PP Performance for 2016

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10767
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:40 am

TennPaGa wrote:“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
Similar to my current sig, which I chose with passive investing in mind.
Two out of three Canadians live within about 60 miles of the American border. — NYT
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by Desert » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:44 am

TennPaGa wrote:
Kbg wrote:My apologies if this has been posted in this thread or else where. Fidelity did a study a few years back on their best performing accounts and they found that the best performing accounts had a couple of characteristics. One, The account holder was found to be deceased. Two, the account holder forgot they had the account.
Ran across this relevant quote today...

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
That's a great quote. The entire book is worth reading, for anyone interested in science, philosophy or religion.

By the way, I'm guessing Pascal wouldn't have been thrilled with the advent of smart phones!
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by tennpaga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 am

dualstow wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
Similar to my current sig, which I chose with passive investing in mind.
I prefer the less sophisticated, baseball-related version:

"The sun will rise, the sun will set, and I'll have lunch."
-- Boston Red Sox GM Lou Gorman, reacting to Roger Clemens's holdout in the spring of 1987
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10767
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Awesome. 8)
Two out of three Canadians live within about 60 miles of the American border. — NYT
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by tennpaga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Desert wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:Ran across this relevant quote today...

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
That's a great quote. The entire book is worth reading, for anyone interested in science, philosophy or religion.

By the way, I'm guessing Pascal wouldn't have been thrilled with the advent of smart phones!
I dunno... Looks to me like ol' Blaise is staring into his iPad in the avatar of yours. ;)
* Gresham's Law: Bad behavior drives out good.
* Gresham's corollary: Avoid participating in systems where good behavior cannot win.

https://fs.blog/2009/12/mental-model-greshams-law/
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by barrett » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:33 pm

dualstow wrote:
Similar to my current sig, which I chose with passive investing in mind.
Ha! I thought it was a Chauncey Gardiner quote from the movie Being There!
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by l82start » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm

barrett wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Similar to my current sig, which I chose with passive investing in mind.
Ha! I thought it was a Chauncey Gardiner quote from the movie Being There!
so did i....
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10767
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 pm

O0 You guys are cracking me up! O0
Well, Chauncey had some mastery of zen, even if he was probably unaware of the word.
Two out of three Canadians live within about 60 miles of the American border. — NYT
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by Desert » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:38 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
Desert wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:Ran across this relevant quote today...

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
That's a great quote. The entire book is worth reading, for anyone interested in science, philosophy or religion.

By the way, I'm guessing Pascal wouldn't have been thrilled with the advent of smart phones!
I dunno... Looks to me like ol' Blaise is staring into his iPad in the avatar of yours. ;)
Yeah, you're right! And here I thought his biggest contribution to technology was inventing pressure. :)
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10767
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 pm

pressure ---> touchscreen
Two out of three Canadians live within about 60 miles of the American border. — NYT
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1111
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by dragoncar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Desert wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
Desert wrote:
That's a great quote. The entire book is worth reading, for anyone interested in science, philosophy or religion.

By the way, I'm guessing Pascal wouldn't have been thrilled with the advent of smart phones!
I dunno... Looks to me like ol' Blaise is staring into his iPad in the avatar of yours. ;)
Yeah, you're right! And here I thought his biggest contribution to technology was inventing pressure. :)

No, it was inventing triangles.
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: PP Performance for 2016

Post by tennpaga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Desert wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
Desert wrote:
That's a great quote. The entire book is worth reading, for anyone interested in science, philosophy or religion.

By the way, I'm guessing Pascal wouldn't have been thrilled with the advent of smart phones!
I dunno... Looks to me like ol' Blaise is staring into his iPad in the avatar of yours. ;)
Yeah, you're right! And here I thought his biggest contribution to technology was inventing pressure. :)
Yup.

But, thankfully, he realized that humans need a place where they could go out drinking and talk about investing and make bad puns about unit conversions.

So he cloned himself 99,999 times and invented... wait for it...

The Bar.
* Gresham's Law: Bad behavior drives out good.
* Gresham's corollary: Avoid participating in systems where good behavior cannot win.

https://fs.blog/2009/12/mental-model-greshams-law/
Post Reply