the FOMO hitting. It makes you crazy.