Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New all-time high

Post by buddtholomew »

Gold is 2% below my recent sale price.
The PP is positive YTD.
I have cash to invest in Gold and LTT's.
Oh the dilemma...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Cortopassi wrote: Just doing the change slowly.  I added about 3% more stocks right before the low in stocks whenever that was, late Jan or so, and have dropped cash to do that.  But not near the levels I want to be at.  I figure if I have it close by the end of the year I'll be good.

My targets, based off some 401k limitations are:

Total Market 15.0%
LT Bonds         25.0%
LgCap Blend 10.0%
EmMkt/IntlSmal7.5%
SmCapVal 7.5%
Cash 10.0%
Gold         25.0%
Basically less cash and more US/EM diversification.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

buddtholomew wrote: Gold is 2% below my recent sale price.
I have cash to invest in Gold...
Oh the dilemma...
Are you sure you want to keep getting in and out of gold like that?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

Pet Hog wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm Uncork the champagne!  According to peaktotrough.com, the PP started on January 1 1972 with 35/15 bands and reinvested dividends reached its all-time high (nominally) yesterday, surmounting the previous peak established on February 2 last year.  Hopefully, your portfolio is at its all-time high, too.  I know mine is, and it's a relief after the big plunge (almost 8%) last year.

(The PP rebalanced annually on Jan 1 has about 1% to go to reach its all-time high, set on the same day last year.)

Congratulations, PP!
Almost three years later and I could write a similar post again today. I follow two PPs (mine and a theoretical one started on a different day) and they both reached their all-time highs on Friday. The previous highs were toward the end of January 2018, so again it took just over a year to get back here.

Although the drawdowns I've experienced as a PP investor have been pretty small, I've noticed a psychological effect where a 2% decline now bothers me as much as a 20% decline did before I invested this way. Silly, I know. But I am very happy with my investments. I never think about changing the asset mix. For me that's the number one advantage of PP investing: no desire to tinker!

I'm optimistic about the portfolio's return for 2019. Hope to have a solid year -- a 10% gain would be welcome -- so that my real CAGR gets above 4% again and stays there. It's been stuck in the 1-3% range for too long (I started in May 2013).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Pet Hog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 pm
Pet Hog wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm Uncork the champagne!  According to peaktotrough.com, the PP started on January 1 1972 with 35/15 bands and reinvested dividends reached its all-time high (nominally) yesterday, surmounting the previous peak established on February 2 last year.  Hopefully, your portfolio is at its all-time high, too.  I know mine is, and it's a relief after the big plunge (almost 8%) last year.

(The PP rebalanced annually on Jan 1 has about 1% to go to reach its all-time high, set on the same day last year.)

Congratulations, PP!
Almost three years later and I could write a similar post again today. I follow two PPs (mine and a theoretical one started on a different day) and they both reached their all-time highs on Friday. The previous highs were toward the end of January 2018, so again it took just over a year to get back here.

Although the drawdowns I've experienced as a PP investor have been pretty small, I've noticed a psychological effect where a 2% decline now bothers me as much as a 20% decline did before I invested this way. Silly, I know. But I am very happy with my investments. I never think about changing the asset mix. For me that's the number one advantage of PP investing: no desire to tinker!

I'm optimistic about the portfolio's return for 2019. Hope to have a solid year -- a 10% gain would be welcome -- so that my real CAGR gets above 4% again and stays there. It's been stuck in the 1-3% range for too long (I started in May 2013).
Pet Hog,

Is it yet time for another update from you regarding this?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

Sure, Vinny -- it does seem like a good time for an update.

I'm at an all-time high again. It looked like the PP had peaked in early September 2019, but it ended the year with a surge during the the last few trading days. My PP gained a nominal 16.7% in 2019 (about 14.3% real -- I'll know more accurately when the CPI for December comes out next week). It was my best year since adopting the strategy, and now my real CAGR is about 4.2% over the six years and seven months since May 2013.

I was always hoping to get into -- and stay in -- the range of 4-6% real annualized. My long-term target for real CAGR is 5.2%. That's the number I got a few years back from a lot of spreadsheeting of the data. I think Tyler's Portfolio Charts gives a real CAGR of 4.9% or thereabouts for the PP rebalanced annually. The extra 0.3% should come from using 35/15 bands and rebalancing only when they are breached. I'm still accumulating and adding to lagging assets, so my PP is getting rebalanced less than annually and perhaps I will underperform for a while longer. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my progress and have no regrets.

This year I'm up 1.5% already. Another good January? I'm hoping for another above-average year to get my real CAGR up a bit higher. Since I hoped for, and received, a 10+% year last year, I'll wish for one again -- for all of us -- in 2020!

-----
EDIT: With today's CPI number for December, my real PP return for 2019 was 14.4% and my real CAGR since May 2013 has been 4.2%.