General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PSA: I now have a 3-year period with no gains

Post by tennpaga » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm

iwealth wrote:
mathjak107 wrote: just think how quiet the forums here would have been without me  ha ha ha .
You are probably one of the most prolific forum posters on the entire internet based on your activity here and the other forums you frequent. I'm still not sure if you are for real or some sort of really well-programmed spambot ;)
And don't forget he's typing with only 1 finger.  His FCNPR (finger-count-normalized posting rate) is likely off the charts.
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:35 pm

stuper1 wrote:
mathjak107 wrote: at the risk of sounding like a broken record
That gets my vote for understatement of the year.

I think we've got your point by now.  You'd accomplish a lot more good in the investing world by focusing your energies on the much larger group of people who are doing stupid things like wasting their money on market timing, high expense-ratio mutual funds, etc.  Us PP people just happen to have a different philosophy than you do, maybe a bit less certain about the future, and willing to put up with lower returns to have better insurance for possible black swan events.  I'm not saying that you should leave, but it does get a bit tiresome to hear the same spiel from you every day.
+++1  :-\
Last edited by Snoopy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just don't have time to get in a hurry.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Snoopy wrote:
stuper1 wrote:

I think we've got your point by now.  You'd accomplish a lot more good in the investing world by focusing your energies on the much larger group of people who are doing stupid things like wasting their money on market timing, high expense-ratio mutual funds, etc.  Us PP people just happen to have a different philosophy than you do, maybe a bit less certain about the future, and willing to put up with lower returns to have better insurance for possible black swan events.  I'm not saying that you should leave, but it does get a bit tiresome to hear the same spiel from you every day.
+++1  :-\
More close-up bug photos and less PP heckling please!!!
Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg.
-Dwight Eisenhower
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm

stuper1 wrote:

Who are you to tell him to leave? What mathjak107 does is make us reexamine our own preconceived ideas and biases and that's a very healthy function. Thank you, mathjak!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Maybe the PP is the best diversified portfolio for recessionary times. And one of the worst for all of the others.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Reub wrote:
stuper1 wrote:

Who are you to tell him to leave? What mathjak107 does is make us reexamine our own preconceived ideas and biases and that's a very healthy function. Thank you, mathjak!
I think he was suggesting that mathjak consider coming up with some new arguments against the PP, rather than just making the same old ones every day, especially when the PP has performed better than his personal allocation over the last 15 years, which you would never know from reading his posts.
Maybe the PP is the best diversified portfolio for recessionary times. And one of the worst for all of the others.
...and yet its historical average returns don't fluctuate a lot between recessionary and non-recessionary periods.
-Dwight Eisenhower
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:30 pm

I don't want mathjak to leave.  I don't want anybody to leave.  I think my post was not worded very well.  My bad.

I also don't want to read the same stuff every day, over and over.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Much of what passes for PP dogma is repeated ad nauseum so why not some outside thinking as well?
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:52 pm

I am against censorship, so I believe Mathjak has a right to post here. Besides, every philosophy or investment strategy needs skeptics, critics and a Devil's Advocate to challenge common conclusions or assumptions. If you don't like his postings, no one is required to read them.

But this doesn't mean that I agree with Mathjak as to his critique of the PP. I would also appreciate more concise postings from him. His posts are often so long that I scan them quickly and stop reading if they don't have anything new to say.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:04 pm

It's not censorship to say that the same idea repeated over and over can simply get boring.

Censorship is to say that a discussion is not permitted to go in a certain direction.  What I think we are talking about here is simply keeping the discussion moving in any direction at a rate that exceeds stall speed.
-Dwight Eisenhower
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Reub wrote: Much of what passes for PP dogma is repeated ad nauseum so why not some outside thinking as well?
The only real problem I see with it is that lately every single investing thread devolves into the same back and forth between mathjak and the other participants. I'm sure some posters would like to avoid this, but it's impossible at this point. The guy is just too prolific.

And I wouldn't worry about him going away. He has nearly 36,000 posts on the city-data forum, averaging over 11/day. He's only just getting started here!
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 pm

stuper1 wrote: I don't want mathjak to leave.  I don't want anybody to leave.  I think my post was not worded very well.  My bad.

I also don't want to read the same stuff every day, over and over.
How about this...

Every time mathjak complains about stocks outperforming gold and bonds, he has to attach one of those cool photographs of his to the post?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal