European PP, update 6 months after starting

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by johntaylor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 am

frugal wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am
Do you admit to change from EUPP to USPP in function of these true results?
Hope I understand you correctly. As a european I would definitely not use a USPP portfolio, I use and will continue to use a strict EUPP. The reason why I am deep diving into US funds now is that in US there are so much more data and tools with which I can fine tune and back test my own calculations. And in case you mean something else with your question: yes I took care to use the cpi from usa to calculate my own real cagr for US funds.
Why is it so important to you to know this real cagr?
What I learned from my queste in finance so far is that the real cagr is the best way to give you insight in the long term performance of your portfolio.
User avatar
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by frugal » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 am

johntaylor wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 am
frugal wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am
Do you admit to change from EUPP to USPP in function of these true results?
Hope I understand you correctly. As a european I would definitely not use a USPP portfolio, I use and will continue to use a strict EUPP. The reason why I am deep diving into US funds now is that in US there are so much more data and tools with which I can fine tune and back test my own calculations. And in case you mean something else with your question: yes I took care to use the cpi from usa to calculate my own real cagr for US funds.
Why is it so important to you to know this real cagr?
What I learned from my queste in finance so far is that the real cagr is the best way to give you insight in the long term performance of your portfolio.
Hi

are you 100% on EUPP or you also have a VP?

My regards
johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by johntaylor » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:39 pm

frugal wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 am
johntaylor wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 am
frugal wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 am
Do you admit to change from EUPP to USPP in function of these true results?
Hope I understand you correctly. As a european I would definitely not use a USPP portfolio, I use and will continue to use a strict EUPP. The reason why I am deep diving into US funds now is that in US there are so much more data and tools with which I can fine tune and back test my own calculations. And in case you mean something else with your question: yes I took care to use the cpi from usa to calculate my own real cagr for US funds.
Why is it so important to you to know this real cagr?
What I learned from my queste in finance so far is that the real cagr is the best way to give you insight in the long term performance of your portfolio.
Hi

are you 100% on EUPP or you also have a VP?

My regards
100% on EUPP. With the rest of my money I just LIVE, although part of my life is wasting pocket money in casino's ;)
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Casinos are lame; If I'm in Europe I'm going hookers and strip clubs all the way.
User avatar
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by frugal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:36 am

Wooow

What a waste!

Try another hobby.
johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by johntaylor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 am

frugal wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:36 am
Wooow
What a waste!
Try another hobby.
Please don't care about my hobbies, but help me answering the question I ask about my portfolio calculations.
senecaaa
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 am

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by senecaaa » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:47 pm
johntaylor wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 pm
Have anyone ideas why my caluation of 2002-2017 EU PP cagrR is 3.5% while Tyler calculates 5.5% for the german PP in 2002-2017 ?
http://www.carterapermanente.es/cartera ... -con-etfs/
Here's my asset assumptions that I would use in the PC calculators from reading your previous posts. From punching in the numbers, I'm pretty confident it's what you're also using.

Stocks: Europe
LTT: Long term German bunds
Cash: German Tbills
Gold: Gold
@Tyler on your site, it says "Total Stock Market (GER)", so not Europe. If you made the calculations for the German stock market and @johntaylor with the European stock market, that could explain some of the differences?
User avatar
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by Tyler » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm

senecaaa wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 pm
@Tyler on your site, it says "Total Stock Market (GER)", so not Europe. If you made the calculations for the German stock market and @johntaylor with the European stock market, that could explain some of the differences?
I've changed the interface options several times over the years. Europe isn't an option now but was at one point.

That said, European PP investors may want to keep an eye on the site over the next few days/weeks as it's about to get a lot more interesting. :-X
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
senecaaa
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 am

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by senecaaa » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm

I can't wait! :P
johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by johntaylor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 pm

senecaaa wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm
I can't wait! :P
@Tyler is The hero. But I would also like to point you to @brownehead and his carterapermanente.es (use google translate). It gives valuable information about the european peculiars of the PP. And there is also kind of a community hanging around.
@Tyler on your site, it says "Total Stock Market (GER)", so not Europe. If you made the calculations for the German stock market and @johntaylor with the European stock market, that could explain some of the differences?
Your quote is from the time I made things too big and complicated. I later made a simple spreadsheet with historic results and hand typed data. I just checked it and it gives a real CAGR for 2002/2017 of 5.6% which does not differ much with Tyler's method (5.5%).
senecaaa
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 am

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by senecaaa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 am

johntaylor wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 pm
senecaaa wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm
I can't wait! :P
@Tyler is The hero. But I would also like to point you to @brownehead and his carterapermanente.es (use google translate). It gives valuable information about the european peculiars of the PP. And there is also kind of a community hanging around.
@Tyler on your site, it says "Total Stock Market (GER)", so not Europe. If you made the calculations for the German stock market and @johntaylor with the European stock market, that could explain some of the differences?
Your quote is from the time I made things too big and complicated. I later made a simple spreadsheet with historic results and hand typed data. I just checked it and it gives a real CAGR for 2002/2017 of 5.6% which does not differ much with Tyler's method (5.5%).
Ah, that is great to hear! And yes, @Tyler is my hero too. I'm playing with the calculators for months now. And read about every article on the site. I almost feel like an expert now :-)

I've found the Spanish PP site as well, thanks!
User avatar
europeanwizard
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 am
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Re: European PP, update 6 months after starting

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:43 am

Since Tyler is such a modest person and doesn't plaster his site with ads, I'll be the one to mention you can buy him a cup of coffee here:
https://portfoliocharts.com/2019/06/22/ ... th-coffee/
Post Reply