Do you think we are due for a drop in the market?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

How far of a pull back in the market are you expecting in the next 6 months?

Keep on ripping with those federal funds baby, no drop!
25%
> 20% drop
31%
< 20% > 15% drop
6%
< 15% > 10% drop
25%
< 10% drop
13%

Total votes: 16
StrategyDriven

Do you think we are due for a drop in the market?

Post by StrategyDriven » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Curious about what people are expecting regarding a coming pull back in the market.
StrategyDriven

Re: Do you think we are due for a drop in the market?

Post by StrategyDriven » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm

BOOM, down 5% just like that, curious to see where this goes, my models are all close to going out of equities.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm
BOOM, down 5% just like that, curious to see where this goes, my models are all close to going out of equities.
Out of equities completely? What would your portfolio then look like? Just curious.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:53 pm

As long as printer go Brrr, Stonks go up :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.52.39 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.52.39 am.png (202.71 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm

barrett wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Out of equities completely? What would your portfolio then look like? Just curious.
And when do you go back into equities? If ever.

I have a friend that foresaw the Covid crash in March 2020 by correctly speculating that it had to spread out of China. So he dodges the correction by "going to cash". He's still sitting in cash having missed the epic run-up and now feels equities are too expensive so can't justify buying in.
The double edge of market timing.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm
barrett wrote:
StrategyDriven wrote:

I have a friend that foresaw the Covid crash in March 2020 by correctly speculating that it had to spread out of China. So he dodges the correction by "going to cash". He's still sitting in cash having missed the epic run-up and now feels equities are too expensive so can't justify buying in.
I did the same thing. Went all cash March 2020. But I also made a plan to get back in. I bought back in at 10% per month for 10 months. It worked out OK.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:49 am

barrett wrote:
StrategyDriven wrote:
Dual Momentum Systems

Check the Menu button top right, and look at the REPORTING page for a current report with historical returns and data.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm
barrett wrote:
StrategyDriven wrote:

Specific to COVID dump, my strategies were out at the end of February and back in the 1st day of June. Here is the 2020 year end report, you can see which investments all the strategies were in on page 4.

What your friend did, I don't consider strategic timing, but rather running scared.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:47 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

What your friend did, I don't consider strategic timing, but rather running scared.
You might be right. I happen to think this particular friend has a pessimistic bias that influences most of his investing decisions. Some people will go to great lengths to avoid one dollar in loss, even if the price is five dollars in upside.

I thought something bad might happen with Coronavirus. But my investing horizon is long term in nature, a decade or more, and my positions reflect it. So I consciously decided to just face whatever came and ride it down, and ride it right back up.
I just don't have any confidence in my ability to time a market re-entry and the recovery can happen quickly and unevenly. I never would have predicted the sheer scale of the Fed's actions and what those actions did to the markets. The aforementioned friend for example thought it would take years for the markets to recover.

Do your positions have built-up gain reflecting long holding periods? If yes, then there's a tax implication inherent in the bullet dodging game. In the long game, tax deferral is precious.

If you run the numbers, assuming a reasonable investing horizon, there are more things that can go wrong than go right with market timing IMO.
That said, I would definitely be wealthier today if I had timed out and timed back in on the perfect dates to do so.
Bottom line, I'm not telling you what to do, just expressing my personal bias and rationale against market timing.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:47 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

You might be right. I happen to think this particular friend has a pessimistic bias that influences most of his investing decisions. Some people will go to great lengths to avoid one dollar in loss, even if the price is five dollars in upside.

I thought something bad might happen with Coronavirus. But my investing horizon is long term in nature, a decade or more, and my positions reflect it. So I consciously decided to just face whatever came and ride it down, and ride it right back up.
I just don't have any confidence in my ability to time a market re-entry and the recovery can happen quickly and unevenly. I never would have predicted the sheer scale of the Fed's actions and what those actions did to the markets. The aforementioned friend for example thought it would take years for the markets to recover.

Do your positions have built-up gain reflecting long holding periods? If yes, then there's a tax implication inherent in the bullet dodging game. In the long game, tax deferral is precious.

If you run the numbers, assuming a reasonable investing horizon, there are more things that can go wrong than go right with market timing IMO.
That said, I would definitely be wealthier today if I had timed out and timed back in on the perfect dates to do so.
Bottom line, I'm not telling you what to do, just expressing my personal bias and rationale against market timing.
I'll take the tax hit on some short term gains to avoid drawdowns like 2007 - 2009. Here is a chart of the S&P and my The Russell strategy over that time period, the S&P had over a 51% drawdown and ended up down 20% over these two years, whereas The Russell less drawdown and ended up nearly 70%.

I understand when a person says they have a long term time frame, personally, I can't eat shit in the form of a 50% drawdown over two years and just pray it comes back to me later. Just can't do it.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm

I have a less alarmed view of a 50% stock drop because I’m only one third stocks. If I can’t take a 15-20% overall loss I shouldn’t be investing.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm
I have a less alarmed view of a 50% stock drop because I’m only one third stocks. If I can’t take a 15-20% overall loss I shouldn’t be investing.
Where are you allocated with the other 2/3rd?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:05 pm

StrategyDriven wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Gold, cash, long bonds
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:19 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:05 pm
StrategyDriven wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Gold, cash, long bonds

👍🏻
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 pm

We're overdue for a drop in real terms if not in nominal.

This stock bull market has it at the same relative price to gold as in late 2005, but the economy looks much worse as well as the inflation.

I'm talking about the S&P and my guess is gold beats it handily in the next 10 years but we'll see. This is a bull market for the history books.
StrategyDriven

Post by StrategyDriven » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:34 pm

As September comes to a close, it looks like the S&P is down almost 5.25% from recent highs. Not the 10% or more I have been expecting, but also one of the biggest pullbacks this year.