Portfolios - When Harry met Benjamin

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Portfolios - When Harry met Benjamin

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm

I have been giving thought to structuring a HB equivalent portfolio that

1. Could be used by both US and non-US investors and
2. Could be implemented, with the exception of gold, in standard retirement accounts.

Benjamin Graham recommended a model portfolio of 50% Shares/50% Bonds (or cash equivalents depending on the prevailing interest rates)

HB model is the 4x25%, but very few (any?) retirement accounts have 20 year plus Bond equivalents

So.... if you took a Benjamin allocation of 50/50 (MSCI World) shares/cash and added gold to optimise the ulcer index you get the results attached. Plus for small economies you get almost 2/3 non local assets.

Rip into it - what are the downsides (or benefits) of this model portfolio !
Attachments
28% Gold 36% each Cash Shares.png
28% Gold 36% each Cash Shares.png (172.65 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
Rip into it !.png
Rip into it !.png (83.07 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Portfolios - When Harry met Benjamin

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Very interesting work. And here I thought I was the only one still interested in talking about portfolios and investing instead of politics. I think the interest in politics may be a reflection of the split between U.S. and international forum members.

I see the filename alludes to 28% gold and 36% for cash and shares each. I think if we were to turn this into a model portfolio it should be 30% for gold and 35% each for cash and shares so that the numbers are easily digestible. I'd also be interested in how this portfolio would perform in 1930s scale depression with a prolonged deflation. Given that there is little in the way of long term fixed income, that may be an issue?

I would also like to see how much further one could push this optimization with the use of factors.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
GH47

Post by GH47 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm

As far as I can make out, there always seems to be a sweet spot that includes an element of home bias. Too much international, at least for a UK investor, results in deeper/longer draw-downs.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm
Very interesting work. And here I thought I was the only one still interested in talking about portfolios and investing instead of politics. I think the interest in politics may be a reflection of the split between U.S. and international forum members.

I see the filename alludes to 28% gold and 36% for cash and shares each. I think if we were to turn this into a model portfolio it should be 30% for gold and 35% each for cash and shares so that the numbers are easily digestible. I'd also be interested in how this portfolio would perform in 1930s scale depression with a prolonged deflation. Given that there is little in the way of long term fixed income, that may be an issue?

I would also like to see how much further one could push this optimization with the use of factors.
Good point - 30/35/35 is more "readable" and the Ulcer Index is the same.

With regards to 1930's depression, have a read of the attached five part post. If I am interpreting it correctly, cash provides better protection than bonds during the worst historical scenarios.

https://www.idiosyncraticwhisk.com/2014 ... short.html

Enjoy the good weather in Canada - its winter down here ;)
WhiteElephant
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by WhiteElephant » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Like the idea. 30% gold might be a bit too much for most people, 25% seems to be a kind of upper limit.
How about 40/40 with 20% gold, like the golden butterfly. Msci world, bonds in your own currency, plus some gold should make a pretty solid portfolio. Easy to implement in most countries.

And yeah, I guess there are still some non-US investors on this board interested in talking about investing :)
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:42 pm

WhiteElephant wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:28 pm

And yeah, I guess there are still some non-US investors on this board interested in talking about investing :)
Hey, this U.S. investor is still interested in talking about investing, haha. I'm very much burned out on all the politic talk these days...
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm

GH47 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm
As far as I can make out, there always seems to be a sweet spot that includes an element of home bias. Too much international, at least for a UK investor, results in deeper/longer draw-downs.
That makes sense. Australia's economy is tiny compared to the UK's.
Have a look on the MSCI website for the World ex UK - here is the link for World ex Australia. Note UK is listed as a country weighting of 4.59%, Australia must be in other :)

https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/49 ... 93b1f3d60b

May be best just to use a MSCI World Fund? Can't model it directly on Portfolio Charts though, would have to approximate using UK and International (Ex UK?) as you mentioned.
Thanks for the input.

