General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

I miss Craig Rowland

Post by frugal »

Hello fellows,

every year we had Mr.Craig Rowland's analyzes and now we don't have it anymore.

I am sad  :( :'(

Craig Rowland come back, please.

Regards.
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I miss Craig Rowland

Post by Jack Jones »

Why don't you do it?
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

frugal wrote: Hello fellows,

Regards.
Frugal:  In case you missed it, Kriegsspiel and I posted our calculations of the PP's returns in 2015 here.
Last edited by Pet Hog on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Pet Hog wrote:
frugal wrote: Hello fellows,

Regards.
Frugal:  In case you missed it, Kriegsspiel and I posted our calculations of the PP's returns in 2015 here.
Thank you!
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney »

I haven't seen the returns for a EU PP posted. Anyone has them? Thanks!
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

ILoveMoney wrote: I haven't seen the returns for a EU PP posted. Anyone has them? Thanks!
http://www.carterapermanente.es/resulta ... disculpas/
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Estimated values:

EU-PP
Total: +2,73%

US-PP
Total: -3,03%

Regards
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

He has good timing. Leaving after another negative year...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

buddtholomew wrote: He has good timing. Leaving after another negative year...
It's way more important today to discuss and get people to understand the immigration risks to the U.S. and western countries than to talk about money. The Permanent Portfolio is small potatoes compared to these other issues.

You think it's a negative year now, just wait until the demographics of the U.S. and western countries are permanently destroyed, or worse, serious civil unrest starts. You'll be begging for the good old days of 2015 before the U.S. and European economies started functioning like Brazil.
Last edited by craigr on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

craigr wrote:
It's way more important today to discuss and get people to understand the immigration risks to the U.S. and western countries than to talk about money. The Permanent Portfolio is small potatoes compared to these other issues.

You think it's a negative year now, just wait until the demographics of the U.S. and western countries are permanently destroyed, or worse, serious civil unrest starts. You'll be begging for the good old days of 2015 before the U.S. and European economies started functioning like Brazil.
Hi,

can you please explain with some more detail.

Thank you.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

frugal wrote:
craigr wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.
If the immigration situation in the U.S. and Europe is not brought under control then all this talk on investing is completely irrelevant. It will be irrelevant because the cultures that make the economies successful will no longer be functioning as they once did. Or, even worse, there could be massive civil unrest that can lead to really bad consequences.

It is just petty to focus on money when there are much bigger issues at play. 2016 is going to be a pivotal year for the U.S. and parts of Europe. Immigration and culture is the defining issue, not whether or not this or that asset is up or down a few points.

People can come on here and whine that I'm not wasting my time with my family over Christmas and New Years writing a blog post for those that are going to bitch and complain regardless (Hi Budd). But the reality is I don't get paid to do this, and in my perhaps too subtle way I'm saying that everyone should stop looking at their portfolios and consider some of the bigger issues going on.

In terms of the U.S., investors should focus on getting in a candidate that is going to get the immigration system under control. In Europe, investors should be supporting candidates and governments that will defend the host country and culture against mass immigration and globalism.

Nothing else matters right now but stopping what is going on with mass migration. It's just that simple.
Last edited by craigr on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

craigr wrote:
frugal wrote:
craigr wrote: It's way more important today to discuss and get people to understand the immigration risks to the U.S. and western countries than to talk about money. The Permanent Portfolio is small potatoes compared to these other issues.

Hi,

Thank you.
If the immigration situation in the U.S. and Europe is not brought under control then all this talk on investing is completely irrelevant. It will be irrelevant because the cultures that make the economies successful will no longer be functioning as they once did. Or, even worse, there could be massive civil unrest that can lead to really bad consequences.

It is just petty to focus on money when there are much bigger issues at play. 2016 is going to be a pivotal year for the U.S. and parts of Europe. Immigration and culture is the defining issue, not whether or not this or that asset is up or down a few points.

People can come on here and whine that I'm not wasting my time with my family over Christmas and New Years writing a blog post for those that are going to bitch and complain regardless (Hi Budd). But the reality is I don't get paid to do this, and in my perhaps too subtle way I'm saying that everyone should stop looking at their portfolios and consider some of the bigger issues going on.

