Smithers’ Wall Street Bets Tavern

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Smithers’ Wall Street Bets Tavern

Post by dualstow »

From the Meme Thread
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm Honestly guys, I don't know EXACTLY how Gamestop became the mega meme stock it did. Really, by Wall Street Bets' own admission, they are not a very well coordinated group. I imagine the fervour around the stock rose organically through the subreddit's various discussions.

If I had to guess, it probably started with the user u/deepfuckingvalue sharing with everyone how he made a massive call option bet on the company. When the bet paid off it became the meme-ist of meme stocks.

That said... GME TO THE MOOOOOOOONNNN.

🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀
ha, they’re talking about it now on CNBC. I’ve never heard Wall Street Bets mentioned before.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Smithers’ Wall Street Bets Tavern

Post by Smith1776 »

HOLD THE LINE, GUYS. TO THE MOON.

E0F7D9AB-5A26-4E87-AD7C-348D3AE3441B.jpeg
E0F7D9AB-5A26-4E87-AD7C-348D3AE3441B.jpeg (247.28 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

Remember that scene in The Last Samurai where all the sword toting Samurai are charging at the regiment with guns? It’s like that.

Oh god, guys. I need to get off this subreddit and get back to Browne principles. Save me! O0 O0 O0
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

WHO NEEDS DUE DILIGENCE WHEN WE’VE GOT MUSIC VIDEOS!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... r_all_the/

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am WHO NEEDS DUE DILIGENCE WHEN WE’VE GOT MUSIC VIDEOS!!!

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
That's great.

I can't recall if I mentioned that I know a millennial person who is doing this. And I don't know what to say to him. I guess, nothing. But I will feel pretty bad if he loses his life savings this way.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

It’s funny to hear fox biz news quoting Elon saying “Gamestonk.”
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I fucking hate the reddit format, but WSB is some entertaining stuff.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

dualstow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:04 am From the Meme Thread
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm Honestly guys, I don't know EXACTLY how Gamestop became the mega meme stock it did. Really, by Wall Street Bets' own admission, they are not a very well coordinated group. I imagine the fervour around the stock rose organically through the subreddit's various discussions.

If I had to guess, it probably started with the user u/deepfuckingvalue sharing with everyone how he made a massive call option bet on the company. When the bet paid off it became the meme-ist of meme stocks.

That said... GME TO THE MOOOOOOOONNNN.

🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀
ha, they’re talking about it now on CNBC. I’ve never heard Wall Street Bets mentioned before.
What if anything can GameStop do with this new found capital - Develop a streaming service - buy out of brick and mortar leases? What happens to GameStop when the bubble pops
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

GT wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:00 am What if anything can GameStop do with this new found capital - Develop a streaming service - buy out of brick and mortar leases? What happens to GameStop when the bubble pops
There's a really good write-up on this by Matt Levine at Bloomberg. I don't have a link as I get his "Money Stuff" column in my email. So interesting.
This GameStop hoopla: Now of course it's on every channel and site, but I first heard about it from Smithers. So funny. O0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

I Shrugged wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:13 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am WHO NEEDS DUE DILIGENCE WHEN WE’VE GOT MUSIC VIDEOS!!!

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
That's great.

I can't recall if I mentioned that I know a millennial person who is doing this. And I don't know what to say to him. I guess, nothing. But I will feel pretty bad if he loses his life savings this way.
Not just millenials. I've been hearing lots of talk from my 40+ year old kids about how they are looking into making money in the stock market. My ex-son-in-law and father of 2 of my grandkids seems to be the main influence but I suspect there are others. He's a convicted felon (grand theft), BTW.

I have no clue what it is they are really thinking but I'm guessing it has something to do with this or at least something like it. I saw Dave Portnoy of Barstools talking about how much money he was making in stocks and how easy it was on Foxnews while he was shut down because of Covid.

When my oldest daughter talked to me about it I referred her to Harry's 12 rules and haven't been asked for any advice since. I guess she didn't like that first rule about your career being the most important part of building a portfolio.

Thinking this won't end well for a lot of people but who knows?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I didn’t know doodle had started a separate thread on GME. No wonder this thread isn’t getting much traffic.
Well, here it is - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11835
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I know Musk & Cuban are bright guys, but I wish they would take a break from public statements. I feel like they’re ushering in an age of vapid celebs and sports starts tweeting about whatever crap investment they want to go up.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Well, a ton of people are interested in what Musk and Cuban have to say. Save your wishes bro! There are a lot of Ja'Rules to go around ;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:41 pm Well, a ton of people are interested in what Musk and Cuban have to say. Save your wishes bro! There are a lot of Ja'Rules to go around ;D
If what they have to say is “dogecoin, whoo-hoo!”, I have to stand by my wish. O0