PP is once again positive YTD

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP is once again positive YTD

Post by dutchtraffic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Calling the pp a "crowded trade" is crazy in so many different ways, It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

And if it WAS a 'crowded trade', that would be positive.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:48 pm

dutchtraffic wrote: Calling the pp a "crowded trade" is crazy in so many different ways, It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

And if it WAS a 'crowded trade', that would be positive.
Lack of buyers is not a positive.  Price will have to decrease until an equilibrium is reached.  If bond funds (driven by dumb money avoiding and/or fleeing equities) weren't so busy gobbling up the billions in Treasuries that China is dumping, you'd see what I mean.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:56 pm

This is all the same kind of talk that scared me nearly 100% into gold and silver in 2008!  Part of me still wants to just convert everything to gold, and screw the rest of the system.

But that obviously has not been working and who knows if it ever will.  God, I wish there were more good options for investment.  Yeah, sure there's this ETF, that bond fund, that global index, but they are all so intertwined nowadays if the SHTF (ever) they are all in for a major rude awakening.  So where is there to go?
Test of the signature line
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Cortopassi wrote: This is all the same kind of talk that scared me nearly 100% into gold and silver in 2008!  Part of me still wants to just convert everything to gold, and screw the rest of the system.

But that obviously has not been working and who knows if it ever will.  God, I wish there were more good options for investment.  Yeah, sure there's this ETF, that bond fund, that global index, but they are all so intertwined nowadays if the SHTF (ever) they are all in for a major rude awakening.  So where is there to go?
Full cash/short term mixed bonds.

Take the "sure thing" trades only, individual stocks, married put, roll it down if you were wrong.
Super low volatility, huge profit potential.
Done.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:24 pm

dutchtraffic wrote:
Cortopassi wrote: This is all the same kind of talk that scared me nearly 100% into gold and silver in 2008!  Part of me still wants to just convert everything to gold, and screw the rest of the system.

Take the "sure thing" trades only, individual stocks, married put, roll it down if you were wrong.
Done.
And if hyperinflation shows up, you might be able to buy a postage stamp with your savings.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
dutchtraffic wrote:

Done.
And if hyperinflation shows up, you might be able to buy a postage stamp with your savings.
Yes, for that, convert some to phys. gold :)
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:41 pm

The Volatility Parity PP Jr.!  It's as low risk as you can possibly get.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: And if hyperinflation shows up, you might be able to buy a postage stamp with your savings.
That would only happen if he sat through all the destructive ruckus BEFORE the hyperinflation.  No PPer is possibly that dumb.  Once inflation went past 5% and killed bonds and stocks, it would be clear real assets are the place to be, preferably offshore.  None of this stuff happens like a Black Swan and then snap, you're instantly wiped out.  Plenty of warning.  Even in Iceland.

BTW, gold hasn't moved worth a hill o' beans when priced in the Syrian pound.  That's not logical, so I suspect there must be an official rate being used.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:56 am

when things get like germany did in 1923 bartering will once again be the way to have commerce . gold wasn't used at all .

learn a skill you can barter with for that doomsday scenario  if you are really concerned .
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:04 am

Pet Hog wrote:3. You have forgotten to divide by four in your "worse" figures for 10/14.  You can't just add the percentages together without factoring in that each asset only makes up 25% of the portfolio.  So your worse numbers are actually all on the order of –0.8%; that is, they are better!  And the dividends from TLT and VTI would appear to wipe out that loss, so a positive PP YTD.
Ah yes, so I did.  That means my negative numbers are only 1/4 as bad as I originally posted (but still negative).
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:07 am

Pointedstick wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: LOL!  I think you're dreaming.  Blacks are always going to be eternally grateful to the Democratic torchbearers for getting them their civil rights.

But, it would be really cool if it ever happened.
How ironic it is that it took a Republican (Lincoln) to free the slaves. 
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:12 am

rocketdog wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: LOL!  I think you're dreaming.  Blacks are always going to be eternally grateful to the Democratic torchbearers for getting them their civil rights.

But, it would be really cool if it ever happened.
He only "freed the slaves" in territories that he didn't control.
Anyone else could have done that just as well as he did!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
rocketdog wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:
Yep.  The Emancipation Proclamation freed no one.  It was an utterly empty political gesture.

Lincoln's writings on the subject of race relations and segregation never seem to make it into any of the textbooks and other writings that shape the public's perception of history, and that's a shame.  They paint a far more nuanced picture of who Lincoln was than the silly caricature of good old Honest Abe out there chopping wood as he tries to decide the next noble thought he will think.

If I could have dinner with any historical figure, I might pick Lincoln.  Benjamin Franklin would also be cool.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 pm

MT, is your current avatar Link from The Mod Squad?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:17 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
rocketdog wrote: How ironic it is that it took a Republican (Lincoln) to free the slaves.
Yep.  The Emancipation Proclamation freed no one.  It was an utterly empty political gesture.

Lincoln's writings on the subject of race relations and segregation never seem to make it into any of the textbooks and other writings that shape the public's perception of history, and that's a shame.  They paint a far more nuanced picture of who Lincoln was than the silly caricature of good old Honest Abe out there chopping wood as he tries to decide the next noble thought he will think.

If I could have dinner with any historical figure, I might pick Lincoln.  Benjamin Franklin would also be cool.
Note that slavery was abolished in many other countries without the horrors of civil war, and there is no reason that couldn't have happened here as well.

So if I could go back in time to 1860 or so, I would assassinate Lincoln before he could set up the framework for many of the tyrannical government behaviors we face today, namely income tax, unbacked paper money, trampling on the states (no, I'm not in favor of slavery), and conscription.

Of course that doesn't mean that later Presidents wouldn't come up with those "brilliant" ideas, but at least they wouldn't have had such a head start.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:46 pm

MediumTex wrote: Yep.  The Emancipation Proclamation freed no one.  It was an utterly empty political gesture.
I always remember this when I hear about the Emancipation. Also it is terrible hah. (from South Park the movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi5zxL2e27k
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:02 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
barrett wrote: MT, is your current avatar Link from The Mod Squad?
Looks like that goggled sky-hooker, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
You mean Lew Alcindor?
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Remember people you can right click on an image, go to "Copy Image Location", and then go to Google Images, click on the camera icon for "search by image", and presto!
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:05 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Greg wrote:
Remember people you can right click on an image, go to "Copy Image Location", and then go to Google Images, click on the camera icon for "search by image", and presto!
Wow, that is really cool. I didn't know that could be done. Data collection or not, you gotta love Google.
Indeed. Miracles of the Internets ---> http://www.zazzle.com/pug_graduation_ca ... 2269995081, found in 5 seconds

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 pm

ahh yes forgot about that one for Chrome. I'm on Mozilla for my work computer out on a business trip and didn't remember that. Well, my way works for all browsers so take that TennPaGa! *throws hissy fit*

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Look at that cute little Asian dude down there.  My hands are bigger than his feet.

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:10 pm

barrett wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
Looks like that goggled sky-hooker, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
You mean Lew Alcindor?
I heard that Kurt Warner briefly considered changing his name to Jesus Mary-Jehovah, but decided to just stick with Kurt Warner.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:14 am

With today's strong jobs report depressing gold and bonds something tells me that we might be hearing from mathjak today.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:20 am

nope ,  i voiced my opinion enough about what i thought about the pp  going forward  quite enough times ,  which is  no one is in the drivers seat to make any revisions as time finds this isn't the investment arena of old anymore . .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:10 am

MT back with his jokes to divert attention away from the poor performance of this portfolio. Wake up people before it's too late. Worst and I mean worst portfolio EVER.

Lose/lose.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.