In terms of the U.S., investors should focus on getting in a candidate that is going to get the immigration system under control. In Europe, investors should be supporting candidates and governments that will defend the host country and culture against mass immigration and globalism.

Nothing else matters right now but stopping what is going on with mass migration. It's just that simple.
Do you get paid to bitch and whine about immigration issues?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I come here to discuss investments and not immigration. I also don't consider you (hi Craig) a knowledgeable person on the topic either. Let's try and stick to the PP as there are other sections on the site for you to push your political views. By the way, I am an immigrant.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

dragoncar wrote:Do you get paid to bitch and whine about immigration issues?
No, but I donated to Trump. Happy 2016.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

buddtholomew wrote:Let's try and stick to the PP as there are other sections on the site for you to push your political views. By the way, I am an immigrant.
Since this thread was addressed to me and people wanted to know why I'm not posting I answered them. That reason is that stopping mass immigration is more important than the Permanent Portfolio.

That's my opinion and analysis in a nutshell. We'll see who's right on what the major issues are going forward, and I can guarantee you it's not interest rates, etc. It will be mass immigration and the fallout from it. It completely dwarfs all other risks to investors by a long shot. Not even close.

So you wanted me to write on the Permanent Portfolio and you got it. That's it right above and nothing else matters.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

craigr wrote:
buddtholomew wrote:Let's try and stick to the PP as there are other sections on the site for you to push your political views. By the way, I am an immigrant.
Since this thread was addressed to me and people wanted to know why I'm not posting I answered them. That reason is that stopping mass immigration is more important than the Permanent Portfolio.

That's my opinion and analysis in a nutshell. We'll see who's right on what the major issues are going forward, and I can guarantee you it's not interest rates, etc. It will be mass immigration and the fallout from it. It completely dwarfs all other risks to investors by a long shot. Not even close.

So you wanted me to write on the Permanent Portfolio and you got it. That's it right above and nothing else matters.
Is that the 5th economic climate that no one else has discovered?
I agree immigration control is an important topic, but so is nuclear war, famine or suicide bombings. We somehow still invest for out future in the face of all of these geopolitical issues.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

buddtholomew wrote:
craigr wrote:

Is that the 5th economic climate that no one else has discovered?
I agree immigration control is an important topic, but so is nuclear war, famine or suicide bombings. We somehow still invest for out future in the face of all of these geopolitical issues.
Don't forget climate change -- oh wait, I forgot that doesn't exist here.
craigr wrote:
dragoncar wrote:Do you get paid to bitch and whine about immigration issues?
No, but I donated to Trump. Happy 2016.
:-P
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

buddtholomew wrote:Is that the 5th economic climate that no one else has discovered?
Even though your answer is not serious, I would actually say that the culture of the country and how it is changed with immigration is the 5th economic condition.

For instance, does anyone honestly believe that 1 million uneducated third worlders a year pouring into Germany is going to make that country a better functioning society and investment?

You can get a bump from cheaper labor for a bit, but eventually the social impacts and debt levels always catch up and make the economy worse long-term. Not to mention social instability introduced that is almost always bad for the economy.

So if anyone wants to talk about investing, then they should first look at the people that make up the economy and what their culture is like. From there that tells you everything you need to know about whether the place is going to be a good or bad future investment.

If a country's culture is being damaged bringing in social dysfunction and unassimilable mass immigration, then it will be a bad investment going forward and only get worse each year the longer it keeps up.

Would anyone invest in Google if they suddenly found out they got rid of all hiring standards and just brought in anyone that wanted a job? How long do people think that company would last if they did that?

The culture of a country is what makes the economy. People don't suddenly turn into Germans just by stepping over the Rhine. Only the German people can give us Germany. When that is overwhelmed, then the prosperity of Germany goes away.

Investing and culture are hand in hand. You can't separate the two. So that's why I talk about immigration so much and why it needs to be controlled.
Simonjester wrote: i agree immigration is an important issue but i don't think it's number one, i have no problem with tackling it first, its a pretty quick fix, if the will to do so is there. but to me the number one issue is education... the dumbing down of our country (which open borders contributes to) will be the end of us.. if there are no critical thinkers left or they become so outnumbered they have no influence, all the problems caused by illegal immigrants will soon enough be caused by citizen idiots and the idiots that they elect to lead them..
"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson
Last edited by craigr on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

buddtholomew wrote: Let's try and stick to the PP as there are other sections on the site for you to push your political views.
Bud, Just as a matter of decorum...
You can't tell a man what is proper to do in his own house.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dragoncar wrote: Don't forget climate change -- oh wait, I forgot that doesn't exist here.
Whoa!

