A suggestion for this forum

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Wonk
Executive Member
Executive Member

A suggestion for this forum

Post by Wonk »

I found the Permanent Portfolio thread on the B'head board several years ago through a google search.  It was tremendously helpful to me--although I've since become addicted to reading all things economics  :'(

A suggestion I have to everyone who posts here is instead of using "PP," simply spell out "Permanent Portfolio."  The keywords in natural text will eventually build organic SEO content and help sites like google rank this forum highly in natural searches so others can find it easily.  If we all do this for the next 6 months, it should help this forum tremendously. 

If Harry Browne were here today, I'm sure he'd be proud of the work Craig and others are doing in helping to spread the word to those in need of real financial information.  I hope many more people can find this forum and get the information they may be searching for.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A suggestion for this forum

Post by craigr »

Good idea. I try to use the words permanent portfolio myself when I remember.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

Another thing that might be helpful... craigr, how about putting the forum URL into your signature line at the BH?
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

My suggestion: automatically reduce the size of charts too large to fit a normal screen - normal pixel width for a full web page is 960 pixels - it is really annoying to scroll for example this thread http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ht ... ic.php?t=7 horizontally. Thank you.

Modern forum software can easily do this.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Wilco, Wonk.

Permanent Portfolio.  Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio.Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio.

Will that help at all? :)
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

I haven't looked, but I assume it would be easy to modify the forum software so that "PP" is replaced by "Permanent Portfolio" (and "pp" by "permanent portfolio") automatically.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

rickb wrote:I haven't looked, but I assume it would be easy to modify the forum software so that "PP" is replaced by "Permanent Portfolio" (and "pp" by "permanent portfolio") automatically.
Although "supermanent portfolioose" might not help with SEO :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

WildAboutHarry wrote:
rickb wrote:I haven't looked, but I assume it would be easy to modify the forum software so that "PP" is replaced by "Permanent Portfolio" (and "pp" by "permanent portfolio") automatically.
Although "supermanent portfolioose" might not help with SEO :)
Actually, it looks like the "censored words" feature might be able to do this already - see http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Post ... ored_Words.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

hedgehog wrote: My suggestion: automatically reduce the size of charts too large to fit a normal screen - normal pixel width for a full web page is 960 pixels - it is really annoying to scroll for example this thread http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ht ... ic.php?t=7 horizontally. Thank you.

Modern forum software can easily do this.
Ha!  It was fun to read through that post again.  But a lot of those graphs had errors in them, so don't trust any of it...in fact don't believe anything I write on this forum.  ;)

I fixed the graph widths, even though it looked fine on my screen.  For those that don't know, simply do the following: [ img width=600]img url[/img]
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Writing out permanent portfolio every time is a fingerful, but doing it more would help us.

Craig and I have talked about that in the past.

Even with all of our PPs, though, I see that we are still number 8 when you do a Google search for "Permanent Portfolio" and we're on the first page, so that's pretty good, given that we're not paying anyone to improve our ranking or otherwise making any conscious effort to be ranked higher.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

its possible to get #1 ranking by creating a list of the words "permanent portfolio" repeated a few hundred times (copy cut and paste) and then posting the list in each thread to raise the ranking, i have seen this done on forums before as a part of an on running joke to have the forum listed as # one for "insert stupid humor here" with great and comedic results..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Reub wrote: Wilco, Wonk.

Permanent Portfolio.  Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio.Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio. Permanent Portfolio.

Will that help at all? :)
As you can see, I'm doing my part! ;)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

What if everyone put Permanent Portfolio in their sig line?
edsanville
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by edsanville »

I first read about the Permanent Portfolio in a Seeking Alpha comment.  It might help others to post a few comments there whenever stocks, bonds, or gold is mentioned in an article.

