Cash has exceeded my rebalance band, but....?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Cash has exceeded my rebalance band, but....?

Post by Cortopassi »

Cash in my PP, due to additions from 401k, and dropping of all other assets, has hit 140% of target (14.1% vs. 10% target).

I already am not technically following the true PP with a lower cash allocation, obviously.

I am now faced with a choice. Do I rebalance now, because of the cash band and stay true, wait until Jan for my annual rebalance, or continue to accumulate cash because Shit is Going to Hit the Fan even more across assets in the next few months, minimum?

That would be predicting, which I am not supposed to do.

The way my spread is right now a rebalance from cash would go ~50% to bonds, 30% to gold and 20% to stocks.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cash has exceeded my rebalance band, but....?

Post by buddtholomew »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:39 pm Cash in my PP, due to additions from 401k, and dropping of all other assets, has hit 140% of target (14.1% vs. 10% target).

I already am not technically following the true PP with a lower cash allocation, obviously.

I am now faced with a choice. Do I rebalance now, because of the cash band and stay true, wait until Jan for my annual rebalance, or continue to accumulate cash because Shit is Going to Hit the Fan even more across assets in the next few months, minimum?

The way my spread is right now a rebalance from cash would go ~50% to bonds, 30% to gold and 20% to stocks.
No right or wrong answer of course.
If I was in your shoes, allocate 2% now and then follow your January rebalancing plan.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

buddtholomew wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:12 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:39 pm Cash in my PP, due to additions from 401k, and dropping of all other assets, has hit 140% of target (14.1% vs. 10% target).

No right or wrong answer of course.
If I was in your shoes, allocate 2% now and then follow your January rebalancing plan.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. It's also helpful for me to think in terms of actual dollars. So, say you have $1,000,000 total and you have $40,000 in cash that you want to "put to work". That would be about $20,000 going to stocks, $12,000 to gold and $8,000 to bonds. If you throw it all in now and stocks go down another 10%, you've lost $2,000 on the stock portion.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

My stock answer is, spread out your rebalance program over several months, in bites that are small enough that you won't fret.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Thanks!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

I disagree. Over the long run discipline will payoff in terms of total return. Additionally, if you have a strategy and then don’t actually follow it then A) quit lying to yourself and admit you don’t actually have plan and don’t actually care to follow whatever it is you thought you had B) Just forget every single backtest or performance measurement and risk profile you think you have because in point of fact, you don’t have what you think you have because you’re not doing it.

Flip the marble in the roulette wheel and let it roll...could be awesome, could be bad.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Kbg wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 pm I disagree. Over the long run discipline will payoff in terms of total return. Additionally, if you have a strategy and then don’t actually follow it then A) quit lying to yourself and admit you don’t actually have plan and don’t actually care to follow whatever it is you thought you had B) Just forget every single backtest or performance measurement and risk profile you think you have because in point of fact, you don’t have what you think you have because you’re not doing it.

Flip the marble in the roulette wheel and let it roll...could be awesome, could be bad.
kbg, definitely good points. The only reason I brought this up is my tweaked 10% cash level vs. the standard 25%. If I was still at the standard setup, I would be nowhere near the rebalance band for cash, so I am walking a line here.

And now looking at my numbers this morning, after mutual funds priced, my breakdown is cash would go 35% stocks, 40% bonds, 25% gold. Interesting the change over the course of a few hours.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

A good reason not to rebalance now: you might not be able to tax loss harvest for another 31 days. If that's in the cards, you might want to do that first and then rebalance when you change investments back in 31 days.

Or, is this really about sticking with your cash target allocation of 10% vs increasing it? Fair question, but the danger is that you keep tweaking the portfolio as you go, and end up with an active management strategy. You might beat the vanilla PP if you do that, or you might lose out. Probability favors the latter.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

sophie wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am but the danger is that you keep tweaking the portfolio as you go, and end up with an active management strategy.
It was very tempting to rebalance before recent stock turmoil had started. My cash and stocks portions of 4x25 HBPP were somewhere close to 27-28 ish %, while gold and LTTs approached low 20th %. Now it is too late :-) After all, it is just easier to do nothing: will stick with 15/35% bands as the doctor prescribed.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Ugly_Bird wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 am
sophie wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am but the danger is that you keep tweaking the portfolio as you go, and end up with an active management strategy.
It was very tempting to rebalance before recent stock turmoil had started. My cash and stocks portions of 4x25 HBPP were somewhere close to 27-28 ish %, while gold and LTTs approached low 20th %. Now it is too late :-) After all, it is just easier to do nothing: will stick with 15/35% bands as the doctor prescribed.
Darn it. I have mentally decided 10% cash is the right spot for me long ago, so I will rebalance. Then I also have to stick to my guns and do an annual rebalance in Jan.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

1. I decided last year to switch last year from annual rebalancing to 15/35 bands. Not market timing, but hoping to favorably catch future market swings.

