General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

IMPORTANT: PP FORUM *NOT* GOING AWAY

Post by craigr »

Hi All,

Yep, we hit another limit on the server. It is resolved temporarily, but may happen again in the next month.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time now to manage a forum. The forum will be going way at the next billing cycle. I have not been able to discuss with Tex what he wants to do with the forum and maybe he can chime in.

But I'll leave this thread for people to organize a new place for people to go to to discuss these topics. Once the forum goes down, I will setup a redirect to the new location for others to find it.

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year

-- Craig
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: IMPORTANT: PP FORUM GOING AWAY

Post by clacy »

Craig,

Thanks for all your hard work on this site. It definitely served it's purpose and I've enjoyed the forum and learning about the PP.

With that said, it's probably run its course. Obviously it's become mostly an OT and political forum.

I wish all my fellow PP'ers well. Best of luck out there!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

It would be such a shame to let it die! Craig, if you or Tex can send me a database dump, I can host it myself on a VPS. You'd just need to point the gyroscopicinvesting.com domain to a different IP.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I agree that most of the traffic is now OT and political, but I do think the PP portions still have value. You can't discuss gold at Bogleheads without grief.

Craig, thanks for all you have done, and the money you've spent on it. If someone gets a new place up, I hope you drop by now and then. If nothing else, we like to hear about your domiciles.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

I Shrugged wrote:You can't discuss gold at Bogleheads without grief.
Or long duration bonds. Or cash. There are occasionally interesting PP or GB discussions over on MMM, but those too are ever so rare.

I'll add my thanks to those already given. Much appreciated, Craig!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I'm sure Jim (Tex) also did a lot of work here, at least I assume so. So thanks Jim!

I've noticed that the second listed author on a book gets no credit. That kinda sucks.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Yes certainly Mike deserves a ton of credit. We will be working to get in contact and sort this all out.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Oops, I thought he was Jim. :o
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Will you make the data available for download? Some of the threads are certainly worth keeping for posterity
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

What about re-establishing as a sub-reddit? Or two subreddits, one for the investing posts and one for everything else - not sure how to classify it though :-)

It would be a shame to lose the one place on the internet where an investor considering the PP could go and get some opinions other than "my god no, stay away from that".
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Bummer.

Thanks, Craig, not only for hosting this forum for so long but also for being such a great PP advocate over the years. You've had a wonderful influence on my financial life!

I hope the crew can stick together -- whether through a new host, new site, or even just an email list. I really value the virtual relationships we've built here.
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Amen, Tyler!

Thanks for everything, Craig and Tex. Your generosity is is truly appreciated.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

MangoMan wrote:
sophie wrote:What about re-establishing as a sub-reddit? Or two subreddits, one for the investing posts and one for everything else - not sure how to classify it though :-)
Does reddit allow you to filter for 'unread' posts? Once you've been a logged-in member of a forum, that feature is non-negotiable IMHO. I can't remember where I left off otherwise.
Don't think so. It highlights unread posts so you can scan them quickly, but it's not meant for a high-volume forum.
LC475
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LC475 »

Really too bad. I also could host if you like / if needed.

Also, Craig: you never finished the two-part post about your Antarctica trip! Would love to hear how it ended. Ala Scott or Amundsen? You survived, I assume?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Best wishes in all of your adventures Craig. The eclectic crowd you have attracted here is a testament to the strength of your ideas and the diligence of your actions. I hope to run into you again - on the other side of the world.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

My sincere thanks to everyone who has given of their time and talent to keep this forum going. I'm a relative newcomer here, but I've come to think of you all as friends. There's a level of discourse and a civility here that's hard to come by.

It would indeed be a great loss to see the group dissolve. I do hope there's a way of keeping the forum going in one form or another.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

The format of the backup site that Pug referenced looks reasonable.

I have created a Google Group called "Permanent Portfolio Forum" and the link below should ask if you want to apply for membership.

The only obvious thing it seems to be lacking is the ability to have multiple levels of topics, like Gold/Gold Scream Room. Maybe it is something I am missing.

But it is Google, eminently searchable and looks like you can setup new post notifications in many ways.

If anyone wants to try this, please apply and we can give it, or the backup one a go. Either way would be nice to continue.

Mike

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... olio-forum
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Cortopassi wrote:The format of the backup site that Pug referenced looks reasonable.

I have created a Google Group called "Permanent Portfolio Forum" and the link below should ask if you want to apply for membership.

The only obvious thing it seems to be lacking is the ability to have multiple levels of topics, like Gold/Gold Scream Room. Maybe it is something I am missing.

But it is Google, eminently searchable and looks like you can setup new post notifications in many ways.

If anyone wants to try this, please apply and we can give it, or the backup one a go. Either way would be nice to continue.

Mike

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... olio-forum
If it is like Yahoo groups, it probably allows either web or email style of conversation. And each thread is simply a topic within the main group. For lower volume groups, that's not bad. In Yahoo groups, it would be difficult to read several "pages" of an old thread, though. Me, I'll go wherever the rest of you end up.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Thank you for your hard work, Craig and JM. Happy New Year, guys, and everyone on the forum.

So will all these posts vanish? I'd be archiving the best of them, but I'm already busy doing that on another forum.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

All,

I've gotten a bunch of requests to join the Google group, however I am quickly finding out that it is near impossible to tell whether they are real or not unless I notice something familiar. I don't know how fast bots/spammers/etc pick up on a new group being formed and trying to fake join.

If you do apply, please add a note with your user name on the current forum or something that I can use to better filter. Thanks.

PS -- if you are: kevin12345688824@gmail.com, please better identify yourself. All others I was able to figure out.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Also, a Google group will provide less anonymity, right?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

I Shrugged wrote:Also, a Google group will provide less anonymity, right?
I'm not sure of that answer. I am not in any groups where I need to be concerned with that! If I am worried about posting something because it can be taken badly or wrongly, I generally don't post. ;D
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

If Craig doesn't want to host and maintain the forum, would it not be possible to transfer the whole kit & kaboodle to someone who does so that the forum, domain name, etc. all remain the same?

And what is the deadline by which something needs to happen?
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i suspect that that is entirely possible, if there is somebody here who has the time knowledge and resources they should contact craig.. if enough of us want to keep this forum going i see no reason why we cant..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

It would be proper to collect fees for maintenance to keep this forum going. $$$ is voluntary now. How much would dues cost for 1 year?