General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

IMPORTANT: PP FORUM *NOT* GOING AWAY

Post by craigr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi All,

Yep, we hit another limit on the server. It is resolved temporarily, but may happen again in the next month.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time now to manage a forum. The forum will be going way at the next billing cycle. I have not been able to discuss with Tex what he wants to do with the forum and maybe he can chime in.

But I'll leave this thread for people to organize a new place for people to go to to discuss these topics. Once the forum goes down, I will setup a redirect to the new location for others to find it.

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year

-- Craig
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: IMPORTANT: PP FORUM GOING AWAY

Post by pugchief » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:10 pm

This is indeed sad news.

MachineGhost already set up a 'backup' forum that appears to have no limits. Unless someone else has a better idea, the logical thing to do would be to move over there. But it is currently unmoderated, so if that is a problem, perhaps someone can suggest an alternative.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.freeforums.net/
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Craig,

Thanks for all your hard work on this site. It definitely served it's purpose and I've enjoyed the forum and learning about the PP.

With that said, it's probably run its course. Obviously it's become mostly an OT and political forum.

I wish all my fellow PP'ers well. Best of luck out there!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:51 pm

It would be such a shame to let it die! Craig, if you or Tex can send me a database dump, I can host it myself on a VPS. You'd just need to point the gyroscopicinvesting.com domain to a different IP.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

I agree that most of the traffic is now OT and political, but I do think the PP portions still have value. You can't discuss gold at Bogleheads without grief.

Craig, thanks for all you have done, and the money you've spent on it. If someone gets a new place up, I hope you drop by now and then. If nothing else, we like to hear about your domiciles.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:34 pm

I Shrugged wrote:You can't discuss gold at Bogleheads without grief.
Or long duration bonds. Or cash. There are occasionally interesting PP or GB discussions over on MMM, but those too are ever so rare.

I'll add my thanks to those already given. Much appreciated, Craig!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm sure Jim (Tex) also did a lot of work here, at least I assume so. So thanks Jim!

I've noticed that the second listed author on a book gets no credit. That kinda sucks.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Yes certainly Mike deserves a ton of credit. We will be working to get in contact and sort this all out.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Oops, I thought he was Jim. :o
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Will you make the data available for download? Some of the threads are certainly worth keeping for posterity
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:23 am

What about re-establishing as a sub-reddit? Or two subreddits, one for the investing posts and one for everything else - not sure how to classify it though :-)

It would be a shame to lose the one place on the internet where an investor considering the PP could go and get some opinions other than "my god no, stay away from that".
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:11 am

sophie wrote:What about re-establishing as a sub-reddit? Or two subreddits, one for the investing posts and one for everything else - not sure how to classify it though :-)
Does reddit allow you to filter for 'unread' posts? Once you've been a logged-in member of a forum, that feature is non-negotiable IMHO. I can't remember where I left off otherwise.