Newbie question

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jeffreyalan

Newbie question

Post by Jeffreyalan »

Hello,

Just setting up the PP for my family savings. Does everyone here use mostly individual long term bonds or TLT? Just wondering.

thanks!

Jeffrey
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Newbie question

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!

I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally use TLT.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

I use TLT. A big point for the PP that attracted me was simplicity. TLT makes it easier than buying individual bonds.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

One good strategy can be individual bonds for your "deep bonds" (those which you don't expect to touch for a long time), and TLT for your "shallow bonds", those you might need to sell for rebalancing or for withdrawals or something.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones »

Buying individual bonds is fun (to me), and it'll save you some money.

If you're the tinkering type, buying individual bonds might satisfy some of your tinkering urge, keeping you from tinkering in detrimental ways.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Buy the individual bonds. It's really no harder than buying CDs. I would not want 25% of my retirement money sunk into a single fund with possibly creative things going on behind closed doors.

You could buy them in lots of, say, $10K, then buy TLT with the remainder of the bond allocation.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I buy the individual bonds.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i started out with TLT since bond purchases were complicated at the time, they involved difficult to manage accounts with treasury direct, it wasn't "the ideal" but it was plenty good enough.... when vanguard and others simplified the process i switched over to the more ideal, mostly individual bonds with a little TLT left over for rebalancing... buying individual bonds is now easier than setting up my spreadsheet to track them was ;)
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Jay-UMN

Post by Jay-UMN »

I have a mix of the two. TLT in my Roth (relatively small total roth account value). Taxable account has mostly individual bonds with a small amount of TLT for rebalancing if needed.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

I use individual bonds, but check your trading platform/brokerage and see how they plan to make money off the trade. For example, I bought some using TD Ameritrade and it when I went to sell I got so-called "bids" that were 5% below the expected value. Wouldn't want to do a lot of trading at the cost, but really I don't rebalance that often
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

TLT is simple and easy to buy/sell, just like GLD or IAU.
As you become more comfortable with the allocation, you can explore other options to holding assets directly.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

You can buy both individual Treasury bonds and TLT commission-free at Fidelity.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I used to use TLT, and now I find it convenient to buy individual bonds at Vanguard or Fidelity, and nearly always at auction.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

What is everyone NOW doing? TLT or buying the individual bonds? Also, curious if any of the original responders are now doing the opposite.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Jay-UMN

Post by Jay-UMN »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 pm What is everyone NOW doing? TLT or buying the individual bonds? Also, curious if any of the original responders are now doing the opposite.

Vinny
Roth: I still have TLT (smaller ROTH account)
Taxable: Individual Bonds and TLT - about 50/50 currently.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Individual Bonds in Vanguard.
TLT in my IRA
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

TLT
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

I started out 100% in TLT when I switched to the HBPP in 2013. It is the simplest way to begin.

After about a year in TLT, I switched to individual 30 year T-bonds, which are easy to purchase on the secondary market through a Fidelity brokerage account. Unlike ETFs and mutual funds, there are no commissions or fees to trade bonds at Fidelity. However, investors should understand that Fidelity makes its money in the bid/ask spread. Holding individual bonds removes manager risk and gives maximum flexibility to the investor.

Note that tax placement can be just as important because T-bonds throw off a constant stream of taxable interest, regardless of whether you own a bond, a fund, or an ETF. I do not hold any T-bonds in taxable accounts (including TreasuryDirect). All of my holdings are currently either in a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jhogue wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 am I started out 100% in TLT when I switched to the HBPP in 2013. It is the simplest way to begin.

After about a year in TLT, I switched to individual 30 year T-bonds, which are easy to purchase on the secondary market through a Fidelity brokerage account. Unlike ETFs and mutual funds, there are no commissions or fees to trade bonds at Fidelity. However, investors should understand that Fidelity makes its money in the bid/ask spread. Holding individual bonds removes manager risk and gives maximum flexibility to the investor.

Note that tax placement can be just as important because T-bonds throw off a constant stream of taxable interest, regardless of whether you own a bond, a fund, or an ETF. I do not hold any T-bonds in taxable accounts (including TreasuryDirect). All of my holdings are currently either in a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.
Which now explains the appeal of I-Bonds to you. Because they have NO constant stream of taxable interest (only taxed upon their maturity date or when you sell them?), which then allows you to hold these in taxable accounts (including TreasuryDirect)?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Tax deferral is one of the appeals of I-bonds to me, but certainly not the only one. I think they are the most versatile form of Deep Cash for retail investors-- a sort of financial Swiss Army knife. I keep some I-bonds in a Treasury Direct account and some in paper I-bonds in my local bank safe deposit box.

They have-
- No principal risk.
- No interest rate risk.
-No call risk.
-No inflation risk.
-No deflation risk.
- No fees or commissions.
-No state or local taxes.
- Less principal risk than FDIC - insured CDs.
Last edited by jhogue on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jhogue wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm Tax deferral is one of the appeals of I-bonds to me, but certainly not the only one. I think they are the most versatile form of Deep Cash for retail investors-- a sort of financial Swiss Army knife.

They have-
- No principal risk.
- No interest rate risk.
-No call risk.
-No inflation risk.
-No deflation risk.
- No fees or commissions.
-No state or local taxes.
- Less principal risk than FDIC - insured CDs.
Under your (and others' (but probably mostly yours)) I'll probably now every year be buying my $15,000 limit of them.

Vinny
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa »

EU citizen here. I hold individual (German) bonds.

It is a bit more of a hassle, but it has tax advantages for me: the dividend from an ETF is taxed with dividend tax, and dividend from an actual bond is not.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

senecaaa wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:00 am EU citizen here. I hold individual (German) bonds.

It is a bit more of a hassle, but it has tax advantages for me: the dividend from an ETF is taxed with dividend tax, and dividend from an actual bond is not.

Wow, that’s a nice tax code twist.