2. Remember that, in the short run, you can never have too much Cash. In fact, more than any of the four HBPP assets, Cash makes me feel rich.

3, I find that having a written investment plan for the year helps take the emotion out of investing.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Carto...good job! However, Sophie, as always, made a great point...always do the tax math. We don’t know the future, we can estimate taxes consequences with great precision. So from a tax perspective a rebalance may make a lot of sense. I’m not saying yours does right now as I have no idea...but yeah, run the numbers for your situation.

Historically we are moving into the best investment months of the year, so one could project a rebound and likely the Fed is done raising rates this year...and that would be my personal scenario if I had a significant tax implication to make a decision on. Taxes should be the big dog variable and near certain as to the impact, market scenario should be a minor variable. If the market is making the whole thing near random (don’t really know) then stay disciplined. One quick example, tax loss harvesting when you are down more than a likely rebound is almost a no brainer. You know the impact by doing it “now” and it will be advantageous. The future market may or may not make the harvest better or worse.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Jh,

Short term yes, long term categorically false...and particularly so if real vs nominal is negative as it is now.

(And yes age is a factor...but as a general rule the above is a better principle to guide your portfolio by.)

Edit...I’m only referring to item #2.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Kbg,

1. You make an excellent point about accounting for tax implications.

2. I absolutely agree that you want to have a long term strategy for Cash, which is precisely why I am such a fan of I bonds.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 am
Ugly_Bird wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 am
Darn it. I have mentally decided 10% cash is the right spot for me long ago, so I will rebalance. Then I also have to stick to my guns and do an annual rebalance in Jan.
I don't see this as a negative at all, but rather a win-win.
Where does it say that you have to re-balance to established percentages with 1 TRADE?
You are moving towards your 10% allocation. Period. Well done.

I'll also add that I used the last few weeks to now have 50% SPY/50% SCV as my stock allocation from cash as well - 30/20/15/35 finally.
Curious what others re-balancing bands would be for a 10%, 15%, 20% allocation.
Is it still % allocation x .4 such that 25*.4 = 10 which is the re-balance band for 25% allocation using 15/35 method.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Was going to pull the trigger today, but did not have time. Sometime tomorrow I hope.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

And it hasn't happened yet because of time, but of course it is trending back to where I thought it would, needing to dump more into gold and less into stocks. Ahh the black hole that is gold.... :D
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:07 am And it hasn't happened yet because of time, but of course it is trending back to where I thought it would, needing to dump more into gold and less into stocks. Ahh the black hole that is gold.... :D
Same story as ever...at least this time I sold gold and bought SPY/SCV...

This portfolio doesn’t work since you should be buying stocks when they decline not sit in Gold and LTT’s...what a dump.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

buddtholomew wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 am This portfolio doesn’t work since you should be buying stocks when they decline not sit in Gold and LTT’s...what a dump.
Not so today? Let's keep looking every... hmm.. 10 minutes. :-)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

It is a strange commodity. And they'll try to link its rise to some event, which is almost 100% inaccurate.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 am It is a strange commodity. And they'll try to link its rise to some event, which is almost 100% inaccurate.
No, no, no. They told you it would happen! :-)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

I have not rebalanced yet, and one of the reasons I dropped cash to 10% was because it has been paying nothing for a long time. Now the cash I have at Ally is at a 2% interest rate, and I wonder if that warrants raising cash a bit higher than 10%.

Tinkering around the edges...darn it.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM »

Goldman Sachs is saying it's time to "Boost Cash".

So is it really a good idea to sell stocks and increase cash right now or is their advice part of the scheme to increase revenues from transaction fees by having people jump in and out of the market?

Considering the source, I'm going with the latter.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Whatever your plan is do that.