The Permanent Portfolio Jr.

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Permanent Portfolio Jr.

Post by MachineGhost »

I'll keep this short.  For those that cannot tolerate the risk of the Permanent Portfolio, I've crunched the numbers over the past 100 years or so to come up with a substantially less risky version that still accomplishes the goal of wealth preservation and beating CPI inflation.  Ta da:

80% 5-Year Ladder (CD's, Treasuries)
10% Stocks
10% Gold

Yep, thats literally it.  You can then sleep like a baby at night.  No need to worry about gut quenching 25% maximum drawdowns (either real or nominal depending on who you believe).
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Permanent Portfolio Jr.

Post by Xan »

What rebalancing bands do you use?

How do you go back 100 years across the line where gold was tied to the USD and come up with anything meaningful?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Xan wrote: What rebalancing bands do you use?

How do you go back 100 years across the line where gold was tied to the USD and come up with anything meaningful?
I used annual rebalancing.  I can't remember, but I think I used gold priced in GBP converted to USD to get earlier prices.  Or just silver.  Or real estate.  It doesn't really matter.  Birds of a feather flock together.

However, real estate is a consistent underperformer.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Have you seen Tyler's new charts during your hiatus?
portfoliocharts.com
You can plug your jr in there.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: Have you seen Tyler's new charts during your hiatus?
portfoliocharts.com
You can plug your jr in there.
Oh wow, that's pretty darn cool!

80% into Short Term Treasury is close enough, but of course in the real world, CD rates were higher and duration exactly 2.93 years.

T-Bills top out at 12 months, so technically it would be a T-Bill + T-Note ladder.

It looks like starting this when stocks are overvalued is a bad idea, at least for 10 years out.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

Tbills are riskier than gold.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Cd's aren't.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

Reub wrote: Cd's aren't.
They are.

The govt. might "guarantee" them, but what is that worth....?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

MachineGhost wrote: I'll keep this short.  For those that cannot tolerate the risk of the Permanent Portfolio, I've crunched the numbers over the past 100 years or so to come up with a substantially less risky version that still accomplishes the goal of wealth preservation and beating CPI inflation.  Ta da:

80% 5-Year Ladder (CD's, Treasuries)
10% Stocks
10% Gold

Yep, thats literally it.  You can then sleep like a baby at night.  No need to worry about gut quenching 25% maximum drawdowns (either real or nominal depending on who you believe).
many years ago i read a book about the armadillo investing strategy . it was 80 % 5 year treasury's ,10% GOLD , 10% STOCK .

5 year cd's had a good run because of falling rates . you were always a head of the curve for most of history the last 40 years .  but with rates rising , be careful , you will be behind the curve .
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Was it by Richard C. Young? 1 of 2 reviews say the focus was on dividends. (?)
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

yes that was the author  . he was pushing his book around the same time i discovered harry brown .
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Who knew that Machine Ghost was an armadillo?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Who knew interest rates were rising?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

mathjak107 wrote: 5 year cd's had a good run because of falling rates . you were always a head of the curve for most of history the last 40 years .  but with rates rising , be careful , you will be behind the curve .
I backtested it through the 40-year bond bear market.  Do not go past 3-year weighted maturity if you want to come out alive.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote: Who knew that Machine Ghost was an armadillo?
I am but a humble armadillo...

[img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/rG85Arr.jpg[/img]

So much for my "original" idea, though!  But I made a modification at least!
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k9

Post by k9 »

According to this source https://books.google.fr/books?id=OgUEAA ... gy&f=false

Young's Armadillo strategy is 20% treasuries, 10% gold, 70% stocks, so quite different from MG's allocation.