How Many Of You Have Multiple Brokerage Accounts?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

How Many Of You Have Multiple Brokerage Accounts?

Post by Coffee »

I'm not sure how to set up a poll with this forum software?

How many brokerage accounts do you have?
I'm currently just with Schwab, but I'm considering opening an account with Vanguard, too.

- Adam
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Many Of You Have Multiple Brokerage Accounts?

Post by Pkg Man »

Coffee wrote: I'm not sure how to set up a poll with this forum software?

How many brokerage accounts do you have?
I'm currently just with Schwab, but I'm considering opening an account with Vanguard, too.

- Adam
Scottrade plus a seperate brokerage in my 401K, with most stock in the first and all the LT bonds in the latter.  I would like to diversify that a bit.
"Machines are gonna fail...and the system's gonna fail"
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

My first impulse is to hold everything at Vanguard.  I think they're beyond reproach yet still I wouldn't want more than, I dunno, 2/3 my assets at any one institution.  Currently my employer's retirement plan makes this a moot point.  I plan on putting roughly 1/3 somewhere else when I retire.  If I had to pick today I'd go with Schwab, or maybe Ameritrade or Fidelity.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Born into a Vanguard taxable account. My IRAs are there, too.
I have a 401(k) at Fidelity because when I went to set mine up, Vanguard was not yet offering a solo 401(k). They do now, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I like both companies but Vanguard is the greatest, in my opinion.
🍍
cabronjames

Post by cabronjames »

my IRA is 100% at Vanguard.

I like Vanguard "client-owned" "non-profit" model.

It would be great if there were 1-3 similar org model, so those of us that like Vanguard, could more comfortably do "custodian diversification".

TIAA-CREF is a similar org model, but IIRC their fund expense ratio sucked compared to Vanguard.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Between my wife and I (I manage all the investing for both of our assets), we have accounts at TDameritrade, Scottrade (x2), and another firm too small to mention. 

My wife will soon be opening a Roth IRA account at Vanguard.

It is sort of a pain having your assets spread out between multiple accounts, but you do have some built in diversification that way.  Also, certain brokerage have various +'s and -'s.  TD and Vanguard (brokerage) have free ETF trades.  Scottrade has free mutual fund trades, plus will be rolling out their own ETF's soon. 
BRESLOW
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by BRESLOW »

Have about 35% with Fidelity most of that is in an ira. Balance is with Vanguard.  The IRA is about 25% of assets and balance in taxable accounts.  Have 2 PRPFX accounts, one in the IRA and the other direct with PRPFX. Also have 2 DIY 4x25 accounts, one as part of IRA other in taxable account. Hope this helps.
Liz L.

Post by Liz L. »

We have three: the BrokerageLink part of the Fidelity 401K, Vanguard for the Roth IRAs, and Interactive Brokers for the non-retirement funds.
EM2

Post by EM2 »

I have two: TD Ameritrade and Vanguard.  One-third--most of my tax-sheltered money--is in TDA but I'm thinking of changing that.  Don't know why I don't like that company exactly. Maybe it's that I've found their customer service unhelpful and condescending, makes it uncomfortable for a relatively naive investor like myself to pick up the phone and ask a question.  Would like not to put everything into Vanguard, however.  Thinking about Fidelity for some things.
longeyes

Post by longeyes »

Consolidated all of my IRA monies in one place (Fidelity) but have three other accounts, one of which (E-Trade) I use for my VP.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

I have accounts at Vanguard and Fidelity. But, I am thinking of moving two IRAs over to Fidelity because Vanguard charges way too much to trade Treasury Bonds — Fidelity has zero commissions for Treasuries.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I have a 401(k) brokerage account through Schwab and two brokerage accounts through Vanguard--one taxable and one for my IRA.  Very pleased with Vanguard because of their rock-bottom expense ratios, low portfolio turnover, and client-owned business model.
Drewskers

Post by Drewskers »

TIAA-CREF (by inheritance) and Vanguard

TIAA-CREF is nothing like Vanguard, customer service is outrageous, fund choices are low, expenses are high, but they have the TIAA Traditional Annuity that yields a guaranteed 3%, hard to beat for the cash portfolio! As soon as that ceases to be attractive, I will move that account to Vanguard.