One spreadsheet to rule them all?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

gospodin_i

One spreadsheet to rule them all?

Post by gospodin_i » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 am

I've been running a PP for over a year now along with some additional investments I've made in different instruments:
  • Industry/geography-targeting ETFs
  • P2P lending (various platforms)
I want to unite and track all my investments in one place to understand how they're performing.

I tried searching on Google and these and other forums about ready-made solutions: spreadsheets other people have made, etc. I've been able to find some good ones, but most are not fit to track my P2P investments.

I've been thinking about building my own thing (I'm not an Excel wizard, but I can cope with simple formulas, etc.), but wanted to check here one more time if someone's seen or used something along those lines.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: One spreadsheet to rule them all?

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:01 am

Your needs sound reasonable, but highly specific. I think you'll find rolling your own is the way to go.

You'll learn something and you'll get what you're looking for. Google Sheets imports data better than Excel. But... use what works for you.

As you progress and run into roadblocks, feel free to ask the group here how to solve whatever problem you've found. There is a lot of experience on this board. Tell us what you've tried, what you're trying to accomplish and how you're stuck. Show your work and don't be embarrassed.

Best of luck.
Mark