Black Monday

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

mortalpawn

Black Monday

Post by mortalpawn »

Thoughts on today's markets (8/24 or #BlackMonday)?

I think the insanity of this fed driven market is reaching a crescendo.  It looks like the Fed Plunge Protection Team got busy at the open propping up stocks and hammering down gold and treasuries, but liquidity was so thin in the first few hours that most trades were not going through.  Hard to digest a 1000 point loss followed by a 900 point recovery in just a few hours.

So it will be interesting if they can maintain the illusion going into the market close and more importantly to see if Asia and Europe will follow?

I think that #BlackMondaysMatter and this is only the beginning of a wild week to come...
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Black Monday

Post by PP67 »

I saw this this morning and couldn't stop laughing...

Hope you get a chuckle out of an otherwise dismal morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqF83-FmVpM
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

This is so batshit crazy it's hard not to laugh, who can still take the US "markets" serious after this?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

PP67 wrote: I saw this this morning and couldn't stop laughing...

Hope you get a chuckle out of an otherwise dismal morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqF83-FmVpM
Made me smile. :-)
🍍
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Crazy day.  It's helpful to have an occasional reminder of why diversification is a good thing. 

Love that video.  Hilarious. 
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Starting to look like that 1000 points down vs. almost clawing back green was where the market wants to go.  I truly though the PPT would save this.  Only 40 minutes to do that.

Or, this gives great ammo that an interest rate increase in Sept is out of the cards.

Worldwide slowdown.  More money devaluation and printing headed our way.  Hopefully gold will do its thing.
Test of the signature line
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

mortalpawn

Post by mortalpawn »

Dow is down almost 700 now and looks to be accelerating into the close.  Looks like the Fed's Plunge Team could not stem the tide.

Don't give up on your PP - people are selling everything today to cover their margin bets and shadow derivatives which may continue for a while, but I'm betting that tarnished gold will look pretty shiny in a few weeks.

That sound you hear is the world's largest bubble popping...
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

mortalpawn wrote: That sound you hear is the world's largest bubble popping...
That would be bonds :)
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

The volatility is stunning
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

I've been trying not to peek, but I couldn't help it anymore
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

I am quite shocked the markets closed where they did.  Will be interesting to see what happens to China tonight.

At least 75% of the portfolio was basically even comparatively.  I would have liked to see gold do a little better, but maybe all the margin calls are causing the drop for now.  Who knows.

Wonder what the news headlines will look like tonight.
Test of the signature line
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Cortopassi wrote: At least 75% of the portfolio was basically even comparatively.  I would have liked to see gold do a little better, but maybe all the margin calls are causing the drop for now.  Who knows.
The first step is the panic sale.  The true market reaction is still to come. 
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

Nothing to see here, move along.

4500 points intraday dow movement, totally normal.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-2 ... d-insanity

PPT @ work, in a real market, this would be double-digit-drama
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Bought stocks into the close. I don't feel comfortable with the PP unless my equity allocation exceeds 25%. If stocks rally in the upcoming days, gold and treasuries will get massacred. Honestly, I bought gold when it was out of favor (2012,2013,2014) and purchased treasuries during the recent decline as well.

The PP is not performing well at all.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

buddtholomew wrote: Bought stocks into the close. I don't feel comfortable with the PP unless my equity allocation exceeds 25%. If stocks rally in the upcoming days, gold and treasuries will get massacred. Honestly, I bought gold when it was out of favor (2012,2013,2014) and purchased treasuries during the recent decline as well.

That's it.
100% convinced this person is just a troll now.

There is no way in hell this is serious.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

What's PPT?
🍍
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

dutchtraffic wrote:
buddtholomew wrote: Bought stocks into the close. I don't feel comfortable with the PP unless my equity allocation exceeds 25%. If stocks rally in the upcoming days, gold and treasuries will get massacred. Honestly, I bought gold when it was out of favor (2012,2013,2014) and purchased treasuries during the recent decline as well.

That's it.
100% convinced this person is just a troll now.

There is no way in hell this is serious.
Whats so difficult to understand? I'm not explaining it again. You've been a member of this board for 5 minutes now, so take some time to read previous posts.

I'll give you a hint...I manage 2 portfolios.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic »

dualstow wrote: What's PPT?
Plunge Protection Team, as in, the FED, or the FED through proxies, like the Swiss central bank has been doing recently (they bought a ton of US stocks)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-3 ... ecord-loss
Last edited by dutchtraffic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Many thanks / dank u wel
🍍
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hi,

which one is doing better, EUPP or USPP?

Regards!
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Yup, just as I figured. PP down on a down day and down on an up day. What a joke!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

but that is what it does .  looking at where the pp i had is , it is down 27k  still but my own is down 69k . so the pp did it's job . of course when equity's resume mine should move ahead at a faster rate .

remember pp is not a growth vehicle , it preserves and preserving better is what it is doing . to preserve better it needs down markets .
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

buddtholomew wrote:

Yup, just as I figured. PP down on a down day and down on an up day. What a joke!
It's happened plenty of times before.  If you "figured" it would happen again, and find it to be a joke, why do you invest in it?
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

mathjak107 wrote: but that is what it does .  looking at where the pp i had is , it is down 27k  still but my own is down 69k . so the pp did it's job . of course when equity's resume mine should move ahead at a faster rate
You were posting an awful lot about your portfolio's outperformance, so it's nice to see you are man enough to admit when it falters.

Hopefully we don't resolve to the upside too quickly and instead it plays out like a real correction and bounces around before finding a real bottom, summer-2011 style. A prolonged shakeout would probably be great for the equity markets. I'd be happy to jump in heavy at some discounted valuations.