Is The Big Crash Coming?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is The Big Crash Coming?

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm

A crash? Give me a break you Chicken Littles.

A crash is when you lose almost 30% in a day aka October 19 ,1987.

That's probably gonna happen if Trump wins the election.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:This brings up an interesting point: how can we know what the value of cash is doing?
It's all subjective, right? I suppose you could look at DXY in relation to the times you add cash to your account and do a delta to see if it is "up" or "down" but that doesn't change the number of dollars.

Or compare to a basket of items you normally buy during the year, food, household items, dining, etc?

Too much trouble. I wish it could just sit in a 5% money market!

Is the PP becoming a basket of deplorables?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 pm

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:
wolfgango wrote:When the 3 non cash assets drop I see the cash portion carrying or greatly mitigating the drop. In relation to the others cash is up so to speak.
This brings up an interesting point: how can we know what the value of cash is doing?
I thought you were a troll? But you can use this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EUSDOLLAR?ltr=1

It is an equal weighted basket of four currencies: AUD, JPY, GBP and EUR.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 pm

The anxiety is most likely attributed to all 3 non-cash assets declining in unison. They did all go up in lockstep too.
IDrinkBloodLOL

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:29 am

MachineGhost wrote: I thought you were a troll? But you can use this:
Thanks, good find.

While we're asking questions, why do all normal people think everyone with different opinions is a "troll?" People post cute pictures about the importance of respecting different opinions, and american libertarian types say things like "I may not like what you say but I'd die to defend your right to say it," but it's obviously just lip service, they will treat you like garbage for your crime of saying something they don't believe, and these are the "freedom of opinion" people. As a society, why do we even pretend anymore? Why not just openly say "conform or get out?" It would sound uglier but be more honest, since that's how people really behave.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:49 am

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: I thought you were a troll? But you can use this:
Thanks, good find.

While we're asking questions, why do all normal people think everyone with different opinions is a "troll?" People post cute pictures about the importance of respecting different opinions, and american libertarian types say things like "I may not like what you say but I'd die to defend your right to say it," but it's obviously just lip service, they will treat you like garbage for your crime of saying something they don't believe, and these are the "freedom of opinion" people. As a society, why do we even pretend anymore? Why not just openly say "conform or get out?" It would sound uglier but be more honest, since that's how people really behave.
its not the different opinion that makes somebody a troll its the method of delivery and the purpose behind it, if you throw out some unconventional and inflammatory idea (that you may or may not believe) with the intent of getting a rise out of readers, with no intention of defending the idea only doing it to cause a reaction.... you are TROLLING..

if you believe something weird or unconventional, make your case in a non inflammatory way, and step up to defend it when a rational debate ensues. if you cant do that you will be called out for trolling.. and rightly so...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
IDrinkBloodLOL

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:13 am

l82start wrote: if you believe something weird or unconventional, make your case in a non inflammatory way, and step up to defend it when a rational debate ensues. if you cant do that you will be called out for trolling.. and rightly so...
Debate doesn't ensue because things happen the reverse from what you said.

You proposed that somebody trolls, so they are avoided.

The more common reality is somebody is avoided, so they are declared a troll, then the primary reason for their being avoided is never considered.

It's not unlike defining physical assault as "beating someone until they fall down," then having people fall down and scream "NO!!! STOP ASSAULTING ME!" when an unpopular person merely shakes their hand, regardless of the cause of their unpopularity.

Most places online aren't full of "trolls" running from debates, it's "trolls" saying "hey let's discuss this topic" and nobody touching it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 am

Blood drinker, I don't think you're a troll, but you have some Alt-Right ideas that you must know are going to get some people riled up.
It's not merely a difference of opinion when you say Africans are bound to fail because they're Africans. It's racism, pure and simple.
Now you're obviously entitled to that opinion, and in many outlets you're even entitled to voice that opinion (at the discretion of a site's owner of course), but it's a bit naive to think there will be no pushback.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
IDrinkBloodLOL

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

dualstow wrote:Blood drinker, I don't think you're a troll, but you have some Alt-Right ideas that you must know are going to get some people riled up.
It's not merely a difference of opinion when you say Africans are bound to fail because they're Africans. It's racism, pure and simple.
Now you're obviously entitled to that opinion, and in many outlets you're even entitled to voice that opinion (at the discretion of a site's owner of course), but it's a bit naive to think there will be no pushback.
Noted. Just FYI, there were nordicists long before there were Nazis, much less before there was any "alt right."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 am

