10 years of PP ownership

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

10 years of PP ownership

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 pm

I started our PP in late 08, during the meltdown.
Since then, the 10 year avg annual return has been 5.5%. On balance I am happy with that. It seems like it should be much higher, but then again, the gold, the cash, not much return there.

Disclosure, I have some variances in the portfolio, mostly by having more munis than treasuries, and also having a good bit of intl stocks, but in grand scheme of things, it's a PP. What do you think, is 5.5% a good return for the PP for the past ten years? In any event, I'd have a hard time coming up with something that better addresses my goals.
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 10 years of PP ownership

Post by modeljc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 pm
I started our PP in late 08, during the meltdown.
Since then, the 10 year avg annual return has been 5.5%. On balance I am happy with that. It seems like it should be much higher, but then again, the gold, the cash, not much return there.

Disclosure, I have some variances in the portfolio, mostly by having more munis than treasuries, and also having a good bit of intl stocks, but in grand scheme of things, it's a PP. What do you think, is 5.5% a good return for the PP for the past ten years? In any event, I'd have a hard time coming up with something that better addresses my goals.
For me I think a good return for the PP is a real return of 3% to %5. Reported inflation over the last 10 years is about 1.5% per year. This is probably understated but it's all we have. So you have meet my goal for a number of years!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Your numbers are heartening.
Seems like a decent return to me.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm setting up my HSA as a cashless Permanent Portfolio. I think this will be nice when I look back in 10 years.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I don't plan on withdrawing anything from my HSA for several decades, so I have it all in VT.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:38 am

Yeah, those are very decent returns. With a European PP, these are not feasible. So I'd say very nice indeed.