Millions of years ago there were these giant lizards who roamed the earth the same way we do today.  The world was a lot warmer because of all of the CO2 in the atmosphere that helped trap a lot more of the sun's heat.  Then something happened that caused a massive amount of the atmospheric CO2 that was temporarily sequestered in plant and animal life to be more or less permanently sequestered by being compacted and buried deep beneath the earth's surface. 

Millions of years later a bunch of clever monkeys needed a more efficient source of heat and they started bringing a lot of that now-highly concentrated sequestered carbon back to the surface and burning it for fuel and entertainment.  They were so good at it that in less than a century they put millions of years worth of carbon back into the atmosphere, and they actually created a set of cultural norms that require the continuation of that process more or less as a condition of their survival (their population is now too large to survive without continuing to reintroduce this carbon into the atmosphere).

You might think of modern humans as a strange parasite that is unconsciously working on behalf of the dinosaurs to re-create the conditions they needed to prosper all those millions of years ago.

Imagine the following exchange between two really smart dinosaurs:

D1: "Well, it looks like we're on our way out.  That kind of sucks."

D2: "Yeah.  We had a good run, though."

D1: "Maybe we'll come back someday in the future."

D2: "I don't know.  That would be tough.  We would need some future life form to be smart enough to find all of that sequestered carbon and then be dumb enough to bring it to the surface and put it back into the atmosphere because doing that would basically screw up whatever atmospheric conditions they needed to survive."

D1: "Yeah.  And they would also have to be clever enough to find a way to take scraps of our DNA and use it to re-create a bunch of our species when there is no imaginable reason for them to want to do that, other than perhaps because they thought we looked really cool."

D2: "I'm not optimistic about the prospects of some future creature being both smart enough and dumb enough to do all of that."

D1: "I know.  It's pretty farfetched."
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

Europe is lost already, too late, war is the only solution, which is obviously what the governments want.
Only the cultural marxists are still cheering for the multicultural hell while their daughters and wives get raped/robbed/murdered.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

dutchtraffic wrote: Europe is lost already, too late, war is the only solution, which is obviously what the governments want.
Only the cultural marxists are still cheering for the multicultural hell while their daughters and wives get raped/robbed/murdered.
People think that those against mass immigration are some kind of mean people. But the reality is that history on mass movements of people is very clear to us and it always leads to conflict. So far from being on the wrong side of the issue, those against mass immigration are actually trying to prevent the inevitable repeat of history.

Europe is not lost. A lot of Americans do not understand that those countries and people have thousands of years of history there and are not just going to roll over and hand it to incoming troublemakers. There will be a reaction and portfolio returns are going to be the least of their concerns.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

craigr wrote:
dutchtraffic wrote: Europe is lost already, too late, war is the only solution, which is obviously what the governments want.
People think that those against mass immigration are some kind of mean people. But the reality is that history on mass movements of people is very clear to us and it always leads to conflict. So far from being on the wrong side of the issue, those against mass immigration are actually trying to prevent the inevitable repeat of history.

Europe is not lost. A lot of Americans do not understand that those countries and people have thousands of years of history there and are not just going to roll over and hand it to incoming troublemakers. There will be a reaction and portfolio returns are going to be the least of their concerns.
With "Lost" i mean civil unrest/war is the only realistic outcome left, voting is not going to change things anymore over here.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

As the attacks on Cologne show us, when multiculturalism is putted against feminism… feminism loses. Feminists should be paying very close attention here and seriously asking themselves whether the introduction of a bunch of people with no respect for women is likely to help or hurt their cause.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Pointedstick wrote: As the attacks on Cologne show us, when multiculturalism is putted against feminism… feminism loses. Feminists should be paying very close attention here and seriously asking themselves whether the introduction of a bunch of people with no respect for women is likely to help or hurt their cause.
As far as I can tell, feminists are avoiding this story as they would the plague.

I wonder why that is?