Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Desert Portfolio Question

Post by Kbg »

Jeffreyalan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am
Kbg wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:40 pm

I think funds like BIL or SHY are brilliant replacements for cash.
How do you feel about the safety of ETFS that hold Treasuries? I am contemplating keeping a stash of cash there and sucking up the .15 expense ratio instead of having to managing a 1-2 year treasury ladder.
VGSH is .07%. And I think Schwabs is cheaper. That’s pretty cheap for the convenience. I have both treasury funds and a treasury direct account and while I like TD and use it, the fact is you can only buy in $100 increments and you buy at a discount and get full face value back. So for example you buy for 97.50 get 100 back and if you roll then you have 2.50 that you can’t do anything with.

If you go with one of the big ETF companies I wouldn’t have any concerns safety wise and as mentioned it becomes cost vs hassle factor.

For me I like the etf version in a brokerage that reinvests dividends with fractional shares...but I would not argue against TD at all. Really it’s a matter of preference and cost for convenience.
Jeffreyalan

Post by Jeffreyalan »

Kbg wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am
Kbg wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:40 pm

I think funds like BIL or SHY are brilliant replacements for cash.
How do you feel about the safety of ETFS that hold Treasuries? I am contemplating keeping a stash of cash there and sucking up the .15 expense ratio instead of having to managing a 1-2 year treasury ladder.
VGSH is .07.

If you go with one of the big ETF companies I wouldn’t have any concerns safety wise and as mentioned it becomes cost vs hassle factor.

I was looking at shorter duration ETFs like BIL or GBIL. I understand the mechanisms behind ETFS but still have some nervousness (probably unfounded) about putting a huge chunk of my savings into them.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Jeffreyalan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm
Kbg wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am

VGSH is .07.

I was looking at shorter duration ETFs like BIL or GBIL. I understand the mechanisms behind ETFS but still have some nervousness (probably unfounded) about putting a huge chunk of my savings into them.
While they are not very fun or interesting to read, I recommend reading the full prospectuses of the ETF s you are considering. I would be cautious about going too short in duration with a fund. At least with the data I have and on Mornignstar, BIL lost a small percent for six years in a row as fees were higher than interest received and SHV basically returned nothing.

If you are nervous about treasury ETFs then go with CDs at a bank where you have FDIC insurance backing.