General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PSA: I now have a 3-year period with no gains

Post by MediumTex »

sixdollars wrote:
iwealth wrote: You read these threads and you'd think the PP was in the midst of a massive drawdown or something. Seriously, sixdollars quote is on the money. It's crazy in here.
Honestly, I find the craziness to be somewhat entertaining.  I'm not a natural sadist, but some of the claims and justifications that have been spouted in this thread are borderline ridiculous, as you said.  The mountains out of molehills fears are running so high that everyone is looking for consolation from Papa Tex and Papa Rowland now for comfort... seriously, you can't make this stuff up... what is going on?
If you think it's entertaining now, wait until I expose mathjak's lack of capitalization capabilities by saturating the discussion with acronyms.

He will be running back to the Blue Hair-guana begging for his old job.  "It's ugly out there, especially for the lower-cased", he will say.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Tyler wrote:
mathjak107 wrote: well over the 15 years the model i used went from 206k in 2000 to 533k as of last night .  using the same 206k to start where would the pp be as of last night ?
According to PeaktoTrough, $542k.
MJ KIA...RIP

JK...JK...LMAO
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

MediumTex wrote:
Tyler wrote:
mathjak107 wrote: well over the 15 years the model i used went from 206k in 2000 to 533k as of last night .  using the same 206k to start where would the pp be as of last night ?
According to PeaktoTrough, $542k.
MJ KIA...RIP

JK...JK...LMAO
Last edited by sixdollars on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

for comparison the insight growth model which is a 110-20% bond model  was at  816,056 in 2000 and  as of last night 2,100,000.00
Be careful what you wish for. :)

[img width=500]http://i.imgur.com/WFh6o0z.png[/img]

If we include the 2.5% loss in 2015 so far, the total is $558k. Your 816k in the PP during that time period would become $2.12m.

Check for yourself at https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... sisResults
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

but the 2-1/2% loss would be assuming it is 100% equity's correct ?  both are not 100% equity's .

even so 7.62% in the worst 15 year time frame we  have had is not to bad .    the sap 500 i think was less than 4%
Last edited by mathjak107 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: I'd like to see the same conviction from them as when they were making hundreds and hundreds of posts on the Bogleheads site and writing a book on the subject. After all, they created this website and persuaded most of us to invest in this manner. I just feel that for the two of them to disappear literally for months at a time when the PP has gone absolutely nowhere for 3 years and has returned  100+% less than stocks since 2009 borders on negligence. It just seems that they have less or no interest in the PP these days and possibly for us.

When will I be banned again for these comments?
That's like trying to thank the host for putting on a fun party by leaving an upper decker.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: After all, they created this website and persuaded most of us to invest in this manner.
I think the conditions were ripe. That was the real persuasion for me although certainly the thread at bhagavad gita was the gateway. I listened to Harry Browne's radio archives posted at crawlingroad, read two of Harry's books and it all made sense to me.

If anything gave me pause, it was that the permanent portfolio wasn't more popular. Hundreds of bogleh blue-hairs had heard about it, but they didn't seem to be switching over in droves. Highly intelligent and well respected posters were explaining why they didn't like the pp. Others were reluctant to buy or hold gold.

I didn't care. And I still don't.

Sure, the allure is stronger when the pp is crushing riskier portfolios. But it can't always be that way.
All will be well, Reub.

🍍
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I haven't complained about the poor performance of the portfolio. I'm a big boy. I just wonder why people could be so involved with and dedicated to the PP and then just go away for months at a time. It just seems a little odd.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: I haven't complained about the poor performance of the portfolio. I'm a big boy. I just wonder why people could be so involved with and dedicated to the PP and then just go away for months at a time. It just seems a little odd.
My guess: they're human and got bored, because an investment portfolio is an inherently boring thing, and after a while there isn't much to talk about anymore because all the obvious questions and even a lot of the subtle ones have already been answered. The biggest reason why I stick around is for the Other Discussions subform at this point. We've all pretty much beaten the PP to death from as many angles as we can already. What more is there to say? It's an investment portfolio. It isn't very complicated. Once you start to use it, the biggest challenge is likely to be your own emotions, same as any portfolio, but potentially even worse since almost nobody loves all four PP assets.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: I haven't complained about the poor performance of the portfolio. I'm a big boy. I just wonder why people could be so involved with and dedicated to the PP and then just go away for months at a time. It just seems a little odd.
Well, it happened.

I don't know what else there is to say about that.

