UK Sipp investment options

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Superb376

UK Sipp investment options

Post by Superb376 »

Hi all,

I'm living in Scotland and plan to implement a UK version of the Permanent Portfolio.

I recently requested a partial transfer from my work place pension to a sipp.

I'm considering dividing my sipp into 3 parts.

Stocks ISF

Bonds IGLT

Gold SGLN (Preferred ZGLDGB but sipp said it's not available as no KIDD available)

Plan to use cash ISA for the cash portion but may also invest 100 percent in cash in my workplace pension as I used to be 100 percent in global equity. I think cash will be a less volatile option and a good way to take advantage of company matching contribution and helpful for future rebalancing opportunities.

Let me know your thoughts on this idea. Please feel free to private message me as well. Any UK investors would be helpful to hear from too.

Many thanks everyone!
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: UK Sipp investment options

Post by gizmo_rat »

Hey Superb376

Looks fine to me, only thing I'm not sure about is IGLT as the bond holding.

I'm not sure that it's "long" enough, it's Duration is 11.36 years Maturity is 15.96 years, in contrast TLT which is the ETF the guys in the US use has a duration of 17.15 years and a maturity of 25.5 years which as I recall is "Good enough".

If you can't just buy individual long dated gilts e.g. GB00BBJNQY21 then you can ( I think) alter the bond/cash ratio to get to the correct duration.

BUT tbf I don't actually know what I'm talking about as I mainly have individual gilts. Perhaps ask in the bond section if it's a concern.