General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mathjak's Market Calls

Post by barrett » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 am

Xan wrote:
Tom wrote:With the PP up above 10% YTD this year, I'm curious to know where you're at mathjak to see if your strategy is still up ahead or if this year balances out PP's lackluster performance last year.
Mathjak has long since been banned.
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is that he left voluntarily because we are a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Mathjak was not banned that I'm aware of and I just checked his account and it is not banned.

Very few people have ever been banned from this forum. You really need to go above and beyond to get banned, or be an outright spammer.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:45 am

I stand corrected!
Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:29 am

barrett wrote:
Xan wrote:
Tom wrote:With the PP up above 10% YTD this year, I'm curious to know where you're at mathjak to see if your strategy is still up ahead or if this year balances out PP's lackluster performance last year.
Mathjak has long since been banned.
I don't think that is correct. My understanding is that he left voluntarily because we are a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers.

The Kool-Aid is tasting pretty good right about now.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Tom wrote:The Kool-Aid is tasting pretty good right about now.
Oh yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n69H0JwsGI&t=0m11s
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:49 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:07 pm
well whatever works .  i never go in our out . we alter allocations a little or swap fund types but trying to bet the ranch on in or out of equity's is a game i have not played since fabians can't lose  moving average newsletter .

that was until we lost  ha ha ha
I was a dedicated Dick Fabian Telephone Switch Newsletter follower for at least 3 years from 1987 to 1990. Did the 100% switch EVERY time it was called for. Then changed to someone else's newsletter from then until sometime in the late 90s (during which I again strictly followed the 100% all in either equities or cash). Then I stopped completely following anyone's newsletter switches.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:51 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:27 pm
mathjak107 wrote: fabian had a pretty good track  record back in the day with his moving average system .  his newsletter was hot . his thing was he would sacrifice the 10% at the top and bottom and you get the 80% in the middle .

well markets whip sawed the model so bad it fell way behind . the markets were acting faster than the moving averages could respond . eventually performance sucked .

so he went back to the lab and revised hings . he proclaimed it is going to be so god that he publicly posted his moves in his own portfolio .

needless to say it to failed o perform ,.
Fabian's problem wasn't that the system didn't work, it was that he stopped following his own rules [well, actually his father's rules] and started trying to second guess the mechanical switch signals, and guessed wrong too many times. Proving once again, the difficulty of following rules when emotions are involved and also the inability of anyone to time the market.
In regards to my prior post....it was the Father Fabian who I was following from 1987 to 1990.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."