Trump's Effect on the PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump's Effect on the PP

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:43 am

sophie wrote:The thing that I like the most about the PP is that it reacts to the real market, not the one that pundits think we have. It's quite possible the current increase in bond yields is only a blip. When the yields go up and stay up, then I'll believe that the economic environment is truly changing.
No breakout yet:

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
IDrinkBloodLOL
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:05 am

MachineGhost wrote:Why are you obsessed that those with higher incomes (i.e. job creators and capitalists that do more for the economy than you ever will)
HAHAHAHAHAHA
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 am

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Why are you obsessed that those with higher incomes (i.e. job creators and capitalists that do more for the economy than you ever will)
HAHAHAHAHAHA
???
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:32 am

MachineGhost wrote:
doodle wrote:One strategy that I was surprised that never gained traction here was selling calls and puts as a way to boost returns. It seems like there should be a way devise some sort of algorithm around the rebalancing bands that gives an indication of what level to sell calls and puts. With highly volatile assets that the portfolio holds it seems that a decent return should be able to be generated by this. Am I missing something?
Two things. The rebalancing bands would be so far out of the money there wouldn't be any premium to collect. And the assets are not "highly volatile" -- they're only all about 15% average in the long-term. When you sell insurance all you are doing is taking on the outsized risk of having to payout a claim when there is any kind of Black Swan event. That is not compatible with the PP philosophy.

You could continously short VIX for the essentially the same thing and while you would make double or triple digit returns each year, you would incur high double digit losses during inclemental weather. So in the end selling volatility doesn't offer anything to the PP in terms of risk control, just leverages it up to the wrong direction.
Selling calls with 20-30 delta outperforms buy and hold with lower volatility.

I made a topic about this but nobody seems to pick up on this.
http://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/foru ... f=1&t=8723
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:14 pm

dutchtraffic wrote:I made a topic about this but nobody seems to pick up on this.
There's just nothing to say. It does nothing for risk control and it breaks the risk parity. It's just a Prosperity enhancement like many other possibilities, except its on the higher risk side of the equation.

dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:17 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
dutchtraffic wrote:I made a topic about this but nobody seems to pick up on this.
There's just nothing to say. It does nothing for risk control and it breaks the risk parity. It's just a Prosperity enhancement like many other possibilities, except its on the higher risk side of the equation.
It should lower volatility AND increase returns, we're not talking about writing ATM calls, there is enough upside room left.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:28 pm

dutchtraffic wrote:It should lower volatility AND increase returns, we're not talking about writing ATM calls, there is enough upside room left.
Nonsense. Selling volatility does NOT lower volatility in the long-run. You are making a anti-Black Swan bet. Moreover, a 10% allocation doesn't increase returns: Image

dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:38 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
dutchtraffic wrote:It should lower volatility AND increase returns, we're not talking about writing ATM calls, there is enough upside room left.
Nonsense. Selling volatility does NOT lower volatility in the long-run. You are making a anti-Black Swan bet. Moreover, a 10% allocation doesn't increase returns:
Your graph is selling ATM calls, not OTM, big difference.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:40 pm

OTM has better returns than buy and hold.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:41 pm

dutchtraffic wrote:Your graph is selling ATM calls, not OTM, big difference.
My bad. I was also thinking of naked not covered. However, do note that in your chart the maximum drawdown is MUCH, MUCH larger than the S&P 500.

If the risk/reward is better then I say go for it, otherwise you're just getting a little bit extra return for a lot of extra risk. And keep in mind indexes are bullshit and not investable. Real world frictions are significant in options.

dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:47 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
dutchtraffic wrote:Your graph is selling ATM calls, not OTM, big difference.
My bad. I was also thinking of naked not covered. However, do note that in your chart the maximum drawdown is MUCH, MUCH larger than the S&P 500.

If the risk/reward is better then I say go for it, otherwise you're just getting a little bit extra return for a lot of extra risk. And keep in mind indexes are bullshit and not investable. Real world frictions are significant in options.
The drawdown can never be higher than buy and hold :)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:49 pm

You know, if you had posted this recent study "proving" your assertions in your thread, we could have avoided this squabble:

http://www.cboe.com/micro/buywrite/wils ... -years.pdf

Because this is significant new information.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.