risk ON risk OFF

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

risk ON risk OFF

Post by modeljc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am

Just ran across some new work from StrategyDriven. Love the idea of risk ON and risk OFF.

https://dualmomentumsystems.com/?post=p ... o-vs-triad
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: risk ON risk OFF

Post by modeljc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm

vincent_c wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am
Interesting site he has, do you know if it is just a hobby?

I do have difficulty with the rationale behind some of the strategies but if this is just for fun/personal investment then it's pretty cool.
The site says he has about 75% invested in the strategies so I don't think it is just for fun. Also a hobby can turn into real money. I got two test positions on for myself.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 pm

I don't know that I would call it a hobby, that could be taken as a demeaning term meaning it's not taken with the utmost serious intentions that it is. I am not an RIA, CFA, etc... I developed these strategies for my own use and opened them up for public consumption, it is a labor of passion. The results and risk profiles speak for themselves, there is an array from conservative to very aggressive, if you look at the Metrics pages I think you'll find very good risk reward for the strategies.

The total invested amount isn't clear, but I know there are well into 8 figures invested into these strategies by myself and others. Real money.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:24 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 pm
I don't know that I would call it a hobby, that could be taken as a demeaning term meaning it's not taken with the utmost serious intentions that it is. I am not an RIA, CFA, etc... I developed these strategies for my own use and opened them up for public consumption, it is a labor of passion. The results and risk profiles speak for themselves, there is an array from conservative to very aggressive, if you look at the Metrics pages I think you'll find very good risk reward for the strategies.

The total invested amount isn't clear, but I know there are well into 8 figures invested into these strategies by myself and others. Real money.
Do you have a subscription to the PRO in the Portfolio Visualizer? If so, I would be interested in tax assumptions and considerations for the Triad vs Permanent Portfolio. I think you said the Triad was best in a nontaxable account but was somewhat friendly in a taxable one. If that requires a lot of work please don't spend the time. Interested if it is an easy answer. Thanks
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:15 pm

vincent_c wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 pm
Apologies I wasn't referring to your personal investments in those strategies as being a hobby but rather whether the website was a hobby or if it was for some kind of commercial purpose.
I do not charge for the strategy information, it's freely available to anybody who subscribes, I do put limits that it is for personal use, not for gain investing other peoples accounts by an RIA or other such situation.

The website, yes that I would call a hobby, I'm no web developer but do what I can with the site.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:16 pm

modeljc wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:24 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Do you have a subscription to the PRO in the Portfolio Visualizer? If so, I would be interested in tax assumptions and considerations for the Triad vs Permanent Portfolio. I think you said the Triad was best in a nontaxable account but was somewhat friendly in a taxable one. If that requires a lot of work please don't spend the time. Interested if it is an easy answer. Thanks
Unfortunately I do not have a Pro PV subscription, unsure if they would be able to calculate the tax impact or not, it's complicated. Maybe if you upload the monthly holdings they can do it from that, not sure.