mathjak's daytrading adventures

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

amdda01

Re: mathjak's daytrading adventures

Post by amdda01 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Mathjak,

How did you decide to go with GE and XLE?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:08 pm

i watch for what gets beaten up the usual 2% or so and take a shot the market over did it . if it does not do a dead cat bounce before hitting my stop loss i am out .

when i guess wrong i can be out very quickly if i don't get the bounce . as you see in the trading statement i posted i keep losses to a very low minimum and in fact if the stock recovers the next day but is only up slightly i take the small profit and move on .

unless it is something i don't mind keeping i keep the investments under 20k . i don't mind having to sit on gold , long term treasuries , xle , uso , as even in a down trend they spike upwards when it is their day in the sun . i am up to 400k in gold i am holding at this point as i averaged down . i am about .33% from even after today . but things like ge or kraft heinz , no way would i speculate in them with big big dollars .... just in and out.

we should get a tweet or news soon that should send TLT back down a bit and i will buy it again and see where it goes . i don't mind holding these if i have to . but i rather ride the wave .
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 am

Xle And GE gone . Both at small profits ...now both are down .. if Ge falls another 2% so from where I sold I will rebuy . Down about 1% now from where I sold earlier....these are all tradeded in my ira so no tax issues
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:38 am

buying back tlt today . pocketing a few thousand on the roll back and buying back what i had . still have gold
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:23 pm

wow crazy day for TLT . from the time i bought it this morning until i just got a chance to look again now , it was up 2k . when i went in to the studio after buying it earlier i was down 100 bucks ...so it recovered right after ...

so i am back again with the pp in its entirety and a couple of thousand additional in the coffers from selling Tlt earlier while it was still up high about two weeks ago.

I was tempted to sell what I bought this morning but I will wait a bit
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:42 am

well missed selling out TLT on friday since i was in the studio and markets closed early , , otherwise with TLT looking like it will be hammered today i would have been buying back in .. so instead i will add to gld and tlt positions and wait for the next spike ....that will bring me to 414k in each position at this point ... i will allow up to 500k in each position since beyond that i have all i will allow to go to the pp which would be 2 mil .

i don't mind having to wait with the pp since it is still a fine portfolio , just not my first choice so i prefer to use the pp as my variable trading vehicle where i can . . otherwise the gravy in gld and tlt swings just goes unharvested as it goes up 2% and down 2% . but these swings on these dollars is thousands of dollars each time in extra profit where i can .

those swings become crazy at these levels on days like today's futures where gld and tlt get pounded . tlt looks down 1.72% and gld about .75% so far at 5:42 am
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am

both gld and tlt sold this morning for another almost 7k profit ....keep you posted on the next dip
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am

How do you define "dip"? A percentage, your eyeball?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:57 am

i usually want 1 to 2 % per trade. a dip of 1.50-2% will get me in again . so far there is always something that causes these surges and roll backs ... capturing a few thousand each time really adds up .... hit 31k on tlt this morning in trade profits ..

but it is a bit uncomfortable when i don't have them flying fighter cover while waiting for the dip . so doing this is not for everyone because while you know the dip is coming you don't know when .

it already rolled back a few thousand off this mornings highs ...i did not catch the high though when i sold but it is now below where i sold after going up a few thousand higher .

so based on the dollars i use if we slide back 1 to 2% we are talking 4400-8400 dollars difference ..
Last edited by mathjak107 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Gotcha, thanks.

Uncovered bombers, never good. :-)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Do you do this on stock ETFs as well? We're having a nice dip there as well currently.

And let me just be one to say, seeing the numbers you are racking up makes me.... jealous/envious/pissed/etc :D

But the numbers are not making me consider doing it!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 pm

i rarely do it with equities . they just don't tend to fall out of favor so predictably ... investors love to hate gold and long term bonds i have found .

we get days like today , and see the equal of a 700 point drop or gain in the dow from TLT . tomorrow investors want out.

gld has been stuck in a trading range so i haven't made as much with gld as tlt .. i show about 7k this year in gold as that money was in other stuff most of the time which had more of a trading range ,and 31k on TLT .

last year was different and i had over 30k in profit from gld .

if anyone wants i can post my trading statement .. you can see i have lots of small dollar gains because with the exception of gold and treasuries i keep very tight stop losses .. basically i look for a quick bounce . if i don't get it i am out fast .

but i never mind putting a lot of money in gld or tlt because it always gives me a quick entry and access point . the problem i find is if you wait to long to sell and it falls , well you can vbe at a loss for a long long time , like years .. so for tlt or gld i have a limit of up to 500k in each but very short 1 to 2% moves . but that money is only committed lately for at best a week and its out lately .

with equities i will wait until a bigger dip , and take a shot on a bounce in a day or 2 . right or wrong i am out .