mathjak's daytrading adventures

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: mathjak's daytrading adventures

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:18 am

looks like the premarket shows TLT and GLD starting to take a dip again ...

TLT and gld remind of a parent yelling at their kid . they explode in a knee jerk reaction and within no time they go back to calm like it never happened ....until the next outburst .

so we shall see later. a 1-2% fall and i will rebuy it . in the mean time i bought xle yesterday in the interim since oil got beaten up the other day .. i bought xle the other day and sold it and ge for a small profit 1 day later . i rebought xle yesterday after selling tlt and gld while they still had nice gains on the day ..they rolled back quite a bit by the close
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 am

Well getting ready to buy back in to Tlt and Gld today ....getting just what I had sold yesterday with 8k extra saved in pocket ....not bad for a days work and the pp is back intact again.

Done

Gld 138.76. Tlt 139.33. ... that was quite a drop on Tlt from yesterday’s high
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm

And let me just be one to say, seeing the numbers you are racking up makes me.... jealous/envious/pissed/etc :D

But the numbers are not making me consider doing it!
A few years back, a few people here were saying what a great buy gold miners were after their price drop and relative to gold or whatever. So I bought some. And then averaged down maybe 6 times as the price continued to drop. Finally, I said F*** it, and just waited it out until I finally got back to even, like 2 years later, and then sold it all. What a waste of time, and opportunity value. Also created unnecessary stress.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Gold miners are stocks first and a play on gold second..2008 saw them plunge while gold went up .... it is subject to strikes , shortages , politics , management and earnings ..they are nothing like gold ...you can wait forever for an individual company to come back even with gold rising.. the gold miner graveyard is filled with failed companies.

I never average down in individual companies...if I am wrong I am out. But my serious investing is only funds
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:12 am

i likely may run with slv today but i will say this about silver , it is not the same as gold when it comes to holding it .

silver is an industrial metal first and foremost . it does not offer the same protection as gold does in my opinion . 2008 saw silver plunge while gold went up .

so yeah , i will treat slv like i do any other stock speculation since i don't want to hold it like i would gold. if i guessed wrong . that means not a big position and a quick sell on a point or 2 rise . with very little leeway allowed on a fall . only a point or two if i am wrong and i'm out of it
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 am

You’re not exactly going out on a limb with that opinion. It’s the reason Harry dropped silver from his older permanent portfolio, and the common consensus here.

Let us know if you buy it!
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 am

i classify silver with mining shares .. very speculative and nothing i would bet the ranch on or hold long term . do you know i bought silver bars back in 1987 from republic bank when they sold them ... silver was 9.37 when i bought ... i sold around 10 and was glad as here we are decades later and it did not even double ...in the mean time a hypothetical 100k in the fidelity insight newsletter growth model i used for decades is worth 3.4 million today . the silver would not even have seen 200k
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:21 am

I guess reading about the Hunt brothers cured me of betting on silver. I only buy coins to give away to nieces and nephews, and occasionally with Christmas tips.
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:10 am

Along with the other assets of the PP, holding something reasonably volatile is useful, so yearly or at limits you have a chance to rebalance.

I hold silver for that reason (5%). Also for the fact it is "real" as a safeguard.

I think for the past 20 years, looking at a chart, there were likely multiple opportunities to sell and lock in profit on silver vs. buying all at point "a" and selling at point "b"

Sure, you can compare with your hypothetical holding, but would that holding have made it successfully through 2000/2001 and 2008 (not likely for me) and what is sure to come again?

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 am

But is it real if you're just holding SLV?

That's probably how I would buy it if I wanted to buy a significant amount for short-term trades.
RIP Toots
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:10 am
Along with the other assets of the PP, holding something reasonably volatile is useful, so yearly or at limits you have a chance to rebalance.

I hold silver for that reason (5%). Also for the fact it is "real" as a safeguard.

I think for the past 20 years, looking at a chart, there were likely multiple opportunities to sell and lock in profit on silver vs. buying all at point "a" and selling at point "b"

Sure, you can compare with your hypothetical holding, but would that holding have made it successfully through 2000/2001 and 2008 (not likely for me) and what is sure to come again?

there are always opportunities to lock in profits with volatile investments ... that is exactly why i turn TLT and gld in to trading vehicles ... 80% of the time they are locked in a range and go up and down . the more ups and downs you can harvest the greater the profits ... since the other day when i sold TLT AND it went up a bit after i sold to where it was this morning was about a 12 or 14k difference in my portfolio from high to low in just 3 days
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I just entered limit orders on gbtc ,slv and Ge ....we will see if any hit my price

Edit ..looks like none will hit as we enter the last half hour