Is the Permanent Portfolio useful for itinerant people?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Someguy

Is the Permanent Portfolio useful for itinerant people?

Post by Someguy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 pm

There are several Permanent Portfolios for people living in different countries. But what if someone wants to leave his country, or he doesn't know where he will live, or for how much time? I guess there is problem here, specially if you don't let the PP to complete its cycle.

What do you think about this?:

25% World stocks
25% World bonds
25% Cash (in several currencies and countries)
25% Gold (in another country, and carrying some coins)

Another possibility would be a Boglehead portfolio. Or just World stocks and cash.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is the Permanent Portfolio useful for itinerant people?

Post by Hal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:37 am

Frankly, I would set up a PP in using the world reserve currency. Currently USD. Shares could be all US if you wish or a blend with international.

Then hold another separate allocation of cash from the country you are currently residing.

I wouldn't want to hold a Tonga PP or Zimbabwe PP if you were doing contract work in those countries!!
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is the Permanent Portfolio useful for itinerant people?

Post by sophie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:12 am

Definitely pick a hard currency for the cash portion. USD is a fine choice and one of the easiest to trade.

In countries that don't use a hard currency, you can usually get much better deals than the official exchange rate when you need cash. Just realize those deals are technically illegal. I've done this in a few countries and not had any problems, even in the old USSR with the KGB tailing my tour group!