Beware of bad data sources

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Beware of bad data sources

Post by ochotona »

I just found out that the prices for ETF SCHX seen on Stockcharts.com and Yahoo! Finance do not match! And they don't match by large amount. Beware! I have given up on both, and have gone back to Schwab.com for data and charting, because SCHX is a Schwab ETF. It's a pain to log in, but damage from a data error must be avoided.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Beware of bad data sources

Post by rickb »

ochotona wrote: I just found out that the prices for ETF SCHX seen on Stockcharts.com and Yahoo! Finance do not match! And they don't match by large amount. Beware! I have given up on both, and have gone back to Schwab.com for data and charting, because SCHX is a Schwab ETF. It's a pain to log in, but damage from a data error must be avoided.
Raw price data or historical charts?  The perf charts at Stockcharts include dividends and although I don't know I'd imagine historical price data would be dividend adjusted.  Charts at Yahoo Finance (at least typically) are not dividend adjusted and you can get price data either way.

Are you comparing apples to apples, or apples to something else?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Beware of bad data sources

Post by ochotona »

The stockcharts numbers don't match either the raw or adjusted SCHX ETF prices on Yahoo! finance. Nothing matches. I was looking at 3/31/15. It's a cluster.