MCD

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

MCD

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 am

Steve Easterbrook’s out. He was a wonderful CEO. His relationship with an employee was consensual, but it violated company policy, so he’s fired. Now I have to “fire” McDonald’s from my portfolio. Too bad, it was among my favorite stocks.

EDIT: clarified below
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: MCD

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 am
Steve Easterbrook’s out. He was a wonderful CEO. His relationship with an employee was consensual, but it violated company policy, so he’s fired. Now I have to “fire” McDonald’s from my portfolio. Too bad, it was among my favorite stocks.
Further explanation for your "have to"? Not following....

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am

As much as I love gourmet burgers, there is a special place in my heart for MCD foods, even though they are by all objective measures inferior. It must have to do with childhood memories.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
In this case, ‘have to’ = ‘really probably should.’
If I don’t want to hold on and watch the stock sink, I should quit while I’m ahead.
(I’m not selling today, though)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am

ochotona wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am
As much as I love gourmet burgers, there is a special place in my heart for MCD foods, even though they are by all objective measures inferior. It must have to do with childhood memories.
Same here. I don’t go there anymore, partly because I have better options and partly because there are homeless waiting inside and outside my local MCD, but I do have fond memories, entwined with those of family road trips.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
In this case, ‘have to’ = ‘really probably should.’
If I don’t want to hold on and watch the stock sink, I should quit while I’m ahead.
(I’m not selling today, though)
Thanks for the clarification as that is not at all what I had imagined you meant. The only thing I could think of was that it was on some moral basis but that did not fit in with what else you'd written, leaving me confused.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am
ochotona wrote:
Same here. I don’t go there anymore, partly because I have better options and partly because there are homeless waiting inside and outside my local MCD, but I do have fond memories, entwined with those of family road trips.
I've no McDonald's fan, last having bought a hamburger from them around 1973. But while on a cross country trip in 1981 I frequently stopped in McDonald's to buy certain non-meat products. And, what I admired about McDonalds was how systemized that they were. It seemed like all was the same in each McDonald's I was at. That contrasts to this favorite place I now go to eat (frequently twice a week) and always ordering the same thing each time. I think the first four times I ordered that thing it was made drastically differently each time, which told me that this food place as almost the opposite of McDonald's - low systemization.

Vinny
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 pm
You gotta know what to order.

Coffee is excellent.
ice cream cones rival DQ at a better price.
the McDouble ia way better than quarter pounder at a better price ($1.69 here). Have two!
the egg McMuffin is great, but only when on sale (use the app, or the current ongoing special is 2 for $4), no value at reg $3.59

Ice cream is underrated indeed
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:25 pm

ochotona wrote:
I think McDonalds burgers taste great too. All their food, really. You may be right about all the objective measures*, but damn man that subjective measure is pretty powerful

Regular cheeseburgers have the highest protein/$ on the menu last time I calculated.

* I remember looking up the nutritional value of a Big Mac vs some "clean" bodybuilding type foods: peanut butter, oatmeal, chicken breasts. When you equalize the calories and macronutrients, the vitamin and minerals were in the Big Mac's favor. Maybe they get a bad rap!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

ochotona wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 pm
You gotta know what to order.

Coffee is excellent.
ice cream cones rival DQ at a better price.
the McDouble ia way better than quarter pounder at a better price ($1.69 here). Have two!
the egg McMuffin is great, but only when on sale (use the app, or the current ongoing special is 2 for $4), no value at reg $3.59

Ice cream is underrated indeed
The St. Patrick's day shake is ridiculously good.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm
I frequently stopped in McDonald's to buy certain non-meat products
What I find super-duper great while traveling, is that I can depend on McDonald's for three things: there is a vegetarian option, decent coffee, as well as a playground for my kid.

As for the stock, I think it's better to have the same rules for everybody including the CEO, than to invite endless problems like Google obviously did with Andy Rubin.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:11 am

europeanwizard wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 am
. As for the stock, I think it's better to have the same rules for everybody including the CEO, than to invite endless problems like Google obviously did with Andy Rubin.

I agree, wizard. And in fact the ousted CEO helped write the rules of personal conduct.
Last edited by dualstow on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 am

No vegetarian option in the US other than fries. Because we're savages :/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 am

europeanwizard wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm
I frequently stopped in McDonald's to buy certain non-meat products
What I find super-duper great while traveling, is that I can depend on McDonald's for three things: there is a vegetarian option, decent coffee, as well as a playground for my kid.

As for the stock, I think it's better to have the same rules for everybody including the CEO, than to invite endless problems like Google obviously did with Andy Rubin.
What is the vegetarian option? On my no list for foods / drink is: meat, fish, sugar (in all its forms including dextrose, high fructose corn syrup), alcohol, vinegar, beets (the last two because I cannot stand their taste (or in the case of vinegar, even its smell)). I don't bring any dairy / eggs into my house but I will eat them in the infrequent times I am eating out.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:55 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 am
No vegetarian option in the US other than fries. Because we're savages :/
Now my hopes are dashed! During that 1981 cross country there I went to McDonald's several times for their sugar type things. But now that I've been off sugar since 1985 no more for that. But I seem to still remember salads, home fries, and, of course, the French fries.

