NEW FORUM HOST

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NEW FORUM HOST

Post by l82start »

MachineGhost wrote:Hey craig, could you fix this? It's shorter than the old forum nor can I put in the size code.

i upped it to 375...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

l82start wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Hey craig, could you fix this? It's shorter than the old forum nor can I put in the size code.

i upped it to 375...
I put it at 400.

I originally lowered it so we wouldn't see a novella in people's signatures. Images and links are also prohibited. I can't stand images in signatures.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

There is an unread posts menu option available for selection from the top taskbar - 3 horizontal lines, one below the other.
It includes unanswered posts and your personal posts as well, among a few others.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Where do I go to check for PMs?

Thanks.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

bedraggled wrote:Where do I go to check for PMs?
The envelope icon in the upper right/in the toolbar
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

The domain name was formally transferred to the new host. The domain name gyroscopicinvesting.com should be working now. If you notice a problem after tomorrow, please let me know. It may take up to 24 hours for DNS propagation to reach everywhere.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

MangoMan wrote:wtf?
I changed the posting interval from 60 seconds to 30 seconds.

It's just to keep the bots from flooding the forum with posts when they breach the perimeter.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
MangoMan wrote:wtf?
I changed the posting interval from 60 seconds to 30 seconds.

It's just to keep the bots from flooding the forum with posts when they breach the perimeter.
Thanks, MT.

Also found another bug. When using the "angry" smily emoticon, it does not generate the proper graphic in the post. >:(
Sometimes I wish would could go back to SMF. :( It just worked. Although I really did hate having to put size into the image bbcode. Another annoyance with phpBB is you can't put the URL into the quote bbcode.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

We aren't going back! It took me 2+ days to rebuild everything from SMF's last crash. I don't blame SMF, it was the old hosting provider that was a large part of the problem. But I had problems with SMF in the past (especially with plug-ins and upgrades) and just wanted to do something new that had wider support and better extension management.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

PMs.

How do I delete many PMs at one time?

I only understand the one-at-a-time approach.

I would like to clean up my message area.

Hopefully the answer is easy, like in "Days Gone Bye"
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

craigr wrote:We aren't going back! It took me 2+ days to rebuild everything from SMF's last crash. I don't blame SMF, it was the old hosting provider that was a large part of the problem. But I had problems with SMF in the past (especially with plug-ins and upgrades) and just wanted to do something new that had wider support and better extension management.
Craig, we really appreciate all your efforts on this. Of course with any transition there will be a few problems, and a few things that work better or worse than before. Thanks for keeping the lights on here.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Tenn,

Thanks. First attempt, a full page, worked.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Tenn & Co.,

PM deletions worked. Thanks.

Is it possible to raise PM allowance to a limit at 100?

I could use a tutorial on saving great PMs I lost a bunch of good ones to author deletions.

Saving/transferring would be great. How?

Thanks.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Still waiting for an RSS plugin...
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Yes there was an error at the DNS registrar that caused it to go inactive. I have fixed it and now it will propagate again. Hopefully this will be the last of the issues transferring everything.
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

MangoMan wrote:Still not propagating....
Definitely odd. These usually propagate almost instantly when making a DNS change. But perhaps this issue is more complex.

Either way, it looks like the technical curse plaguing this place jumped from the host to the registrar. It's uncanny.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

The registrar shows suspended domain again. I'm trying to resolve it one more time. The DNS team at the hosting provider is now involved. It's very frustrating, but it is being fixed.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

craigr wrote:The registrar shows suspended domain again. I'm trying to resolve it one more time. The DNS team at the hosting provider is now involved. It's very frustrating, but it is being fixed.
Maybe time to switch to a new registrar as well?