General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Staggering World Debt Points toward Crisis

Post by glennds »

Libertarian666 wrote:

And of course even having gold won't protect you against such a catastrophe because the Fed could print gold and make it worthless!  :P
Are we talking 3D printing here?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

No, I was just being silly. Even the Fed can't print gold, although they could coin it (if they had any).
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Libertarian666 wrote: No, I was just being silly. Even the Fed can't print gold, although they could coin it (if they had any).
The Fed doesn't have that authority, the Mint does.  And the Mint is a bureau of the Treasury.  Hence that stupid nonsense about the Treasury issuing a $1 billion platinum coin to pay off the debt or something like that.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

::)

In 1917, Congress imposed a debt ceiling on the federal government of about $215 billion (adjusted for inflation). At present, the national debt exceeds $19 trillion. Is the Debt Limit Statute, lately the object of a bruising political fight each time it is raised or suspended, constitutional? D.C. Circuit: Plaintiff, who owns some of the debt and is concerned such fights threaten to devalue his investments, lacks standing to find out. 

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 609889.pdf
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!