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:Noted. Just FYI, there were nordicists long before there were Nazis, much less before there was any "alt right."
Yeah, I probably could have picked a better term than Alt Right. Is nordicist the term you prefer?
IDrinkBloodLOL

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 am

dualstow wrote:Yeah, I probably could have picked a better term than Alt Right. Is nordicist the term you prefer?
Yeah, generally.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:45 pm

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote:
l82start wrote: if you believe something weird or unconventional, make your case in a non inflammatory way, and step up to defend it when a rational debate ensues. if you cant do that you will be called out for trolling.. and rightly so...
Debate doesn't ensue because things happen the reverse from what you said.

You proposed that somebody trolls, so they are avoided.

The more common reality is somebody is avoided, so they are declared a troll, then the primary reason for their being avoided is never considered.

It's not unlike defining physical assault as "beating someone until they fall down," then having people fall down and scream "NO!!! STOP ASSAULTING ME!" when an unpopular person merely shakes their hand, regardless of the cause of their unpopularity.

Most places online aren't full of "trolls" running from debates, it's "trolls" saying "hey let's discuss this topic" and nobody touching it.

trolls don't run from debate they don't debate at all... their goal isn't reason, its getting a reaction, preferably a negative or angry one.. if nobody wants to touch your topic, or mistakes you for a troll, it is due to poor delivery and suspect motive, it doesn't matter if you are looking to cause anger fan flames and create conflict or you just don't have the forum posting skills to broach a subject in a way that avoids those things, the reaction you get will be the same.. (being called out for trolling)

there are some touchy topics that will inherently get a "your a troll" reaction from the oversensitive and easily upset type, but most of the people here are not that sensitive and have been on the Internet long enough to recognize when somebody is trying to stir up shit, or to recognize that someone is just plain incapable of communicating in a way that avoids it...

you may also have noticed that in-spite of some of your comments being indistinguishable from trolling, and your having been called out on them by forum members, nobody freaked out, or got angry, and you haven't been banned or warned, and some intelligent commentary and discussion of your comments/topics were made..

if somebody is truly trolling this forum the ban hammer will be dropped without hesitation by myself or the other mod/admins....
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:45 pm

So staitng one's opinion without having the inclination to defend it to those who are incalcitrant is considered trolling? Good to know!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:38 pm

The thread drift is amazing
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Reub wrote:So staitng one's opinion without having the inclination to defend it to those who are incalcitrant is considered trolling? Good to know!
Opinions are worthless. Like assholes.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Reub wrote:So staitng one's opinion without having the inclination to defend it to those who are incalcitrant is considered trolling? Good to know!
Um, I don't think that's how the saying goes. ??? :D
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:18 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Now I know you're really full of sh*t!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:50 pm

An opinion is a belief backed up by bullshit.

I try to rarely have any opnions about anything. Read my signature.

IDrinkBloodLOL

Post by IDrinkBloodLOL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Based on realistic observation of what people call trolling, I'd say the real definition of trolling is "saying things people don't like."

This place is more forgiving than most, but you go on most forums and post an opinion not airable on nightly news segments and you are immediately accused of "trolling," then if you attempt to defend your ideas you're punished for "repeated trolling."

The only common denominator is that normal, media watching, alcohol & fast food consuming, social media posting, tablet using people do not like it. Like I said, this place is better than most, but what I described has been the internet status quo since roughly 2005.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:10 pm

MachineGhost wrote:I try to rarely have any opnions about anything.
What!? You have an opinion about EVERYTHING. Usually at least one. Often contradictory.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:46 pm

MachineGhost has facts. Only facts. If you disagree then that's an opinion. That's a fact!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Here's a fact: many, many people do not get my sarcasm.

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:26 am

MachineGhost wrote:Here's a fact: many, many people do not get my sarcasm.
Sarcasm is just a way to cover your a$$ if you are wrong.
Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:59 am

MachineGhost wrote:A crash? Give me a break you Chicken Littles.

A crash is when you lose almost 30% in a day aka October 19 ,1987.

That's probably gonna happen if Trump wins the election.
That I remember; I started investing on October 12, 1987 with $ 10.000,- gift from my mother. I lost $ 3000 that day and i phoned my mother. She said: Good, you first lesson!. Now I own a muliplier of 70, so it was a good lesson.