Permanent portfolio accumulation and capital addition

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent portfolio accumulation and capital addition

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:50 am

sophie wrote: Talked about it yes, but didn't backtest.  If somebody wants to do it that would be great, but I didn't want to invest the time because I think the method is too complicated and thus unsustainable.  It's so much easier to just divide by 4, or alternate asset purchases like PointedStick does.
Thanks for reminding me about this, Sophie! I'd completely forgotten about this and had drifted into buying the lagging asset. I think maybe I'll return to my former approach. I've also been considering moving to Vanguard and setting it up so that new contributions are automatically split four ways, which is really easy to do with their platform (well, not for gold, but the gold quadrant contributions would go into a cash bucket used to purchase coins on a schedule).
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:33 am

I personally always buy the lagging asset. Avoiding unnecessary capital gains taxes from rebalancing makes up for any theoretical small returns disadvantage that may imply. Or at least that makes most sense for my own situation.

IMHO, the best contribution method is the one that makes you most comfortable contributing. The only bad choice is one that causes you enough stress that you keep your money on the sidelines.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Thanks for reminding me about this, Sophie! I'd completely forgotten about this and had drifted into buying the lagging asset. I think maybe I'll return to my former approach. I've also been considering moving to Vanguard and setting it up so that new contributions are automatically split four ways, which is really easy to do with their platform (well, not for gold, but the gold quadrant contributions would go into a cash bucket used to purchase coins on a schedule).
Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I think maybe I'll return to my former approach.
Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?
He used to buy gold one month (or whatever time period), and then stocks the next, then bonds, etc. One asset at a time, but rotated regularly so that every asset gets a turn, independent of the performance of the pp or any asset.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:41 pm

dualstow wrote: He used to buy gold one month (or whatever time period), and then stocks the next, then bonds, etc. One asset at a time, but rotated regularly so that every asset gets a turn, independent of the performance of the pp or any asset.
That seems pretty open to abuse.  Why buy what is going down each month and just keep plowing into what is going up?  Heck, I did that with gold until recently.  Smart or abuse?  You decide.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:54 pm

I decided. It's smart. Buying the lagging asset is not all it's cracked up to be.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 am

Pointedstick wrote:
sophie wrote: Talked about it yes, but didn't backtest.  If somebody wants to do it that would be great, but I didn't want to invest the time because I think the method is too complicated and thus unsustainable.  It's so much easier to just divide by 4, or alternate asset purchases like PointedStick does.
Thanks for reminding me about this, Sophie! I'd completely forgotten about this and had drifted into buying the lagging asset. I think maybe I'll return to my former approach. I've also been considering moving to Vanguard and setting it up so that new contributions are automatically split four ways, which is really easy to do with their platform (well, not for gold, but the gold quadrant contributions would go into a cash bucket used to purchase coins on a schedule).
So you're still in the PP, Pointed??  That was a topic of conversation at yesterday's meetup!  And you still have different PPs for each account?  It does make things simpler.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:00 am

I have a vanilla PP in one account and a modified Golden Butterfly portfolio in another (modification = high-rated corporate/treasury bond fund (BLV) instead of 100% treasuries). So far I'm very happy with both this year. :)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:21 am

PS,

Does that modified GB look like this:  20% LCB, 20% SCV, 40% BLV, 20% gold?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:34 am

Exactly.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:33 pm

I like it.  I imagine it will be a bit more volatile than the PP, but with greater reward in the long run.

I'm doing something similar in my 401k, because it has a cheap bond index fund available, plus I feel stupid having a big chunk of cash in a long-term vehicle when I'm nowhere near retirement.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I have a vanilla PP in one account and a modified Golden Butterfly portfolio in another (modification = high-rated corporate/treasury bond fund (BLV) instead of 100% treasuries). So far I'm very happy with both this year. :)
Now, what could possibly be the rationale for exposing yourself to credit default risk in lieu of no default risk?  I'm all eyes.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:44 am

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I have a vanilla PP in one account and a modified Golden Butterfly portfolio in another (modification = high-rated corporate/treasury bond fund (BLV) instead of 100% treasuries). So far I'm very happy with both this year. :)
Now, what could possibly be the rationale for exposing yourself to credit default risk in lieu of no default risk?  I'm all eyes.
Money you can afford to lose?
I have tons of corp bonds (VCIT) in my Vp.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:55 am

Higher coupon payments, hedge against Ted Cruz becoming president and defaulting on treasuries. ;)
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Higher coupon payments, hedge against Ted Cruz becoming president and defaulting on treasuries. ;)
I'm sure your corporate bonds will be perfectly safe if the US Treasury defaults!  :P
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 am

PS, seriously, how did you decide to substitute BLV?

I never understood the point of corporate bond funds.  I remember looking into their performance vs Treasuries when I was researching the PP, and found that they correlated very well with the stock market, just had less extreme swings and (correspondingly) lower returns.  I didn't simulate it but it looked like you can get the same effect by combining stocks with cash.  I don't see them as a substitute for Treasuries, unless you are betting that Treasury rates won't go down much further and you're reaching for yield.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 am

BLV and TLT move very similarly. BLV also has a lot of treasuries in it anyway. In the end I wanted a bit more institutional diversification beyond just U.S. government securities for my long-term bonds, and the higher yield doesn't hurt, either. I'm happy with it in my modified GB portfolio, and I still use pure treasuries in my PP.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:09 pm

sophie wrote: I never understood the point of corporate bond funds.  I remember looking into their performance vs Treasuries when I was researching the PP, and found that they correlated very well with the stock market, just had less extreme swings and (correspondingly) lower returns.  I didn't simulate it but it looked like you can get the same effect by combining stocks with cash.  I don't see them as a substitute for Treasuries, unless you are betting that Treasury rates won't go down much further and you're reaching for yield.
I'm sure he's thinking back to the Great Depression where triple AAA's benefited from the collapse in government confidence (it was a systemic collapse worldwide).  Last time I did research into this, I couldn't find any "clean" bonds funds that were worthwhile, but maybe BLV has changed the game.  I wasn't impressed with Wellesley or Wellington -- way too much risky "pollution" from stocks.

