General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Brexit Schmexit

Post by Cortopassi »

The news cycle for important world changing events gets shorter and shorter. Not even a week and the US markets have recovered seemingly everything. FTSE has more than recovered. Only thing that hasn't is the pound.

This seems to be continuing bizzaro world where everything goes up, dollar, gold, bonds, stocks. Amazing.

People who have been forecasting doom for years have got to have little hair left at this point.

Even ISIS bombings and shootings only seem to make the news for short periods. Turkey is already off the main headlines on Google.

Crazy.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Brexit Schmexit

Post by buddtholomew »

I was thinking the same thing this morning.
Nothing can disturb the wealth effect...
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

If we can have a Brexit every week I won't have to win the lottery. Biggest one week gains I've ever seen.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Just because it is in the news doesn't mean it is important. Generally "news" events just have to be sensational...to sell news. If one steps back just a bit on the two mentioned examples, think about it.

Brexit: Will the UK really stop trading goods and services with the rest of the world or Europe? About 30 seconds of serious thought will resolve that question.

Small scale ISIS terrorist attacks: If 40ish Turks and 200ish French get killed, what is the actual global impact of that? Cruelly, other than to their loved ones, zero.

A little study of market history indicates very strongly that "news" events have no enduring impact on financial markets. The only exceptions are if the news is actually related to substantive enduring negative economic impacts. Admittedly, figuring the latter out is not all that easy. Even the "experts" can rarely figure such things out.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I have been very amused by all of the knee jerk reaction to the Brexit vote. Everyone has an opinion. Yet two weeks ago not one person in fifty could have told us what Brexit was. Now we have celebrities wailing about it. Funny stuff.
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

The Brexit affair, and the news coverage and market responses to it, are a good case study for a lot of Harry Browne's ideas.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

All I know about Brexit....

Go figure!
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

MangoMan wrote:Curlew,
What is that a chart of? You cropped off the legend.
presumably his portfolio. looks similar to mine

Curlew, ever notice an effect in google finance that makes it seem like you are making new highs when you know you really aren't? For example, one day will close at 100 for me, and then the next day it goes down to 95, then back up to 99. But on the graph, the day that closed at 100 now shows 97 or something like that. Is google correcting for dividends/inflation or is it a bug?