Vintage Wine??

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vintage Wine??

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:51 am

I have come across a couple people lately that think buying/selling vintage wine, despite being not a liquid investment (no-pun), is the future in a world where traditional investments appear less optimistic. At first I just dismissed the idea as obnoxious/pretentious, but after pondering it a bit... maybe it isn't quite so crazy. I don't like wine, but it certainly seems like most of the world is a bit obsessed with it. Offsite storage/insurance appears cheap. On the other side, you would have collectibles tax rates and probably have to worry about fraud (assuming anybody can actually tell an expensive bottle from a cheap bottle anyways since, AFIK, everybody's taste buds are different).

It seems to have been gaining steam over the past several years. One couple I know is betting the whole enchilada on it.

It is hard to get accurate info on average returns, but it seems like it is realistically an 8-9% return. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vintage Wine??

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:57 pm

I know Kevin O'Leary (yes the shark tank dude) is huge on wine investing.

Maybe search for some of his stuff. Given his visibility I'm sure there's got to be material on his portfolio. And given his personality, I'm sure he's been bragging about it.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vintage Wine??

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:14 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:51 am
I have come across a couple people lately that think buying/selling vintage wine, despite being not a liquid investment (no-pun), is the future in a world where traditional investments appear less optimistic. At first I just dismissed the idea as obnoxious/pretentious, but after pondering it a bit... maybe it isn't quite so crazy. I don't like wine, but it certainly seems like most of the world is a bit obsessed with it. Offsite storage/insurance appears cheap. On the other side, you would have collectibles tax rates and probably have to worry about fraud (assuming anybody can actually tell an expensive bottle from a cheap bottle anyways since, AFIK, everybody's taste buds are different).

It seems to have been gaining steam over the past several years. One couple I know is betting the whole enchilada on it.

It is hard to get accurate info on average returns, but it seems like it is realistically an 8-9% return. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?
What are the associated costs for buying and selling? And, I assume the state by state laws much be all over the place as to other states you can both buy from and sell to? It's alcohol so its going to have all kinds of laws associated with it that would not be with almost all other alternative investments.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."