Forget Vanguard's Index Funds

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Forget Vanguard's Index Funds

Post by MachineGhost »

KIPLINGER’S: Why a newsletter only about Vanguard funds?

WIENER: In the early years, there was no such thing as a mutual fund supermarket. So you were either a Fidelity investor or a T. Rowe Price investor or a Vanguard investor or an investor with another firm. I had begun to invest money for my kids at Vanguard because I felt it offered funds run by some managers I wanted to put my money with. Vanguard had the Primecap Management guys running Vanguard Primecap (symbol VPMCX), which is now closed to new investors. It had a team from Wellington Management running Vanguard Health Care (VGHCX). Jim Barrow was running Vanguard Windsor II (VWNFX)—without a lot of the managers who have been added since, mucking up his perform­ance. So you had really good managers running some excellent funds.

Does Vanguard shortchange its active managers? Yes. How many times do you hear Vanguard say, “We have these great active managers”? Ed Owens, the longtime manager of Health Care, who retired in 2012, had probably the single best track record in the entire industry. And Vanguard barely mentioned his name. Meanwhile, look up the “select” funds on Vanguard’s Web site. This really gets me. It says, “Build your portfolio with a few of our well-established, broadly diversified low-cost funds, selected by our Port­folio Review Department.” Vanguard selects three index funds and three actively managed funds: Explorer, Morgan Growth and Windsor II. C’mon, guys. That’s just embarrassing.

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/invest ... funds.html
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forget Vanguard's Index Funds

Post by dualstow »

I've left coffee, cigarettes, sriracha, and some cash at the Shrine of Machine Ghost, but so far no sightings.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forget Vanguard's Index Funds

Post by dualstow »

hahaha!