Sometimes other interests in your life pull your attention in other directions.  I'm no different than any other member in that regard.  Lots of people here come and go.  That's a good thing.  I think that not thinking about the PP or any investment topic for a while is good for people.
jfreib

Post by jfreib »

Reub wrote: I just wonder why people could be so involved with and dedicated to the PP and then just go away for months at a time. It just seems a little odd.
And what about that Harry Browne character, he sure hasn't responded in a while either...

People are acting like they have been sold a scam by a couple of financial advisors who are profiting off of their misfortune. The people involved in this forum have spent lots of their time creating a place on the internet where people can get a wealth of knowledge about a particular investment strategy. It does not benefit any of them when someone switches to the permanent portfolio. It makes no sense to me why someone could have resentment or anger towards them.

Perhaps because I have been in this long enough to experience the good times of the PP, or perhaps because I have a lot less money than many people here, I am actually relieved to look at my portfolio and see nothing happening. It very nice to not have to listen to the panic surrounding daily swings in the markets in order to try and guess which way the wind is blowing. Of course the downside is the reduced stress means that I might live longer and therefore need more money for retirement!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

jfreib wrote:
Reub wrote: I just wonder why people could be so involved with and dedicated to the PP and then just go away for months at a time. It just seems a little odd.
And what about that Harry Browne character, he sure hasn't responded in a while either...

People are acting like they have been sold a scam by a couple of financial advisors who are profiting off of their misfortune. The people involved in this forum have spent lots of their time creating a place on the internet where people can get a wealth of knowledge about a particular investment strategy. It does not benefit any of them when someone switches to the permanent portfolio. It makes no sense to me why someone could have resentment or anger towards them.

Perhaps because I have been in this long enough to experience the good times of the PP, or perhaps because I have a lot less money than many people here, I am actually relieved to look at my portfolio and see nothing happening. It very nice to not have to listen to the panic surrounding daily swings in the markets in order to try and guess which way the wind is blowing. Of course the downside is the reduced stress means that I might live longer and therefore need more money for retirement!
The thing I'm having trouble with is understanding what the misfortune is.

Nothing out of character has happened with the PP.

It's rolling along like a clock in a thunderstorm.

From reading all of this stuff, you would never guess that YTD the PP is beating a 100% stock allocation as well as a 60/40 allocation.

Which allocation do the grumblers wish they had gone to and when?  Seriously.

If everything else is down a lot and the PP is down a little, the PP is doing its job.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I'm not complaining about performance, but come on! Since 2009 aren't equities up 150-200%? Is the PP up anywhere close to that? Please let's not pretend that it's kicked any ass recently.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: I'm not complaining about performance, but come on! Since 2009 aren't equities up 150-200%? Is the PP up anywhere close to that? Please let's not pretend that it's kicked any ass recently.
But you wouldn't expect it to, right? The PP is not a 100% equity portfolio so obviously it will lag one. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not the portfolio that's killing people but the wild expectations. A lot of people seem to want equity returns with cash volatility.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Reub wrote: I'm not complaining about performance, but come on! Since 2009 aren't equities up 150-200%? Is the PP up anywhere close to that? Please let's not pretend that it's kicked any ass recently.
etfreplay.com shows 7.9% in 2009 vs. 26.5% for 100% S&P 500.

In 2010 it was 14.5% vs. 15.1% for S&P500.

In 2011 it was 11.5% vs. 1.9% for S&P500

Etc.

Nothing out of the ordinary is going on and volatility in the portfolio is about 50% of 100% stocks. It is all period dependent on the returns and what an investor happened to get.

A stock heavy portfolio is going to outperform a non-stock heavy portfolio after the worst market crash in 40 years followed by a sharp Fed induced recovery. There is no surprise here, but who was willing to bet the family farm in January 2009 on all of that happening?

So unless investors are going to jump into their time machine back to 2009, and put 100% of their money at the bottom of the market crash, the entire debate is meaningless.
Last edited by craigr on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

AdamA wrote:
Reub wrote: But they did go well out of their way to start a massive thread on the BH site. They convinced many Bogleheads to change their investment strategy. They did write a book promoting this strategy. And then for the most part they went away.
I think that's because there's just not that much to say about it. 

You can read the FAQs on Craig's blog and understand most of what you need to know.  The rest of the discussion is mostly for fun. 

I would, of course, be interested to hear if either of them saw a change in the financial universe at some point that would make them leave the PP, but I've seen nothing over the past 5 years to indicate anything like that has happened.
That's kinda what spurred my post to begin with.  From when mediumtex said "A rolling three year period of negative returns would make me open up the hood and take a look."  We are nearing that point.