I heard that Burger King, though, has a vegetarian option? I'm not sure, however, if there are any more Burger Kings left in my area.

What is the reason why McDonald's does not have this option? The investment would not yield the required return?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am

I guess most people who go there have better options for veg meals. But there's this:
https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/full ... alads.html
and this
https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/prod ... rfait.html

And Burger King has the "Impossible" burger which, if it's anything like Beyond Meat, is made of pea protein and beet juice.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am
I guess most people who go there have better options for veg meals. But there's this:
and this

And Burger King has the "Impossible" burger which, if it's anything like Beyond Meat, is made of pea protein and beet juice.
The Salads? One choice - Side Salad. Looks standard and acceptable.

The Fruit 'N Yogurt Parfait? I'd be almost 100% certain that BOTH the vanilla yogurt and the granola have their share of the ever-present sugar.

For whatever I buy in a store I read all the labels so as to not buy anything that has sugar in it.

When I'm eating out, I avoid anything overtly sugar, like desserts unless otherwise stated.

But I do eat pizza and pasta products, both of which might have some sugar in the dough or the sauce. I try to be fairly vigilant but I also try to draw the line at being impossibly pure.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:39 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am
and this

The Impossible Burger is soy protein, similar to the old Boca Burgers.
Yes. The Impossible is the name I remember. And, I was mistaken. There is one in the town where I work. 1.7 miles and 7 minutes away.

Vinny
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 am
On my no list for foods / drink is: meat, fish, sugar (in all its forms including dextrose, high fructose corn syrup), alcohol, vinegar, beets (the last two because I cannot stand their taste (or in the case of vinegar, even its smell)). I don't bring any dairy / eggs into my house but I will eat them in the infrequent times I am eating out.
My diet's basically the same, except for copious amounts of alcohol :D

ex-US has https://www.brandeating.com/2013/09/aro ... a-new.html

McDonalds and KFC are expected to roll out Beyond Meat options. If it were up to me they'd be legally required to, ofc even better would be a ban on factory farming aka high-throughput industrialized slaughter
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 am

vnatale wrote:
What is the vegetarian option?
Salads and Egg McMuffin were mentioned but here in Europe, we have some options:
https://www.mcdonalds.com/nl/nl-nl/full ... risch.html

I'm don't think that's widely available, though.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 am

europeanwizard wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 am
vnatale wrote:
What is the vegetarian option?
Salads and Egg McMuffin were mentioned but here in Europe, we have some options:
https://www.mcdonalds.com/nl/nl-nl/full ... risch.html

I'm don't think that's widely available, though.
Is it just a misconception on my part....or, is the European way sometimes more enlightened than the American way?

Vinny
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 am

dualstow wrote:
'Buy into a business that's doing so well an idiot could run it, because sooner or later, one will.'” -Warren Buffett

If you really think MCD is a good company, why would you sell based solely on the CEO being ousted?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:29 am

AdamA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 am
dualstow wrote:
'Buy into a business that's doing so well an idiot could run it, because sooner or later, one will.'” -Warren Buffett

If you really think MCD is a good company, why would you sell based solely on the CEO being ousted?
A fair question, Adam. The broad market is the only thing I feel comfortable holding very long term. I bought MCD in part to be a component of my stable of dividend raisers. But, it has skyrocketed in the past several years. Even if that CEO had been able to stay, I was considering trimming the stock until its price comes back down. (I would immediately replace it with something like VTSAX/broad market index).

I’ve watched a few individual stocks really soar and then blow up on me. iRobot (trade war & tariffs). Altria (don’t know why it skyrocketed in the first place). The stocks that gradually go up while steadily raising dividends get to stay. Paradoxically, the stocks that go up quickly are likely to get punished (trimmed by me), b/c of my new loss-of-gain (not loss of original capital) aversion.

Of course, now that MCD is recovering, I may hang on for a bit if they keep raising the dividends.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 am
Is it just a misconception on my part....or, is the European way sometimes more enlightened than the American way?
Well.... it's great that it's sold here, of course. But it doesn't really taste like meat. It's really a patty that's made from some form of mushroom or something. It tastes very neutral. I've had the Beyond Meat burger and that does taste like meat, I really really like it. I wish they'd sell it here on a bun.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

europeanwizard wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:07 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 am
Well.... it's great that it's sold here, of course. But it doesn't really taste like meat. It's really a patty that's made from some form of mushroom or something. It tastes very neutral. I've had the Beyond Meat burger and that does taste like meat, I really really like it. I wish they'd sell it here on a bun.
I don't need an option that tastes like meat. I have a friend who is also vegetarian who used to buy all these things that were like pseudo meats. I don't need those types of things. I really did not miss meat once I gave it up. But it would be nice to have McDonald's and other similar places provide something that I can eat. A lot of times for some places I go to if I have three choices that's close to unbelievable. I think there was one or two choices at a brewery I went to with my softball team after our games.

VInny