What is the most anyone has paid for a bitcoin?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

What is the most anyone has paid for a bitcoin?

Post by SomeDude »

Or a fraction of one? I'm sure many people here have some. What is the highest price you've paid? Anyone buy since this breakout to new highs?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What is the most anyone has paid for a bitcoin?

Post by whatchamacallit »

$0

I am hearing more and more non Computer geek crowd getting into it now.Saying it is going over $100k.

Robinhood really opened it up more.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

whatchamacallit wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:54 pm $0

I am hearing more and more non Computer geek crowd getting into it now.Saying it is going over $100k.

Robinhood really opened it up more.
$0 here too. I'm just curious if any individuals are actually buying up here. Surely we have some bitcoiners here. I'm not asking how much you have in it or your average price, just the highest level you've bought any at. Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's at all time highs so you're in profit.

The most I've paid for a gold eagle was about $1,970.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

My cost basis for 2 Bitcoin is $10,800 per coin. This was a small fraction of my portfolio. Don't spend more than about 1%-2% of your portfolio messing with this thing, and date it, don't marry it. Mind your capital gains, report them, don't get hit by the IRS.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

ochotona wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:15 am My cost basis for 2 Bitcoin is $10,800 per coin. This was a small fraction of my portfolio. Don't spend more than about 1%-2% of your portfolio messing with this thing, and date it, don't marry it. Mind your capital gains, report them, don't get hit by the IRS.
Awesome. Do you have a sell price in mind O? What's your exit strategy at the moment?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

bitsignal.png
bitsignal.png (166.79 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Calling bitcoininthevp!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

😂 gets me every time 😂
🍍
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just checked my wallet and my modicum of Bitcoin has basically doubled in value since I bought it. :o
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Most paid - zero. Least paid - zero. Average - zero. Happy New Year's Eve to all! 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 am
Most paid - zero. Least paid - zero. Average - zero. Happy New Year's Eve to all! 8)

Of course I MUST know what are your mean, median, and mode for all your purchase prices! Well, you did give us the average so you only need to report the two others!

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:41 am
ochotona wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:15 am My cost basis for 2 Bitcoin is $10,800 per coin. This was a small fraction of my portfolio. Don't spend more than about 1%-2% of your portfolio messing with this thing, and date it, don't marry it. Mind your capital gains, report them, don't get hit by the IRS.
Awesome. Do you have a sell price in mind O? What's your exit strategy at the moment?
When it's a long-term hold, take out my initial investment. Then HODL. Sell some to buy a new house and if the % of the portfolio is excessive. My average buy cost for gold was $1235 I just computed. I'll let it run also, hoping for a 3x, then rebalance back to my original allocation.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

I’ve treated my Bitcoin purchases like gambling. More for entertainment value. Unfortunately I am not much of a gambler at all so we’re only talking about a few hundred bucks at a time.

I got interested in Bitcoin around 2011.

In 2013 I finally bought a Bitcoin under $100, tripled my money and sold it. Thought that was pretty darn good at the time and I was happy. Now, not so much.

In 2016 I bought 2 Bitcoins for about $125 each. Got a 6x return and sold them to buy parts for an electric bike I was building. Thought I was really smart at the time, laughed all the way to the bank (so to speak). Now, not so much. I love my ebike, but damn.

In March 2020 I threw in $200 when Bitcoin was down around $5,000. So that trade is looking good right now. Not sure whether to sell it and buy something stupid only to regret it later or hang on and watch it become worthless (because that is surely what will happen if I do that).

So while I have not struck it rich, I can say that I have been entertained. But oh, what might have been!
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa »

Funny that some of you here are proud you never bought bitcoin. Isn't the idea of investing to grow your capital? I bought most of my bitcoin in 2014 and never sold. Happy to be not in the $0 club.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I’m in the enough is enough crowd. Good luck to the I need more crowd.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

senecaaa wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:24 pm Funny that some of you here are proud you never bought bitcoin. Isn't the idea of investing to grow your capital?
What does this have to do with investing? I thought we were talking about bitcoin? O0
Even so, that's pretty cool that your bitcoin has grown in value.
🍍
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

senecaaa wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:24 pm Funny that some of you here are proud you never bought bitcoin. Isn't the idea of investing to grow your capital? I bought most of my bitcoin in 2014 and never sold. Happy to be not in the $0 club.
I wish I had been more persistent in 2014. I thought about buying some as an experiment ~2014, but didn't do anything. wow
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

A sincere congratulations to anyone that has made money on bitcoin.

It could be a random bet, or a successful reading of the zeitgeist, or just solid economics.

Best wishes ahead to all.

Mark
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Easy to make money with Bitcoin. Hard to keep.