And for Smith et al, have a look at the attachment
Attachments
Factors ! .png
Factors ! .png (77.54 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Benjamin Graham recommended a model portfolio of 50% Shares/50% Bonds (or cash equivalents depending on the prevailing interest rates)
IIRC, what Graham said to do was hold 50/50 when you didn't really have a reason to weight one side over the other. But when you thought stocks were poised to do good, you could tilt as much as 75/25, and the same the other way.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm
Hal wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm
IIRC, what Graham said to do was hold 50/50 when you didn't really have a reason to weight one side over the other. But when you thought stocks were poised to do good, you could tilt as much as 75/25, and the same the other way.
Good Memory!
Here's a screenshot for history's sake.
Attachments
BG Lecture.png
BG Lecture.png (242.51 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm
I was going to point out a few days ago that if you looked at Active Topics that you'd clearly see that politics have been dominating the discussions.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm
May be best just to use a MSCI World Fund? Can't model it directly on Portfolio Charts though...
I actually added that option early this year. In the portfolio interface, look for the dropdown below "WLD". The default is XUS, but it also has a DEV option. That will switch everything in the row to Developed World funds (including the US). In that setting, TSM will be equivalent to MSCI World.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:42 pm
WhiteElephant wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Hey, this U.S. investor is still interested in talking about investing, haha. I'm very much burned out on all the politic talk these days...
i got investing on the brain at the beginning of the corona virus, as thing were changing, then i hit my re-balance and now i have nothing to talk about or look at -- an un fortunate side effect of the permanent portfolio..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 pm
Hal wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm
May be best just to use a MSCI World Fund? Can't model it directly on Portfolio Charts though...
I actually added that option early this year. In the portfolio interface, look for the dropdown below "WLD". The default is XUS, but it also has a DEV option. That will switch everything in the row to Developed World funds (including the US). In that setting, TSM will be equivalent to MSCI World.
Thanks Tyler,
And here I was thinking if Australia was selected, WLD-Dev = MSCI World Ex Australia *Slaps Self*
Hal, read the asterisk that says "All Developed" :o

Once again, appreciate your making such a great portfolio tool.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 pm

And in a Japanese Deflationary environment.....
Attachments
Deflationary Environment.png
Deflationary Environment.png (179.18 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:37 am

Hal wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 pm
And in a Japanese Deflationary environment.....
Dead last in average return, close to last in longest drawdown, and in the bottom half of safe and perpetual withdrawal rate. Considering this is the market environment the globe is in right now, that does not look promising.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm

The stale performance of the Japan environment is all the more reason why I think diversifying amongst international factors is beneficial. Historically, when market beta has had negative premiums, it has typically resulted in positive premiums for size, value, momentum, etc. I rather lament that here in Canada we don't have easy access to alternative premia like reinsurance risk.

Having said that, I think that no matter the portfolio you choose, there can be a state of the world where that portfolio performs poorly for an extended period of time. You can have portfolios that are more well built (like the PP), but nothing is truly immune to disappointing periods of returns.

Vinny, yeah I agree with your observation about politics taking over the Other Discussions part of the forum. Obviously I don't want to shut down what other people want to talk about. It's not my first choice for topic of discussion though.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:23 pm

You are correct, with the limited choices from a typical retirement fund, the returns in a "Japanese environment" look poor.
Replacing the 35% Cash with bonds helps a little....

Update: Quote on when to use cash instead of bonds
ps: Far right chart column is total fees
Attachments
When to use cash.png
When to use cash.png (40.09 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Limited Choices.png
Limited Choices.png (50.11 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Replacing 35% Cash witn Intermediate Bonds.png
Replacing 35% Cash witn Intermediate Bonds.png (93.76 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 pm

And when applied to the US market, the results look decidedly "Golden Butterflyish"

Portfolio 1 is Benjamin Graham plus gold. Note: Intermediate Treasuries used - Read Intelligent Investor re US Market
Portfolio 2 is the PP
Attachments
22% Gold Half each US TSM & Int Trsy.png
22% Gold Half each US TSM & Int Trsy.png (112.51 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:02 pm

And on reading a Vanguard Paper for Australia....

50/50 Split Aus/International Shares for 38% Total,
38% Cash
24% Gold
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.36.32 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.36.32 pm.png (564.81 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Gold 24% Cash 38% Bal Shares .png
Gold 24% Cash 38% Bal Shares .png (175.63 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Vanguard Paper.png
Vanguard Paper.png (68.42 KiB) Viewed 4945 times