See: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

But apparently clocks in thunderstorms have always had three years of negative returns
Last edited by dragoncar on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

mathjak107 wrote: but the 2-1/2% loss would be assuming it is 100% equity's correct ?  both are not 100% equity's .

even so 7.62% in the worst 15 year time frame we  have had is not to bad .    the sap 500 i think was less than 4%

as of last night the losses are not 2.50%

the growth and income model is down 1.44% ytd  and  the growth model is down only 1%  ytd not 2-1/2 . one good market day and both portfolio's  could be positive again .  so while yes they got hit harder they had a bigger cushion of gains to fall back with  as well as were pushed back up by the larger market gains acting on them .  that is an important  thing to consider when looking at the drops .  they may be from much higher levels of gains .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

MediumTex wrote:
Well, it happened.

I don't know what else there is to say about that.

Sometimes other interests in your life pull your attention in other directions.  I'm no different than any other member in that regard.  Lots of people here come and go.  That's a good thing.  I think that not thinking about the PP or any investment topic for a while is good for people.

we should all just be happy there is a forum and kind of a support group here for those who need it .  even  though i am not a follower i find the forum a great benefit for discussions  . i always believe in understanding the other side  of things so regardless of who is contributing from above  the forums are a benefit to all and i think rather than complaining the brass isn't posting we should be happy for those who have a place to post .

misery loves company and having others who reinforce your view and make you feel better about your choice  is a powerful tool as it helps you stay the course .

right or wrong even a broken watch is right twice a day so sticking to your plan is important no matter what your strategy .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

craigr wrote:
etfreplay.com shows 7.9% in 2009 vs. 26.5% for 100% S&P 500.

In 2010 it was 14.5% vs. 15.1% for S&P500.

In 2011 it was 11.5% vs. 1.9% for S&P500

Etc.

Nothing out of the ordinary is going on and volatility in the portfolio is about 50% of 100% stocks. It is all period dependent on the returns and what an investor happened to get.

A stock heavy portfolio is going to outperform a non-stock heavy portfolio after the worst market crash in 40 years followed by a sharp Fed induced recovery. There is no surprise here, but who was willing to bet the family farm in January 2009 on all of that happening?

So unless investors are going to jump into their time machine back to 2009, and put 100% of their money at the bottom of the market crash, the entire debate is meaningless.

if the times going forward really are different ,  then comparing all these charts of the past is useless and nothing more than driving and looking in the rear view mirror .

each time frame is just different enough that one day every trading system or strategy eventually  reaches a point  where what worked well in the past does not anymore . some just take a longer time than others to reach that point .

for the pp it may have taken a point where zero interest rates , high stock valuations and bonds that have little oomph left  on their own and depend more on a calamity and flight to safety rather  than the normal direction of rates in a long term  fall.  the fact gold responds to little at this point  and falls more than it goes up has created the perfect storm . the 4-wheel drive system of the pp may be so bogged down it can't move itself .

we really will not know for a while whether the pp reached a point where by its own design it buried itself and can't get out  because its own asset's are killing off the weaker pulls of the  growth engine's that  attempt to tow it  but right now that appears to be the case to me .  but to early to really tell for sure .

i just wouldn't use that rear view mirror to much and concentrate more on the road a head of me while i stayed the course with the pp at this stage as i would with any portfolio today . .

for those uncomfortable with what they see  there are other conservative options out there to run with , no reason to second guess yourself or need reassurance from some others  and then pick on them for not being there .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dragoncar wrote: ...
From when mediumtex said "A rolling three year period of negative returns would make me open up the hood and take a look."  We are nearing that point.

See: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

But apparently clocks in thunderstorms have always had three years of negative returns
Ah, thank you for posting that. I have long since misremembered that as "would make me leave."
'Open the hood and look' is milder.
🍍
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones »

@MediumTex: Is that the epic BH thread that you sometimes refer to?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Jack Jones wrote:
@MediumTex: Is that the epic BH thread that you sometimes refer to?
I think that is a shorter thread that came after the epic thread.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

🍍
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones »

dualstow wrote: The big one. 72 pages. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15434
It continues with Med Tex in October 2010 http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61964
Thanks!
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

dragoncar wrote:
That's kinda what spurred my post to begin with.  From when mediumtex said "A rolling three year period of negative returns would make me open up the hood and take a look."  We are nearing that point.
2014 returned like 12% on the PP.  Where are you getting this 3-year period of negative returns?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal