The PP Interviews

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jake

The PP Interviews

Post by Jake »

I've just released a podcast interview with Tyler (resident chart wizard from this forum) about passive investment portfolios and his website Portfolio Charts.
Here's the interview page http://www.thevoluntarylife.com/2015/10 ... tment.html
And here is the mp3 http://podcasts.thevoluntarylife.com/TV ... folios.mp3

Also, in case you missed them, here is a previous interview with Craig:
http://www.thevoluntarylife.com/2012/09 ... rview.html
And here is one with Medium Tex:
http://www.thevoluntarylife.com/2012/04 ... -with.html
fi50@fi2023
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: The PP Interviews

Post by fi50@fi2023 »

Thanks so much Jake!  That's so great!  Looking forward to your new book release -- i was one of your contributing editors.

Hope you're enjoying Panama!

Jason
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

"Jake", when will you finally admit to the forum that you're actually Eric Idle?
Always nice to hear your podcasts and interviews, and it was nice to hear your voice too, Tyler.
Jake

Post by Jake »

dualstow wrote: "Jake", when will you finally admit to the forum that you're actually Eric Idle?
Well, I will admit that this is what I look like when recording podcasts:

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

Thank you, very interesting.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

One of Jake's superpowers as an interviewer is that you have to concentrate so hard on it not being a Monty Python sketch that it really takes the edge off.  ;D  I had a good time, and hopefully I was able to get my points across without rambling too much.  The chance to talk about these kinds of things and not simply write about them is a rare treat, and sometimes I get carried away.

BTW, be sure to check out the rest of his site -- it's a wonderful collection of different ways of thinking about life, work, and money. 
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

Fine interview and even better website, Tyler.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

The roller coaster and deceptive average speed analogy is priceless...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Thank you.

I will hear it.

If you know any podcast about EUROPEAN PP please let me know!

:) ;) :D
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Jake

Post by Jake »

frugal wrote:

Here's an interview about having a permanent portfolio in Europe:
http://www.thevoluntarylife.com/2012/02 ... -marc.html

As far as I understand, Marc (the guy I interviewed) has since changed his mind about the PP, but this is nonetheless a useful discussion for those interested in implementing a PP within the eurozone.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

That I heard already.

Marc invested in Bitcoin.

I would like to hear a NEW one  :) ;) ;) 8)

All the best !

Your voice is very calm.
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat »

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but well done both of you, a very interesting podcast.
Tyler you are sounding worryingly articulate about obscure portfolio comparisons, go back and edit in some "umm dunno's" ;) 
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

The beauty of a podcast format is that I can have the collection of obscure portfolios up in front of me while I feign an articulate response.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  ;)

Most of what I try to focus on isn't necessarily the fine details of one portfolio over another, but why the good ones work so well and the overall mindset required to succeed with passive investing in general.  As long as I can articulate that well enough, the details of each portfolio are just guides for helping people find what they're most comfortable with. 
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I want a do-over on mine.

I know a lot more now than I did then.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

MediumTex wrote: I want a do-over on mine.

I liked your first one but would be happy to listen to a take 2.

Jake, when doing new podcasts, can you give the date up front that they are being recorded? If there is a reference to the current state of financial or world affairs, it's nice to know what time frame is being talked about.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

But did you evolve from the Browne PP or are you still where you're at? ;)
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

MachineGhost wrote:

But did you evolve from the Browne PP or are you still where you're at? ;)
I think that my beliefs are seated within me more coherently now, and thus I think that I could speak about them in a more natural way.

The truth, of course, is that it wouldn't be a do-over.  It would be a whole new discussion, part of which would be revisiting the first discussion, but I would still like to do it.

There is the old saying about how doing something for 1,000 days is practice, and doing something for 10,000 days is refining.

I want to nibble around on what the 10,000 day interview might look like when viewed from the 2,500 day point (which would be today for me).
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Jake

Post by Jake »

MediumTex wrote: The truth, of course, is that it wouldn't be a do-over.  It would be a whole new discussion, part of which would be revisiting the first discussion, but I would still like to do it.
You're on, Tex! I will message you to arrange.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I would be curious to know what MT's thoughts are on the need to potentially diversify the PP a bit more with some allocation to non-US stocks/bonds, as has been discussed recently in the forum.

Although I find the topic interesting to discuss, I remain unconvinced.
Last edited by AdamA on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hello,

can you please speak about a EU-PP?

Thank you Jake and Tex!
Roman

Post by Roman »

frugal wrote: Thank you.

I will hear it.

I don't know a podcast about the PP in Europe and did not start one myself yet - but thinking about it for a while now. What are your questions? If you text me, I'll try to answer them.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Roman good morning,

what are the possible assets...if it will continue to work with all the instability...

Thank you so much for your message.

Also sent private message.

Regards!
upside

Post by upside »

Tyler,
Excellent website you've built. I'm about halfway through the interview, which is really interesting. If you don't mind me asking, which portfolio are you currently using?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

upside wrote: Tyler,
Excellent website you've built. I'm about halfway through the interview, which is really interesting. If you don't mind me asking, which portfolio are you currently using?
I've been 100% Permanent Portfolio for several years now.  It works very well for me personally, and conversations on this board inspired many of the tools on my site.  I've debated several times starting a small VP with a few alternative assets, but to date I've just stayed the PP course. 

Your question is pretty common, and I've considered eventually writing a detailed post on the site explaining how and why I personally invest the way I do.  I've intentionally avoided it to date simply because I don't want to create the perception that I'm advocating for a certain asset allocation.  (Because I'm not!)  Obviously I'll argue in favor of the PP on the PP forum, but I'm not selling anything.  I truly believe everyone needs to find a portfolio they are comfortable with, and there's more than one good way to invest.  I like to think of PC as a collection of good options for all types of investors. 
upside

Post by upside »

Tyler wrote:
upside wrote: Tyler,
I've been 100% Permanent Portfolio for several years now.  It works very well for me personally, and conversations on this board inspired many of the tools on my site.  I've debated several times starting a small VP with a few alternative assets, but to date I've just stayed the PP course. 

Your question is pretty common, and I've considered eventually writing a detailed post on the site explaining how and why I personally invest the way I do.  I've intentionally avoided it to date simply because I don't want to create the perception that I'm advocating for a certain asset allocation.  (Because I'm not!)  Obviously I'll argue in favor of the PP on the PP forum, but I'm not selling anything.  I truly believe everyone needs to find a portfolio they are comfortable with, and there's more than one good way to invest.  I like to think of PC as a collection of good options for all types of investors.
You have my vote for adding a post like the one you describe. I'd be very interested in reading it.