If you don't know about the Permanent Portfolio, you probably won't be searching for "Permanent Portfolio."  The good news is that the Wikipedia article for "Fail-Safe Investing" shows up #1 when you search for "safest portfolio."  Maybe someone could link to this forum from that article, (and others related to the PP or related topics).
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

if i remember correctly, think it worked best/fastest if its a wail of links permanent portfolio etc etc etc

*links are not allowed in  forum sig here anyway...
Last edited by l82start on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

if you want to see the page or forum index through a spiders eyeshttp://www.feedthebot.com/tools/spider/index.php  to get an idea what is being counted...
Last edited by l82start on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

The most effective way to improve search ranking is to get links from highly relevant, external sites with "permanent portfolio" in the anchor (link) text.  Of course it's much more complicated than just that.

Simply putting the words "permanent portfolio" in posts won't help all that much.  Google is far too smart to be gamed that way.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

flyingpylon wrote: The most effective way to improve search ranking is to get links from highly relevant, external sites with "permanent portfolio" in the anchor (link) text.  Of course it's much more complicated than just that.

Simply putting the words "permanent portfolio" in posts won't help all that much.  Google is far too smart to be gamed that way.
agreed..... it took an entire forum full of comedians a thirty + page thread of text walls and linking the key words to that thread from every post they made throughout the forum plus all their sigs for a period several days to achieve the high rank... and it was an obscure enough phrase that it had had little competition.  ....."can be gamed" and "easy to game" are definitely different things... (it was also a few years ago and Google changes things up if they spot cheats)
Last edited by l82start on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

flyingpylon wrote: The most effective way to improve search ranking is to get links from highly relevant, external sites with "permanent portfolio" in the anchor (link) text.  Of course it's much more complicated than just that.

Well, if we are #8 without any of that stuff I'm pretty impressed.  Other than craig's site I don't know of any sites that link here.

It's very liberating to be doing something just for fun, rather than to make money or attract as much attention as possible.

I figure if someone wants to find us it's pretty easy to do.  The book on Amazon probably drives a little traffic here as well (and vice versa).
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

If someone is searching for "Permanent Portfolio" it won't be long until they discover the forum on their own. It's the people searching for "how do preserve my wealth" or " how do I avoid losing all my my money" that are desperately looking for this forum and can't find it.  ;D
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

suggestion for the forum:

Add a sticky about what the phrase "money you can't afford to lose" means.

Add a sticky with links about emotional investing.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

l82start wrote: its possible to get #1 ranking by creating a list of the words "permanent portfolio" repeated a few hundred times (copy cut and paste) and then posting the list in each thread to raise the ranking, i have seen this done on forums before as a part of an on running joke to have the forum listed as # one for "insert stupid humor here" with great and comedic results..
The above is hopelessly outdated and wrong information.  So is keyword stuffing.  Especially after Google's recent Penguin 2.0 update, they will specifically penalize you (and possibly delist your site) if you receive a manual penalty for doing this kind of stuff, guaranteed.

What Craig can do is set up the forum's Title metatag so that each forum post appears as: "Permanent Portfolio Discussion Forum | Insert Title of Post"

I would also recommend using a plugin that converts the urls to keyword urls so that:

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/in ... _msg=69590

becomes...

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/permanen ... this-forum

See the difference?  The later is much more search engine friendly without being spammy.

I do this stuff for a living. 
Last edited by Coffee on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

Coffee wrote:
The above is hopelessly outdated and wrong information.  So is keyword stuffing.  Especially after Google's recent Penguin 2.0 update, they will specifically penalize you (and possibly delist your site) if you receive a manual penalty for doing this kind of stuff, guaranteed.

What Craig can do is set up the forum's Title metatag so that each forum post appears as: "Permanent Portfolio Discussion Forum | Insert Title of Post"

I would also recommend using a plugin that converts the urls to keyword urls so that:

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/in ... _msg=69590

becomes...

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/permanen ... this-forum

See the difference?  The later is much more search engine friendly without being spammy.

I do this stuff for a living. 
in my follow up post i mentioned it was old information and probably fixed by a Google up date,
the link i posted to what a spider sees combined with your advice is probably the realistic way to get better results.
(and less sketchy - although the use of that trick i am referring to was done for humor not profit)
Last edited by l82start on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

My bad.  Missed that. 
Apologies.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

The Modify button under my post does not work. On the top of it it works. Thanks.