BLV: So 41.76% into Treasuries and 45.57% into corporates.  However, lower credit quality is substantial in one notch above junk status at 27.38% and two notices above junk at 23.1%%.  There's also 22.95% exposure to non-USA countries, including rinky dink republics like Mexico or South Africa.

Verdict: Not a good partial replacement for any of the PP's T-Bonds.  There's only two AAA-rated corporations left, so its a bad problem to have.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:08 pm

And then there was one.  Exxon just lost its Triple A status it had for 86 consecutive years.  Next up is a dividend cut?  That would kill a lot of widows and orphans.

EDIT: My bad.  There's now two left... Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson.

[quote=Wall Street Journal]In downgrading Exxon by one notch to double-A-plus, S&P cited the company's rising debt level and said dividend payments and share repurchases "substantially exceeded" internally generated cash flow.[/quote]

P.S.  Exxon raised the dividend on the news.  Sheer lunacy.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

distefam

Post by distefam » Sun May 27, 2018 8:49 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:30 pm
Also, in case your PP is spread across multiple types of accounts:  I treat additions to retirement accounts differently than taxable additions.  For retirement accounts, I split new money into the three volatile (non-cash) assets equally.  Taxable additions either go into cash or physical gold.  When I hit my limit of taxable cash, I'll switch and start putting cash into retirement accounts (particularly tax-deferred), and gold and stocks in taxable.
Reviving an old thread here because I really like Sophie's advice quoted above but have a few questions on how to apply it in my circumstances.

I just started a new job where I'll be maxing out my 401k each year. The offerings are actually not all that bad—I can get everything except Gold, where there is virtually no option. For reference (Golden Butterfly):
  • VFIAX -- Large Cap Blend
  • VSIAX -- Small Cap Value
  • VLGSX -- Long-Term Treasuries
  • VSGDX or Cash with a 0.55% APY -- Cash -- can't decide on which is better. Thoughts?
I also have an IRA, Roth IRA, and Taxable account, all with Schwab so I've got flexibility outside of the 401k, which I'm thinking could help. Currently, I have all of my gold in the taxable account.

Right now, I'll be adding funds primarily to my 401k and I'm not sure how to spread the money when trying to achieve the balance Sophie mentioned above. I'd really like to keep it at 20% for each asset class and be done with it but the 401k doesn't have Gold.

So, here's my preliminary thought: (though it is a bit complicated and I'd love to hear what others do in similar scenarios)

- Have paychecks split automatically between non-gold assets (25% each for LCB, SCV, LTB, Cash).
- Sell enough of each of the above assets in my IRA (Schwab) to buy Gold in the IRA such that each asset had the same added amount.

For example, say I have a $1000 paycheck. $250 would go into each of the non-gold assets in the IRA. I would then sell $50 of each of those assets in the IRA and purchase $200 of Gold. So, I'd be left with each asset having increased by $200.

The math certainly works (unless I'm missing something) but it is complicated. Any other suggestions? I'm not at all wedded to having those specific assets in the 401k either and am open to suggestions about some other mix that would make more sense.

One final alternative that I thought of is to have the same setup as above in which the auto-deposit goes into my 401k split evenly between non-gold assets ($250 each using the example above) and then purchase $250 of gold in my taxable account. I'd have to see if this fits in my budget first but it's definitely the easier of the two approaches I could think of.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Nice trip down memory lane! It's good to see these old threads revived. And reminds me how much I miss PointedStick.

Anyway distefam...there are lots of threads on your specific problem, which many of us have wrestled with. I think the answer depends on what proportion of your savings is in that gold-free 401K. You'll be OK if it's less than 60% (stocks + bonds). Buy physical gold or equivalent in taxable, and use some gold ETFs in one of those other tax-advantaged accounts.

This is what a few of us were doing until 2013, when we needed to rebalance into gold. That was impossible for many of us, so I (among others) gave up trying to run a PP with such an account. I went with a standard Boglehead portfolio instead. It will get rolled into the PP eventually.
distefam

Post by distefam » Mon May 28, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you for the reply, Sophie. I'm fortunate in that the majority of my money is outside of the 401k, which shouldn't make rebalancing, even in circumstances where I need to get into all but the most significant gold hold holdings, difficult. And, most of those are in tax-deferred accounts so selling frequently in them won't be a problem.

I think what I'll do for the time being is have the 401k split between the non-gold assets, and then I'll purchase once per month gold in my taxable account for the same amount. In months where I cannot afford to do that I'll make some trades to the effect I mentioned in my last post in my tax-deferred non-401k account so that Gold was purchased in equal percentage as the other asset classes.

Now, I just have to email the 401k administrator and see how dividends are reinvested and how rebalancing in general is handled. The plan (Guideline 401k) only allows me to set percentages for each asset class and I suspect that each addition will try to balance them as much as possible but we'll see.