REITs

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

REITs

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am

Anyone buying them?
Check out ‘Seattle’s Wage Mandate Kills Restaurants’ at WSJ | Opinion
You know you’re into the pp when you see expiration dates at the grocery store and think, I have some bonds coming due then.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: REITs

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am

I bought most of my REITs at the beginning of the year, but am 150% REITs at the moment (using DRN to get additional leverage). Currently only buying with new contributions.

My buying is completely driven by my model approach though: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9404
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 am

150%, that’s a lotta REITs!
You know you’re into the pp when you see expiration dates at the grocery store and think, I have some bonds coming due then.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 pm

I really wish I would have loaded up in my VP a while back when they were still really beaten down. I thought about it, but chose not to. Kind of regretting that one. Oh well.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm

yeah, they are kind of high now, if 52 weeks matter. But, so is everything else.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Yup... I mean, as far as they are included in total market indexes -- to that extent I am buying them haha.
640K ought to be enough for anybody.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Funny you should mention that out of the blue. ??? I've been considering adding an REIT fund for a while now and am pretty close to pulling the trigger. It's not a timing thing for me, but I sorta like them in moderation for the income in good times and inflation protection when needed.
PortfolioCharts.com : Find a portfolio to love
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:26 pm

Tyler wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm
Funny you should mention that out of the blue. ??? I've been considering adding an REIT fund for a while now and am pretty close to pulling the trigger. It's not a timing thing for me, but I sorta like them in moderation for the income in good times and inflation protection when needed.
Thanks for all the good work over at Portfolio charts. I would be interested to know what you think might end up being a final allocation for you.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:39 pm

modeljc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:26 pm
Thanks for all the good work over at Portfolio charts. I would be interested to know what you think might end up being a final allocation for you.
"Final" is a strong word. I always have an open mind to new information. But I'm leaning towards this:

20% Total Stock Market
20% Small Cap Value
20% Long Term Treasuries
20% Gold
10% REITs
10% Short Term Treasuries

It still basically runs like a PP with a side of SCV. I'm just looking at replacing some of the cash with REITs. They provide some of the same inflation protection with a bit more income and my cash levels are already pretty healthy relative to my expenses. The overall portfolio also has performed especially well in certain metrics that matter to me like perpetual WRs.

One of these days I'm going to write a post about my portfolio and how I got there. Not that my story is anything special, but it's always good to hear different investing perspectives.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:39 pm
modeljc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:26 pm
"Final" is a strong word. I always have an open mind to new information. But I'm leaning towards this:

20% Total Stock Market
20% Small Cap Value
20% Long Term Treasuries
20% Gold
10% REITs
10% Short Term Treasuries

It still basically runs like a PP with a side of SCV. I'm just looking at replacing some of the cash with REITs. They provide some of the same inflation protection with a bit more income and my cash levels are already pretty healthy relative to my expenses. The overall portfolio also has performed especially well in certain metrics that matter to me like perpetual WRs.

One of these days I'm going to write a post about my portfolio and how I got there. Not that my story is anything special, but it's always good to hear different investing perspectives.
Final is not so strong for me as I am 82 and still thinking about the perfect portfolio. How does the backtest work out?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:20 pm

modeljc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm
Final is not so strong for me as I am 82 and still thinking about the perfect portfolio. How does the backtest work out?
In this case modeling it for yourself is a lot simpler than waiting on me to post a bunch of charts. ;)

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:20 pm
modeljc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm
In this case modeling it for yourself is a lot simpler than waiting on me to post a bunch of charts. ;)

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/
Average returns +1.9%. Thanks!